Notices

Sonic vs Velocity

Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to contact Lenny @ the factory. I think he still has a couple year old trade-in with low hours.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

All i can say is i like my Velocity,a 30,been in some rough water and it handled it well,if you take a wave on the side of any boat,its bad,but with good steering,i can drive with no hands!!!,but not FAST!!!. I have to agree with most of the above posts about the ride,but who wants to go out in severe weather??? that velocity for that $$$ sounds good to me good luck tripps
Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Velocity is the older 320 and not the newer 322 then I say go with the Sonic.

Not to offend anyone here but about the only boat Velocity every made that handled worse than the 320 was the really old 35. They made the boat by blocking a 41 mold and ended up making it 2' shorter than they initially wanted. If you measure it transom to bow it's 29' 6" long. Because the pad and strakes were not significantly modified from the 41 the boat has too much lift. The ONLY 320's that actually handle well are the single engine versions and they take a ton of HP to run past 70 mph.

The 322, OTOH is a remake of the old 30 and although it's a real "drivers" boat it's handling is predictable and is a REALLY fast hull. Probably one of the fastest non-ventilated hulls on the market today.

As for Sonics blowing my Velocity's in the rough stuff, that's purely a matter of whose behind the wheel. My 26' would run in the snot as well as most any of the "traditional" V-hull boats due to it's longer running surface and sharply angled entry. Trimmed correctly a Velocity in the rough is not that harsh. Trimmed to run up on the pad and rear strakes it will "pop" and not only beat the crap out of you it will love to send it's nose sky high. Drop the trim and push the boat through the waves (kind of like the Sonic and other straight V bottoms) and the boat is very forgiving.

A friend and member here has a 41 Velocity that has run many a days off the NJ coast with Sonics, and other straight V's and he's rarely in the back of the pack, regardless of conditions.

OTOH, knowing the way the lake chops up, with tall, short waves, I think a traditional V-Bottom is your best bet. Pads, steps and other air entrapment hulls will take more attention when the going gets rough.

I say broaden your horizon and look at some older Donzi's, Power Plays, Scarabs, etc. The 33' Power Play sport deck is a damn fine boat.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 322, OTOH is a remake of the old 30 and although it's a real "drivers" boat it's handling is predictable and is a REALLY fast hull. Probably one of the fastest non-ventilated hulls on the market today.

As for Sonics blowing my Velocity's in the rough stuff, that's purely a matter of whose behind the wheel.
MJW930,
I am glad there is some one to agree with on this thread. The 30 is a great boat. They are fast and fun with modest power. There is no comparison in my mind.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Only becuase he stated what his budget was and, as you can see, you almost have to get a 20 year old AT to get it that cheap!

(don't shoot at me, please. Brian's seriously under the weather and I am just covering for his smart-azz)
It's all good..but if this was a Fountain thread Brain would feel good enough to start posting. I still say "The Cult" is slackin'!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
It's all good..but if this was a Fountain thread Brain would feel good enough to start posting. I still say "The Cult" is slackin'!
Sooooo not true Miek. I like them all, I just like some more than others. Monsoon is going up for sale, and who knows what I'll buy next.

If I had a 32' Active Thunder in my pocket, I'd advise him to look at it. If he could find a 38' Fountain in his price range, that would be a good comparison to the boats he is looking at.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Sooooo not true Miek. I like them all, I just like some more than others. Monsoon is going up for sale, and who knows what I'll buy next.

If I had a 32' Active Thunder in my pocket, I'd advise him to look at it. If he could find a 38' Fountain in his price range, that would be a good comparison to the boats he is looking at.
I'm just busting on ya...you know that...having some fun! Hey they are waiting for you on the Baja Fountain thread over in the Fountain section. Hope you feel better soon, Mike
Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Not to offend anyone here but about the only boat Velocity every made that handled worse than the 320 was the really old 35. They made the boat by blocking a 41 mold and ended up making it 2' shorter than they initially wanted. If you measure it transom to bow it's 29' 6" long. Because the pad and strakes were not significantly modified from the 41 the boat has too much lift. The ONLY 320's that actually handle well are the single engine versions and they take a ton of HP to run past 70 mph.
I heard the same thing.....

From what I've heard, as long as you keep them on the pad you're good... It's a drivers boat...

I've been on a few...they go good for the power they have, just not my comfort level which is strictly an opinion...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk to 1hyper1 here on the board. He has probably the fastest 320 around. He's a pretty straight forward guy who will tell the good and the bad with the boat.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
my00b16si

Sonic

Quick Reply: Sonic vs Velocity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.