Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Putting a larger battery in a Waverunner? Like a regular boat battery (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180760-putting-larger-battery-waverunner-like-regular-boat-battery.html)

BAJA WILL 02-26-2008 08:47 AM

Putting a larger battery in a Waverunner? Like a regular boat battery

Tired of always messing with a stupid little motorcycle battery in our waverunner. I was considering mounting a boat battery in it?? It is a 3 person and the battery is in the rear, plenty of room and we never have more than 2 people on it anyway.

So my question is will this hurt anything?? Their both 12 volt batteries one is just bigger and more amps??

Thanks

WILL??:D

Edward R. Cozzi 02-26-2008 09:11 AM

You may have to reinforce the mountings so it stays put. Being bulkier and heavier it will exert more force on landings.

VetteLT193 02-26-2008 09:14 AM

The main reason (beyond the light weight aspect) they use the smaller batteries is they are spill proof.

If you do hard turns, or should ever flip the ski over, you will be hosed with a standard battery. If you decide on a bigger one, make sure it's spill proof. Optima is probably the best choice...

THLWL 02-26-2008 10:43 AM

We have 2 4-wheelers. One is a little older and has the small type battery. However, the other has a battery about twice the size of the lawnmower size battery. It is only about 1/2 the size of a car battery. Gel or absorbed glass (AG) is the way to go. If you go too large, the small engine battery charger on the waverunner may not be able to charge it.

BAJA WILL 02-26-2008 10:55 AM

I was thinking of a small boat battery wich is about double the size of the battery in there.

Sydwayz 02-26-2008 11:13 AM

Are you having a draining/dead battery issue?

How about just putting in a battery cutoff switch?

Knot 4 Me 02-26-2008 12:15 PM

Switch to an AGM type battery and/or simply unscrew the positive lead when the ski is going to sit for any amount of time. It literally takes less than a minute to unhook the battery. I would not add a larger battery.

Propster 02-26-2008 01:09 PM

You could go to the biggest (Harley) motorcycle battery. Not much bigger, but more cranking power. My bike can sit half the year and will start right up when I want to go.

BAJA WILL 02-26-2008 03:59 PM

cut off switch is not a bad idea, I had been unhooking it but the computer and crap has to be reset each time and its a hassle. Basically the computer has got to be draining it when it sits for more that 3 weeks.

DMOORE 02-26-2008 08:12 PM

Yerp, a cut off switch is the way to go. The computers have just enough draw to kill a battery in a month or so. Install the switches and be done with the problems.

Darrell.