Notices

Ilmor 710

Old 03-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Whereas all my experiences w/ Ilmor have been positive I do remember reading and or hearing about MarginMn's experiences but simply don't know what to make of it, nor the fact that Ilmor bailed on attending a boat show w/o giving any notice. Only those involved know what really happened. Both experiences are so opposite of Ilmor's commitment to building a superior product & offering 5 star support. As in any business there are going to be less than desirable outcomes from time to time that everyone learns from hopefully.

A fellow boater of mine was affected by the valve train recall & I know for a fact he received 2 new engines. The crisis was he had custom colored engines that aren't just sitting there on the floor at Ilmor ready to go like the silver & red ones are. Supplying 2 new engines was critical to keeping his boat build on schedule and Ilmor prevailed. If after recalling & tearing down a few engines to better determine what was going on Ilmor determined the problem was isolated to a component that could be replaced in the field & that deemed to be more cost effective that decision would make sense to me. I don't see Ilmor as being judged by an all or nothing jury. It their perogative to cover their engines underwarranty as they see fit. At the end of the day the customer moves forward w/ valvetrain free issues then Ilmor has lived up to their commitment.

Just one man's $.02 & I would say the exact same thing if we were talking about our friends at Merc.

Last edited by NASCAT; 03-01-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30 0r 32

Mike,
Are you leaning towards the 32 or the 30 skater??
I have seen the 30 and is is really fast and nice.
Bill Jr. went by me in a 30 like i was standing still.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Steet
I have had the 550's and now the 625's and can assure you they are one of the best engines on the market today. I was a diehard Merc fan until I had the ilmors. I got extremely good customer service from Ilmor and only had one problem which they flew Ian down to my house, on my dock, and fixed the problem, which was an idle solenoid. Lets see a mec tech come to your house. Not knocking any techs, but I know their answer would be bring in the boat for a check up. I now have 3 Ilmor service centers within a 30 min drive.
As for fuel economy, merc is not in the ball game. You can ask anyone that boats in our club what kind of fuel mileage I get. On long trips I will get equivalent fuel mileage of the 496 merc package in nearly the same boat and weight. As for the 700 mer vs. the 700 Ilmor, I undestand the Ilmor is about 40% more fuel eff. than the merc.
Rebuilds? Merc 200 to 300 hrs depending on how hard you drive. Ilmor 350 to 500 hrs. depending on how hard you drive. New drives, they are testing drives now and hope to have them out by the end of the year. If they are as good as their motor package, I will own them also
Any one want to talk about specifics, call me at 704-239-1410

How did you arrive the 40% mark........ Is there something out there that shows this data or just your experience.

I would love it to be true...............................
Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by specman
Mike,
Are you leaning towards the 32 or the 30 skater??
I have seen the 30 and is is really fast and nice.
Bill Jr. went by me in a 30 like i was standing still.
Both are nice boats. I like prefer the cockpit & instrumentation of the 30 but the paint on the 32. As an overall package I like the 30, but as a more bullet proof & bigger water capable boat the 32 is the better choice. Ultimately I can't really afford the 32 unless I get a small piece of todays $155M Powerball! Stay Tuned!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered

Steet,

Who has Ilmor identified as Ilmor service capable in our area? I knew Extreme Marine was selling boats w/ the power but I didn't think they actually serviced them at the current time.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys can identify me as your service guy!!! I'll come down ANYTIME to get away from this Michigan weather!!! Or if you really need me, i'd come too.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone have the HP and TQ dyno curves for the 550, 625 and 710 engines? Please post.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Southocg
How did you arrive the 40% mark........ Is there something out there that shows this data or just your experience.

I would love it to be true...............................
Southocg, the numbers I got were from dyno testing results between the 2 engines. I have not seen the test sheets though. From my experience, I do not have a hard time believing the numbers.
Michael as for service facilites in our are there are actually 4 listed, but I only listed the 3 that were close to us.
Boat Repair Plus--Denver
Marine Machine---Cornelius
Extreme Marine--Salisbury
and Powerboat Sevice--- Raleigh---Sonnys Guy
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

does anyone on this board have some real hours on the 710, like 100 hours or more. Im trying to figure out how the motors will last 500 hours if someone does not have anywhere close to that, and better yet stating that the 700 Merc..who has a track record, will only get about 2-300 hour life span..Thanks Jeff
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Quent
Platinum Member

Default Ilmor 710

Sixty hours on a 2007 710 in a '07 Lavey Craft 24 with IMCO SC drive absolutely trouble free. Out of the 39 rigs that I've owned this is the most satisfying yet. Certainly the Merc 525HP was nice as was the Crockett 565 Whipple. But for my style of boating, (freshwater lake, I'm old, I like to accelerate, I like to go pretty fast, and I like semi-exotic stuff) this is the ticket. Vee bottom, torque at a relatively high rpm, 6300 redline, equals less drive issues.

Low 90's is good enough for me considering all the drives that I've bought and time lost waiting for some part because of overpowering, over driving, etc. Probably the best part is that there are no after market parts that I can buy and screw this thing up. I have been triple guilty of the propensity to "if it ain't broke, break it by out thinking the engine designer."

Ilmor makes a good piece. Perfect? No. I'm satisfied I can break it but no luck yet. Quent

Quick Reply: Ilmor 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.