Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Coast Guard Boarded Me in Tampa Bay Today! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180357-coast-guard-boarded-me-tampa-bay-today.html)

boating37 02-21-2008 07:59 AM

I remember when I used to boat back up north in the Great South Bay, those guys used to board me every time they saw me,they just wanted to see what girls myfriends and I picked up at the clubs the night before.They were all good guys. They like looking at ass too, they are human. Figure they are all in there 20's.

Cevert 02-21-2008 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by priceb (Post 2453607)
from what I can see the USA is becoming more and more of a police state.

Hey mate, why don't you tell the readers here about the Norwegian MV Tampa and about the Pacific Solution before you start talking about police states.

CROWN MAN 02-21-2008 08:22 AM

One of the perks of having a small boat :D It only holds 3 Cubans plus me :cool-smiley-011:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-21-2008 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by smokin' joe (Post 2453679)
Naked girls will get you "boarded" every time...

Absolutely :cool-smiley-011: learned that at LOTO .
anybody ever not granted permission to come on board ?? down here i've seen the DNR walkin the docks and asking to come abourd and was surprized the guys who said absolutely NOT ...

bootdaddy 02-21-2008 11:18 AM

glad it worked out and enjoy reading about people's experiences...for future reference

I boat in the 1000 Islands in NYS where the border with Canada cuts right through the middle of the islands and we have the guard, NYS Troopers and NYS park police...

My order of preference 1) troopers all day long - great guys not looking to bust balls, then maybe 2) park police - although they have some very interesting powers and do pretty much anything they want including taking your boat, lastly 3) give me the guard - my problem is that they are typically kids (like 18 or so it seems) and trying to prove themselves and if you don't act scared (hard for me to do) they rant and rave "stand back from that" or "stand down" or whatever bs comes to them until they think they have scared you sufficiently. When you have been boating for longer than they have been living its simply annoying as hell. And as far as the guns drawn...what are you afraid of my 8 year old kid on board???

quick story - the head of the antique boat museum got approached by the guard while in his wooden boat at night with the rollers coming in and they said "stand down permission to come aboard" and he said OK follow me to my dock as I am not letting our boats come close with these waves...and with that just ignored them and went on his way through one of the more difficult shoal navigation driving tests (especially at night)...and the guard just peeled off apparently afraid of the rocks! hee hee hee

Now the guard sits with their lights off to nab drinkers and generally harass people (my opinion)...talk about a safety hazard on the water at night with their lights off...how about practice what they preach!!! And for that matter just profile the "bad guys"!

ApachePete 02-21-2008 12:29 PM

Gotta love 18 year-olds with fire-arms, wearing Jack-boots, who (in actuality) have the power of prosecutor, judge and jury on the water.

Even if your innocent and polite, they can tie you up for hours simply on their say-so. You have zero recourse.

No choice but to kiss the little fu#k-tard's asses.

Great guys when they're saving lives, but what's the deal with hassling civilians?

Bored and macho, and armed.

What a combination! :(

five cent worth 02-21-2008 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2453642)
It was Homeland Security. They were all business untill they were satisfied I was legit. Then all they wanted to do was talk offshore boats.:D

Same thing happened to me when cruising around Lake Erie - going from Peele Island back to PIB and I was stopped. Guys were real cool.

gerritm 02-21-2008 01:23 PM

My nephew is a Coastie stationed at Barneget Bay, NJ. Cap knows him. We see the RIB's in Galveston Bay all the time with 20 year olds and machine guns. Glad to see them. They are just doing their job. We wave and talk to them every chance we get when they stop in our local on the water restaurants. If the immigration, smuggling, and Homeland Security issues were not necessary maybe they wouldn't need to stop and "hassle you". Why blame them for the realities of what is going on in our country. Be glad they are there protecting you and your boat and I am sure one of them will be the first to jump in to save one of our sorry azzes when the we get in trouble.

smokin' joe 02-21-2008 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by boating37 (Post 2453922)
I remember when I used to boat back up north in the Great South Bay, those guys used to board me every time they saw me,they just wanted to see what girls myfriends and I picked up at the clubs the night before.They were all good guys. They like looking at ass too, they are human. Figure they are all in there 20's.

Motoring down the Intracoastal from Shooter's was asked to pull in the Port Everglades Coast Guard Station. Docked, showed registration and safety equipment and received a boarding form and passing grade. Not sure why they stopped us, but the speedboat behind me with the bikini-clad girls was made to linger while they searched for "eye candy"

priceb 02-21-2008 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cevert (Post 2453932)
Hey mate, why don't you tell the readers here about the Norwegian MV Tampa and about the Pacific Solution before you start talking about police states.

Yep, you got me, we too are becoming one...so I don't want to appear to be picking on the usa.

However, we still don't have retina eye scans and thumb prints when you come to australia to visit.

I'm always complaining about how over the top we are becoming...it is just a matter of time before we equal the usa.

As another guy just wrote "its 1984 knocking on your door".

Just the other day I was stopped for a breath test, then was informed it was a drug test, then the cop took the swap and my licence into the booze bus. I thought about it later and thought "this guy could have taken my DNA and used the swab/licence to record it".