Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Speed boating and fuel prices >

Speed boating and fuel prices

Notices

Speed boating and fuel prices

Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is'nt that what credit cards are for? Put it on the plastic and worry about paying it off over the winter.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

When my wife and I bought our first boat back in 1998 we would go out by the dam (on Cumberland) of a Friday or Saturday night and see 20 - 30 performance boats of various sizes pair off and go at it in races. After the stock market drop of 2000 the weekend entertainment started to drop off. With the dramatic rise in the price of fuel the last few years racing at the dam has pretty much come to a halt. Other than on poker run weekend performance boating on lake cumberland is a shadow of what it was a decade ago.

As the price of fuel climbs relative to wages fewer and fewer middle income wage earners will buy new performance boats and use the ones they already have less.

Of course the rise in fuel prices doesn't affect members on OSO one bit because we are all exceptional and above the norm
Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The high price of fuel has costed a boat manufacture a sale!
The high price of fuel has costed a trailer manufacture a sale!
The high price of fuel has costed a motor and outdrive company a sale!
And so on and so on.
Im now keeping my boat and will do so for a long time.
Its not that I dont want to suport all these manufactures, it's just with the high price of fuel the future resale's seem bleek at best.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

The way if affects us is that we use the Seadoo more and the Nordic less. The Nordic gets used when we have a crowd of people going, or if we are going offshore, obviously.
As long as we are out on the water, that's all that matters to us.

BUT, that being said, the $ of gas is already hitting home for everyone. I imagine now is not a good time to be selling Bayliners, snowmoblies or anything else to that is a LUXURY item that sucks GAS.
It's the same reason I drive old beater cars, and leave my F-350 sitting in the driveway!
Dean
Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the yearly budget of my Black Thunder fuel is the smallest $ of the budget. However I bought my Concept for most Boating road trips. Outboards are the way to go for fuel economy and speed.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered

Hey, they way I see it if we use less as a country OPEC just cuts production and were back to same high gas prices..So let the green people keep snickering at me when I'm fueling........
Old 02-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by Donzi Corleone
Hey, they way I see it if we use less as a country OPEC just cuts production and were back to same high gas prices..So let the green people keep snickering at me when I'm fueling........
Yeah, no sh*t, Got us by the balls!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Today I ,ve paid $ 7,68 per gallon for regular fuel here in the Netherlands Europe .....yikes

I,m going to diesel right now ,I ve just bought 2 x 440 yanmar diesels and looking for a nice 40 ft hull only.
I give up speed for economy.

Our diesel is cheaper than gas overhere ,but still is $ 6,20 a gallon .

stirling
Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered

I always depend on the folks who want to "go boating". You know the ones that will pay $50 a ticket for a concert or spend $100 in booze every weekend but want to bring a 6 pack of generic beer in exchange for a day on the bay yelling "go faster!" The same ones that say "I'll help you clean the boat. Just give me a call". Yet the call goes to their voice message and you never hear back.

Well you are going out anyway. Yes. I am and without you.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Registered

The gas is the easy part it is the drinking and driving that will KILL you!

Quick Reply: Speed boating and fuel prices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.