Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Speed boating and fuel prices >

Speed boating and fuel prices

Notices

Speed boating and fuel prices

Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wait until high tide to go boating. As the tide goes out, I flooat out with it. It gets me around the tip of Ft Myers Beach and into the Gulf. After sitting in the gulf for a few hours, the tide changes and we head in. Of course, we have to start the engine for a course correction sometimes, or to charge the batteries, so the stereo doesn't kill them. There you go, other than beer and snacks, a cheap day on the boat!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered

Lasso a manatee on the Intracoastal and let 'em tow ya...
Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think its Osama ........
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Costs me the same to heat my house as I spend on gas in the summer. Always the same bill, just which energy company gets my $$ changes with the season. I'm not shutting off the heat or my motors. It's just what it costs.
hey that makes sense, well we are spending 700 to 800 on oil for the house a month right now so if I'm back to work this summer I will look at it that way. It doesn't hurt as much. I'm lucky theres a big sand bar off of plymouth beach its a 5min ride at 80.its about 25 bucks in gas to trailer from my house to the ramp. other ramps at the same distance get me 16miles to newport RI, AND 50 MILES TO BLOCK Island. another 15miles from Boston so its not bad. But I do miss getting 100 octane for 2.00 or 93 for 1.50 just acouple of years ago 02 to 04 we are getting phucked. I would like to spend the extra 2 to 2.50 a gal on perforance parts for my boat then piss away because the goverment won't look in to why at 50 to 60 a barrel we pay 3.00 a gal for fuel and now at 80 to 100 a barrel we pay 3.00 a gal. why heating oil is more than gas, no big storms over the summer warm winter yet we are getting phucked. I did save alot on gas this yr since alot of my boat stuff got stolen last spring. well time to move on next !!artps I think the guy might have a 24' boat and just hit the wrong key maybe.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

It's kind of pathetic that for many gas prices have reduced boating to a five minute thrill ride to a sandbar or cove, just to sit around the rest of the day. Probably, not a big change for the Havasu people though, except I'm not sure they even have a five minute thrill ride.

Michael
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

I'm staying in the cove where I put my boat in this year. Just back it off and float out. I may buy a trolling motor and not even put the engine back in it!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
Sounds like you need a Sailboat

BAAAAA HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Filling up the truck with 90 gallons of diesel is like a boat fill up used to be a few years back.

The prices are crazy but you have to spend your money on something you enjoy or life is not worth living.

I'm building new engines with blowers and when asked why I would do that with fuel prices like they are my reply is "I may go boating less, but I plan to have more fun when I go"!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

I'd like to put 100-120 hours on my boat a season, now I only put on about 60 hours a season.

Some here say fuel is the cheapest part, maybe that's true for them. Some of us run stock motors and don't stress our equipment, and some of us run less expensive boats. Fuel is the most expensive part for me. Monthly I spend about 75% more in fuel than my boat payment, I spend as much in fuel a month as I do a year in insurance, and if I have any major repairs, it's going to cut into my fuel budget. I try to be diligent about maintenance and try not to overstress my equipment so that I don't have to pay huge repair bills.

Although, fuel costs in a performance boat are generally significantly less than in a comparable cruiser.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah gas is expensive, but so what. This isn't a hobby for me, it's more like a way of life! I only have a 2 mile drive to the gas station then 2 more miles the the boat ramp so i consider myself lucky. I let my gf buy the beer and i get the gas, most times it's only the two of us but any time friends come along they are more than willing to chip in! It's like i tell all my friends.....Dinner $75, Movie w/ snacks $20, drinks at the bar later $40 = $135. I don't think i spend that much on a saturday on the lake, I just don't go out after i put the boat up that night.

Quick Reply: Speed boating and fuel prices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.