Notices

Ilmor 710

Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reassurance nascat, its good to hear.

Is it safe to "assume" a brand new 710 would come with said package? A merc switchover has obvious benefits availability wise.

Whats a spare impeller and housing run? Or is it even remotely the same type of setup- I cant get any details form the ilmor site.

I did see KPM makes a replacement housing and impeller (Ive read ALL the data VS Hardin Eickert very entertaining.)

Also it looks like Im in the window of a 2 year warranty which will be cool, but Id suspect drive issue before engine issues.

Another choice I turned down was the awesome TPI hand built 850 like a teague but even better. Taylors getting a lot of good play out here.

I figured the ilmor was more serviceable in more location (second only to merc) and with the torque higher up in the cure like quent says Id have fewer drive issues overall.

As well should for some reason the boat go up for sale in the future Ilmor plays in the east where as Teague and TPI are foreign out there. Although Im still "married to Bob Teague" on the drive

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwod nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave,

To my knowledge all the Ilmor bolt on stuff is the same, pulleys, belts, pumps etc.

I don't think you are going to be able to retro fit a Merc pump based on the mounting plate, location, pulley style etc. My engines have been outfitted w/ Hardin pumps which use the std merc impeller, gaskets, o-rings etc.

The KPM is a nicely designed pump, the ones sent to me were preproduction & didn't function properly. I don't believe they are distributed in the USA anymore.

Not sure when you expect to take delivery of your boat but have faith that Ilmor is working diligently on a drive solution. You should have both a Teague or IMCO drive option.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered

Thanks again, I suspect the mod may be your the hardin pump solution you describe.

With luck Ill get my ride in a month and a half or so- just in time for "winter".

Ilmor is smart to do a drive, and ultimately it may be a better way to go however even if the Ilmor drive solution was available to today Id still go with the Teague platinums for a couple of reasons.

The merc/teague/imco X-dimesnions, and mountings have been tested and proven on my particular boat.

To go with a new drive is to "test" a new unproven x dimension and setup, not that they couldnt get it right, I just have real bad luck being the first into anything.

The Teagues are rated to 900HP and you can do most work on them with Bravo tools (yeah parts come from elsewhere)

In my mind The right time to buy an ilmor drive is about 12 -18 months after they ship the first ones. that wasy some one else can take the arrrows in the back like a true pioneer.

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan
Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ILMOR pump uses the SAME impellor as the Merc.
Also the same housing as the Merc 1075
So what are YOU trying to do??
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Registered

I tell the story in an earlier post.

I was told the Ilmors have an issue with prolonged idling but the fix was a pump mod. Im trying to see who has seen this mod and done what with their ilmors- do you have one?

IF you guys want you can take a look at my new build in the Laveycraft forum. There is a nice hi res pict of my avatar in there and my new 2750 in the vacuum bag.

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan
Old 08-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I was told that when the Ilmors first came out the pump pulley was too large and at idle speed the pump wasn't moving enough water and would burn up the impeller. They solved the issue by introducing a smaller pump pulley which increased the impeller rpm (and water flow) at idle. I'm pretty sure the new pulley would be on all of the newer engines shipped for at least the last few years (if not longer) and from what I have heard they have been good about replacing the older ones at no cost.

I have a long idle to get in and out of my marina and I'd have to say that I have gone through my share of impellers, but I think my most of my failures could have been avoided if I had changed the impeller at the start of every season. It's also recommened to replace the o-rings once in a while because once worn they let air into the pump which further reduces water flow - which burn up your impeller - which is why I may have been burning up impellers. I told my my dealer I was having issues and Ilmor shipped them new O-rings free of charge to give to me.

Don't sweat it because I'm pretty sure they have the water issues worked out by now.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Registered

I hope you are right-Marginmn, I really do.

Im a bot worried though because Jeff at Lavey specifically told me they were going to mod the pump on my new engine to address this shortcoming. He also cited this as the engines only very minor and easily fixable issue.

Pretty amazing guys with this problem are so quiet, (maybe because they've been serviced extremely well and quickly?) and even more that a company with the resources ilmor has a problem like this to begin with, or do they- I cant seem to get people talking about it.

Ive got a request to call when the crate gets delivered so I can take picts and document any mod.

Marginmn- which Ilmor(s) are you running?

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan
Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered

625's.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered

I burned one up in June on my starboard engine, at that time my dealer contacted Ilmor to find out why I was going through them so often - usually a couple a season. Granted this one got me through half of last season and a month of this season. At that time they wanted to know the size of my pump pully - once that checked out they said try some new O-rings. So far so good on that engine and the port impeller from last year is still working. I was thinking about changing that one and putting in new O-rings before I run the Lake Cumberland Poker run. Either way I will change both impellers in the spring from now on. Oh, and I did try one of those blue impellers and that thing wouldn't pull water at all.

Did the Levy guy explain exactly what they were going to do to your pump to make it better, and have you thought about calling Ilmor directly and talking to one of their tech to see if there even is an issue?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered

Hmmm, let me see if I understand this.

You burned through 2 impellers in 1 season and Ilmor calls you and ask you what size pulley is on your stock ilmor 625?Sohouldn't they know?

(Id guess filling a larges sea strainer from empty may cause the impeller to run dry for a bit of time, but 2 in one season? sounds like a lot to me)

Yeah Jeff explained the stock impeller is a merc unit, and what they do is use the mercury pump housing and modify the bracket and voila- no more issue.

Your -o- ring air leaking issue is gone and so is the issue of anew housing should it bubble/burn to severely to be reused as you just use a merc part now.

Frankly - Id prefer a merc part for parts availablity.

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan

Quick Reply: Ilmor 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.