Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ilmor 710 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180928-ilmor-710-a.html)

tomcat 02-29-2008 10:47 AM

What RPM does the 710 run? If the answer is 6500, then maybe the 700SCi at 5200 isn't that far off, blower drive loss balanced by lower mechanical losses at lower RPM.

On the other hand, if the V-10 is better than the BBC let's add a blower to it!:D What will the block and rotating assembly handle if you supercharge it? Is the 710 using the better parts I hear the car guys talking about?

Tom

Southocg 02-29-2008 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by leilas (Post 2465488)
remember an article about a comparison of the 710 and merc 700, merc got better fuel economy, and thought the Ilmor was priced at or a little more than the merc. They are also working on an drive and 800hp version for late this year.

I think it was a 39'ish Outerlimits, twins.

The Ilmor was priced a little more.
The Ilmor got better fuel economy at higher speeeds but didn't do as well at lower speeds.

The Ilmor was slightly faster (prop accordingly) with a top speed of 109 to 108 1/2 or something to that affect.

Southocg 02-29-2008 11:04 AM

Well, I was way off.

Motors, speed, etc.

Here's the link.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/_media/...e--Boating.pdf

Marginmn 02-29-2008 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Southocg (Post 2465403)
The story I got from Bob (w/Ilmor) is that it was just a full motor swap for everyone that had a bad batch... Not that it really matters. In the long run the customer got taken care of.

I bought a set of new Ilmor takeout engines based on such grand promises of customer satisfaction to come. Then after the purchase when reality didn't live up to the sales pitch I was asked by his boss, "Did you get that in writing?"

Two years ago I spent a lot of money switching from a set of Mercury 525's to Ilmor 625's largely based on promises about how I would be able to upgrade my engines to the 710's at a low cost once they were introduced the following spring. Based on that promise I endured a rigging nightmare at their rigger (of cost and time) to make the Ilmors fit in my Fountain. After enduring a four month, 300+ hour rigging job (I was told before-hand that the Ilmors would be easy to swap with the Mercs -WRONG) Ilmor backed away from their promise to take care of me regarding the 710 upgrade. So after missing half a boating season while this install was going on (it was suppose to take 3- 4 weeks) and after spending $52K on engines and $20K+ and 4 months to have them installed (the bill was larger but the rigger said he didn't feel right charging me $30K+ because the orignial estimate was a mere $3K per side), so after all that I go a whopping 2mph faster than my Merc 525's, and then months later .............after all this trouble and expense......... Ilmor says they can't honor their promise to take my engines back in on trade towards the 710's. I am told that too many customers want to exchange them so I am SOL.

I wont bore you with the gory details that followed but I'll probably never again be as passionate about performance boating after this boondoggle. I'll get over it someday but it's going to take a while. It's not so much the money (I can afford to pay up) but the principal of it all that has left a bad tase in my mouth.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the Ilmor product per-say - it's just that in my case the sales pitch about performance gains and future upgrades wasn't based in reality. The engineers are great. I hear the service people are great. But god forbid that you ever have to call out the sales manager because you want him to honor a sales pitch that sold you on the Ilmors in the first place. To say the least it kind of makes you feel..... ...unwanted.... by the whole Ilmor family.

BTW Ilmor, I am still have that nasty harmonics problem that I've had from day one when the engines are below 4000 rpm - a range where we customers often like to run them. We were suppose to address it when we swaped out to the new 710's but as you know that never happened - so I still have the same problem I complained about right after the install, in 2006. If you still offer that outstanding customer service how about fixing my problem with your engines because no one enjoys riding in this boat when it is below 4000 rpm because of that darn dronning. (Btw, if you do finally contact me about fixing the problem can you have anyone but the sales manager do it because the two of us just don't communicte well).

Originally Posted by TUFFboat (Post 2465244)
Not so good with us.
We had an agreement for Ilmor to join us at a boatshow and share a booth with us. We were giving them space for free. Plans made, forms sent etc... everything all great and then they pull a 'no show'. Not even a call to say "can't make it" or anything, just disapeared.
Kind of leaves a taste.

Yea I spent a couple weekends at home because he told me he was coming into town to meet with me and iron out my issues. Both times he was a no-show and didn't even give me a follow up phone call to explain why.

I've never heard any other complaints from members here on OSO about the Ilmor sales pitch so I just assumed that for whatever reason I was the only unlucky person that had received such mis-statements - so I kept my trap shut. If your post is correct then I guess that isn't the case.

Claiming that your company did a "full motor swap" instead of what appears to the reality, "Ilmor came and repaired them" doens't seem like much when you are all excited about making a new boat purchse, but I wish I had know that the guy was prone to such mis-statements before I bought into his sales pitch.

Live and learn.
Live and learn.

Southocg 02-29-2008 01:47 PM

WoW...................................

I got to be honest, I'd be half tempted to drag my $h!t to their front door.

This is bar far the most extreme case of bad service from Ilmor I've heard of.

vagrant 02-29-2008 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=NASCAT;2463096]Own a boat w/ Twin 625's & in the process of trading up for a boat w/ 710's

Feel free to call me.

704-455-0659 W
704-376-3761 H[/QUOTE

Ok spill it. Is the one that was in Palaka?

Marginmn 02-29-2008 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Southocg (Post 2466130)
WoW...................................

I got to be honest, I'd be half tempted to drag my $h!t to their front door.

This is bar far the most extreme case of bad service from Ilmor I've heard of.

I put a good deal of time into getting them to honor the promise. My rigger, errr, their rigger, also put in a good deal of time trying to ge them to do right by me. After a year of wrangling we finally got something out of them on paper. But it was no where near what they had promised me the previous year and when I countered they quickly pulled even that offer - the only one on paper they ever gave me to take my engines back in on trade.

I trade stocks for a living and if my head isn't totally into that I can lose a lot of money fast. I thought about calling them out on OSO but it takes time, energy and in my case it would cost a lot of missed opportunity in my trading. I have also never heard a bad word about them on OSO so I considered myself the unlucky guy who feel thru the cracks. So I let it go.

I likely never would have mentioned anything but when you casually detailed how you were told what appears to be an exaggeration it struck a nerve. To not say anything at that point runs contrary to what OSO is all about - sharing experiences.

specman 02-29-2008 03:41 PM

I have asked the same question.
I think early on this was a problem.
They caught it and fixed it by adding a return line and my understanding is that this took care of the problem.
John

Southocg 02-29-2008 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by specman (Post 2466254)
I have asked the same question.
I think early on this was a problem.
They caught it and fixed it by adding a return line and my understanding is that this took care of the problem.
John

If your talking about the vapor lock, I believe a return was added and it fixed the problems.

NASCAT 02-29-2008 03:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=vagrant;2466132]

Originally Posted by NASCAT (Post 2463096)
Own a boat w/ Twin 625's & in the process of trading up for a boat w/ 710's

Feel free to call me.

704-455-0659 W
704-376-3761 H[/QUOTE

Ok spill it. Is the one that was in Palaka?

There are actually 2 options out there! Both have Ilmor 710's. Ones a 30 & one's a 32. I've not made a deal for either of them, YET!!:cool-smiley-027: