Speed boating and fuel prices >

Speed boating and fuel prices

Notices

Speed boating and fuel prices

Old 02-23-2008, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel has drastically changed my boating habits over the years. When fuel was cheaper I use to go to block island a half dozen times a year and now I take the high speed ferry for $20. I now take my boat across the sound to greenport 5 - 6 times a year and the rest of my boating is on the CT river where I do more hanging out with friends than taking trips. I love being on my boat and when I am getting lunch, swimming, and running (a lot of now wake areas) on the river a tank of gas goes a lot farther. I think you need to come up with a comfortable amount of money to spend on fuel for the summer and work backwards. Figure out the weekends you want to go somewhere and the weekends you are just going to hang out on the boat and party. My 2 cents
Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fortius
I have been reading these pages and been wondering,that you guys are not specially concerned about fuel prices and fuel consumption.Speed boating is an expensive hobby and is coming more.The topics here are everything else.Of course everything can't be measured in money especially ones hobby, but anyway.What is boat industry doing?You can't see any answers at boat shows.They put 3-4 a' 300 hp outboards to the transom.The industry is waiting,that the legislation is determining their direction.When the oil price continues its way up,speed boating comes impossible with present kind of energy wasting engines.Are speed boats dinosaurus of this age,have they come to the end of their way?Hummer is like Prius in comparision with a boat consuming 90 gph. Fuel prices are of course a piece of all costs,but a growing one and which is reminding every time you fill you tanks.

I only try to make sense to myself why to change my 24" speed boat to bigger one unless it is at least with diesel engines.
First, these are offshore performance boats, not speed boats. Speed boats are what we use to pull our kids tubing or water skiing. Secondly, boating is a lifestyle to most of us, not a hobby. If you are worried about wasting fuel buy a stick and be happy!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

Being at the lake every day, I watch boats of every size, the ski boats just seem to have more people aboard to split the fuel cost, the big cruisers dont run up and down the lake as much just go to a cove and anchor but thefast boats just about the same poker runs ect. but everyone is still on the lake regardless
Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll agree with the next guy that fuel prices are way too high right now, but at least for me taking the boat out is a great form of relaxation...we have to travel 360 miles one way just to get to the lake and usually do that 20 to 25 times a summer...Yes fuel is a big expense for a weekend but depending on what's going on we might spend as much on food and drinks as we do on gas...
Old 02-23-2008, 01:28 PM

The biggest change to me ha been the distance I go to boat, not the way I boat. I spend more time at the local lakes and the river vs. going to LOTO, Table rock, KY lake etc. Burnin' gas in the boat is therapy. Burnin' gas in the truck just sucks.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Costs me the same to heat my house as I spend on gas in the summer. Always the same bill, just which energy company gets my $$ changes with the season. I'm not shutting off the heat or my motors. It's just what it costs.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sunchaser796
if ya gonna complain about the cost of fuel, then let your boat sit for 3 or 4 months and then sea what its gonna cost ya. and I can tell ya when all said and done it would be enough to fill the tank. And yes I would keep my 24" speed boat cause it don't cost very much to run on nitro fuel @ 15 bucks a gallon. BTW OFFSHORESTEVE didn't know they had enough water in Lanier to run boats in with out hitting tree stumps unless you stay in the middle of the lake ....
Not true plenty of water just a lot more obstacles! Fortunately we have a place on the tenn. river and at Ft Myers Fl. so we will not be limited to lake Lanier
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered

get a cat with outboards ...best fuel efficiency bang for the buck................. go fast and save gas... great idea !
Old 02-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stainless
get a cat with outboards ...best fuel efficiency bang for the buck................. go fast and save gas... great idea !
So far 3mpg @ 80mph
Old 02-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Registered

It's a beautiful thing !

Quick Reply: Speed boating and fuel prices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.