Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SCAM or NO SCAM ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180492-scam-no-scam.html)

29Firefox 02-22-2008 11:54 PM

Options

You have options.

Have him send you a cashiers check. Don't ship till the funds clear all the way back to the bank of origin. Downsides of the check is bogus you will get hit with bounced deposit fees from your bank.

Have him wire you the money. This option is only for people you know personally and trust cause you are gonna have to give him all the info. You could use a temporary account but its a hassle. Also after the money comes in and you move it. Wait 15 days before shipping because he might retract the wire right after he sends it so the money shows and then goes. Also sit on the cash some where else so if the bank comes after it you can give it back and avoid getting jailed.

Another option this one is for when both parties do not trust the other. The other guy goes to his bank gives the bank his funds. The bank keeps the funds and gives him an "Irrevocable Letter of Credit". He sends you the letter and you take it to your bank. Your bank contacts his bank and confirms everything. You also provide your export brokers contact info. Once everyone is on the same page. You deliver the goods to the export broker. He sits on the goods and gives you a notice to take to your bank who then notifies his bank who transfers the funds to your bank who after they receive the funds notifies the broker to release the goods to be shipped. Lots of BS, lots of bank fees but both parties are protected. :p

h2owarrior 02-23-2008 12:35 AM

Total Scam

We transfer funds on a regular basis and there are only two pieces of information required. Account number and bank routing number. This allows a third party to deposit funds in your account but no other access.

I am surprised by the post as I would expect a business that is selling boats that cost several Hundred Thousand Dollars to know this:confused:

cookee 02-23-2008 05:08 AM

As others have said total scam - it's been going on in England for quite a while now - if you ever have any questions over deals from the UK, then feel free to ask and I'll try and find out if they are legit!

TSPM 02-23-2008 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by h2owarrior (Post 2456675)
We transfer funds on a regular basis and there are only two pieces of information required. Account number and bank routing number. This allows a third party to deposit funds in your account but no other access.

I am surprised by the post as I would expect a business that is selling boats that cost several Hundred Thousand Dollars to know this:confused:

Of course we do these transactions with just those two pieces of info all the time in the US........first time for this info in Europe....past European sales go through a US based broker/rep which we check out as legit first...this guy has zero refs.

TSPM 02-23-2008 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by cookee (Post 2456692)
As others have said total scam - it's been going on in England for quite a while now - if you ever have any questions over deals from the UK, then feel free to ask and I'll try and find out if they are legit!

Most likely a scam but sure...go for it....the company name is at the bottom of my first post I will PM the email addy to you.