Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Coast Guard Boarded Me in Tampa Bay Today! >

Coast Guard Boarded Me in Tampa Bay Today!

Notices

Coast Guard Boarded Me in Tampa Bay Today!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to belong to the Coast Guarad Aux. THe CG. never / ever gave me any hasles. But the reg. water patrol cops.. especially in the inner coasteal around Boca, West Palm and Deerfield beach, are ALL azzholes. THey won't go out of the ICW, with their little dinghies. Just act tough and snotty.
Glad you'r not in trouble Mike.

Last edited by PARADOX; 02-20-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Hey Mike, I've had the same exact experience with those guys. Good thing though I was friendly with them from Fish Tales and they kind of knew me (I did a volunteer safety inspection a few months prior with the CG so that helped).

I was cruising along at about 70, glanced back and saw the CG just motoring along. I thought nothing of it and kept going. 20 minutes later, we slow down to hang out for a bit and watch the sunset and they come barreling down on me. They said that they were following me for an hour (ya, right) and that I was disobeying a government order. I said no way, I was just cruising along, and I never knew that they were trying to stop me. Same thing, no lights, no nothing.

Long story short, after a few tense minutes with guns drawn, etc., we came to a resolution and they let me on my way.

Cool guys, but damn, it's enough to freak you out.

Yeah my pulse is still high right now. WOW so you had the same experiance too! Whoa! I think I had a freakin stroke right then and there when they pulled up and I saw that machine gun in the arms of a guy pointed!

Last edited by FeverMike; 02-20-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what I can see the USA is becoming more and more of a police state.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Last year I was running up the Gulf coast from Marco to Sarasota on my way to the Sarasota poker run. About 4 miles off Naples I see this big center console coming at me on a coarse that looked as tho it was their intent to intercept me. I could see they were not quite keeping up so I backed off some and waited for the lights to come on. It was Homeland Security. They were all business untill they were satisfied I was legit. Then all they wanted to do was talk offshore boats. They thanked me for backing off cause he said "we weren't going to be able to catch you." One of their comments was that they were after Homeland Security to build them some " Nor Tech's". I understand Nor Tech is now building I think it's 18 boats for them. I must talk to Trond - I wonder if I had a little something to do with it ? LOL
Bob
Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Johno
Fun day Mike I don't even like going too far off shore anymore. This is what you get for owning a CC just think if they had dispatched a Blackhawk....you would have been cleaning both your shorts & the boat tonight...lol.
A buddy of mine got pulled over just off Shell Island with 2 girls. They checked his gear & never said anything about the girls being naked. Half the time they are just bored & atleast you gave them something to do...lol
Naked girls will get you "boarded" every time...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by priceb
from what I can see the USA is becoming more and more of a police state.
It's "1984" knocking on your door...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Last year I was running up the Gulf coast from Marco to Sarasota on my way to the Sarasota poker run. About 4 miles off Naples I see this big center console coming at me on a coarse that looked as tho it was their intent to intercept me. I could see they were not quite keeping up so I backed off some and waited for the lights to come on. It was Homeland Security. They were all business untill they were satisfied I was legit. Then all they wanted to do was talk offshore boats. They thanked me for backing off cause he said "we weren't going to be able to catch you." One of their comments was that they were after Homeland Security to build them some " Nor Tech's". I understand Nor Tech is now building I think it's 18 boats for them. I must talk to Trond - I wonder if I had a little something to do with it ? LOL
Bob
If they find contraband, they might get to add your boat to their fleet...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, the Coasties are pretty serious up here in MD also. I just finished sea trialing a customers boat on the Chesapeake and got back to the ramp and the Coast Gaurd pulls in hot. We all tie up and 3 walk over to me and another Tech and say hello. So one says "Permission to board?" I tell him NO SIR! That was the wrong answer!! Then the guns come out. "What do you mean NO?!" So I said it again. I explained to him that I was a Tech out running a customers boat for a running problem and I was responsible for my customers boat and he wasnt getting on. If he rips the interior getting on or breaks a door or lid if he was happen to fall on the boat I was responsible and I will not be put in that position with my customer!! He told me to stay right there! He went and got his Captain. So I explained it to him. Luckly for me they were out on training that day and the captain also told me not to move they would be right back. 5 minutes later the first Coastie comes back and tells me have a nice day!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Yeah my pulse is still high right now. WOW so you had the same experiance too! Whoa! I think I had a freakin stroke right then and there when they pulled up and I saw that machine gun in the arms of a guy pointed!
Yep. They followed me in from Eggmont all the way to the Pier. I guess they were going back to base anyway (Bayboro basin), but it's a bout a 20 minute cruise. Guess I should look back more often.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was stopped and boarded by CUSTOMS officers on Lk. St. Clair near Harsons Island. They were on one of those 30ft. patrol boats like the sheriffs dept. uses. All were wearing flak jackets and one guy on the patrol boat had a shot gun in his hands.They were polite, it was just me and my wife on the boat, maybe they realized I wasn't their target. They went over my paperwork and searched the boat and then let me go. As I was pulling away I saw them going after a Magnum that was coming from the St. Clair. River. Still wonder what they were looking for.

Quick Reply: Coast Guard Boarded Me in Tampa Bay Today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.