Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Carrie Covers issue (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180383-carrie-covers-issue.html)

Viaqua 02-21-2008 07:06 AM

Carrie Covers issue

About 18 months ago I ordered a full cover for my 38 Lightning. A few weeks later it arrived and it fit fairly well. In 90 days it was in shreds having disinigrated due to what carrie covers said was ultraviolet effects. OK- they said, they would send me a new one made of a better material and that the original material "they had problems with". Reasonable. The new one came and it was very nice-fit well and customized in red and white. No problem except after 90 days the red turned into a nauseating pink. OK-the cover was still in good shape and it worked so...even though they represented that in a year maybe I would see a 10% fade and never more than 25% over the life of the cover whatever that meant. Fast forward to last week or about 14 months from when I received the #2 cover and the thing shredded itself for whatever reason again. Mind you the cover is ONLY used at my dock, on my lift and never trailored. It has always been properly secured and never too tight nor loose. I called Carrie Covers last Thursday and left word. I called again on Friday and backed it up with a simple fax "what is your warranty?". That's it since it is not on their website. I called again Monday and emailed them with a simple explanation of what happened. On Tuesday I get an email simply stating " Unfortunately, as much as I would like to assist, I have a one year warranty on my covers. Mickey"

So I can tell you with my $1,640.00 experience with them in the past 18 months I went through 2 covers and both destroyed themselves and the above is their policy. Now everyone here should understand what they may be getting into with them. I also know the "new" price on my cover is at or near $2,000.
Mark

wrinkleface 02-21-2008 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Viaqua (Post 2453859)
About 18 months ago I ordered a full cover for my 38 Lightning. A few weeks later it arrived and it fit fairly well. In 90 days it was in shreds having disinigrated due to what carrie covers said was ultraviolet effects. OK- they said, they would send me a new one made of a better material and that the original material "they had problems with". Reasonable. The new one came and it was very nice-fit well and customized in red and white. No problem except after 90 days the red turned into a nauseating pink. OK-the cover was still in good shape and it worked so...even though they represented that in a year maybe I would see a 10% fade and never more than 25% over the life of the cover whatever that meant. Fast forward to last week or about 14 months from when I received the #2 cover and the thing shredded itself for whatever reason again. Mind you the cover is ONLY used at my dock, on my lift and never trailored. It has always been properly secured and never too tight nor loose. I called Carrie Covers last Thursday and left word. I called again on Friday and backed it up with a simple fax "what is your warranty?". That's it since it is not on their website. I called again Monday and emailed them with a simple explanation of what happened. On Tuesday I get an email simply stating " Unfortunately, as much as I would like to assist, I have a one year warranty on my covers. Mickey"

So I can tell you with my $1,640.00 experience with them in the past 18 months I went through 2 covers and both destroyed themselves and the above is their policy. Now everyone here should understand what they may be getting into with them. I also know the "new" price on my cover is at or near $2,000.
Mark

Thanx, I have considered 1 of these covers!:(

carriecovers 02-21-2008 10:43 AM

response

June 1, 2005 Mr. Mark Graubart ordered an ultralite cover from my company. At that time I explained to him that this was an indoor/temporary poker run cover and it was what he wanted. On Friday, June 10th I shipped the cover to Mr. Graubart. On June 16th he said he had not received it and wanted an immediate refund or new cover. On July 6th Mr. Graubart signed for this cover (documentation from UPS indicates his signature). In the meantime, I had credited his account, giving him the benefit of the doubt, and made a new cover for him which was shipped September 12 and received September 14th. After issues with the ultralite I then made him a 3rd cover out of the hydro-shield at my expense which was shipped January 24, 2006. Now 25 monthes later he is requesting that a 4th cover be made due to fading and tearing. I stand behind all of my products. We have hundreds of satisfied customers who think the world of us and we base our reputation on honesty and integrety. There is not a company in the world who would do what we have done for Mr. Graubart. We again give thanks to all of our other loyal customers.

Viaqua 02-21-2008 11:11 AM

Nonsense

My boat is and always has been at my dock, on my lift-outside. I NEVER requested a poker run indoor cover. That is absurd. I have not requested a 4th cover and would love to see proof that I did. The first covers you sent were defective as admitted by you. Your dates may be admittedly accurate. The cover you say was sent and signed for is simply not true. I never got it, you know it-otherwise you would not have sent a replacement.
This is a public forum, not a personal site. The only possible misstatement made in my original post would be the actual dates that I received your cover that fell apart last. So, to all who may read this, I will give this company the benefit that their covers which are some of the most expensive in the market will not last outdoors for more than 25 months at which time it will completely fail and if it is colored, plan on it fading like crazy within the first 4 months of being outdoors.

racesdad 02-21-2008 12:04 PM

we have had several carrie cover covers on all of our 36 skaters. never, and i mean never, have we had a failure or a ripping matter with any of our three covers. they have sat outdoors in high winds and blowing snow.
i would absolutely recomend one of thier covers for any boat any member here owns. after seeing this i would recommend anyone this product. skater owner have ordered carrie cover because of our cover on the race boat.
i have a very hard time believing this story because of my dealings with the radels.
great people to work with and a great product
mike stancombe
peppers racing

racesdad 02-21-2008 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Viaqua (Post 2454198)
My boat is and always has been at my dock, on my lift-outside. I NEVER requested a poker run indoor cover. That is absurd. I have not requested a 4th cover and would love to see proof that I did. The first covers you sent were defective as admitted by you. Your dates may be admittedly accurate. The cover you say was sent and signed for is simply not true. I never got it, you know it-otherwise you would not have sent a replacement.
This is a public forum, not a personal site. The only possible misstatement made in my original post would be the actual dates that I received your cover that fell apart last. So, to all who may read this, I will give this company the benefit that their covers which are some of the most expensive in the market will not last outdoors for more than 25 months at which time it will completely fail and if it is colored, plan on it fading like crazy within the first 4 months of being outdoors.

fading will always be an issue with being outside storage. as for our skater raceboat, it sits out in all weather and we have not had an issue with our yellow colored cover after 4 years
mike

legacy 02-21-2008 12:22 PM

we also had one of these covers on our boat, the boat was kept under a roof on a lift, and ours did the same thing, one friday nite last year I went down to uncover the boat to find the cover totally torn in half, called carrie cover, and they said well you cant have a new one but we will fix it, sent it back they fixed it, and for maby 2 weeks it lasted until it fell apart again, so I threw the piece of chit away.

fountain4play 02-21-2008 01:41 PM

I'm too considering a full cover for my boat and right now it's two negative and one positive responses to their durability.

Mine would also be used on a lift under my covered down which has sun shades to protect the sides of the boat from the sun. So I would expect the colors to stay consistent and material degradation to a minimum for a number of years.

For what one of these covers cost I would have to agree any premature fading or failure in the material would be totally unacceptable.

I guess I have a couple of questions, what is the expected life of a cover as it relates to holding its color and usability?

I would like to hear from a few others who have them and how are they holding up, good or bad.

I fully understand that the ultra lightweight ones are not designed for use in the elements and are primarily a dust cover but what I'm looking at is one that can be used outdoors without problems.

Unless there are a number of people commenting it's really hard to tell one way or another what's good and what is not.

pm203 02-21-2008 01:57 PM

Still looks like Sunbrella is still the safe way to go.

shark42 02-21-2008 02:23 PM

Same thing happened to me. Just a little over a year old and the back half than gets morning sun ripped to shreds. I sent it back and they replaced the back half. I like how light and easy to store it is, but it does not hold up well. :(