Notices

LED trailer lights?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED trailer lights?

Can anyone give me an opinion about LED's on the trailer? I hear they last really long on trailer applications. Where can I get a good set for my 45' Nextrail trailer?

Thanks guys,
Chuck
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have all LEDs on my trailer, and love them. Almost all new boat trailers and even semi-trailers are all LEDs.

www.superbrightleds.com can probably net you everything you need.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

I was hoping to get a full kit instead of buying all the pieces (tail lights, wire, clearance lights, etc.) seperate.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

I forgot which brand it is, but Outdoor World has a set of LEDs (tail lights, wire, hardware) with all stainless hardware for $50 or $60. Doesn't come with amber side marker/clearance lights but those should be easy enough to find (without the stainless hardware). Might be worth poking around Ebay?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Ah, then check www.overtons.com and www.boatersworld.com

Remember you can't have too many lights on the trailer. Its also helpful to have turn signals on the sides of the trailer as well as the back. I've got a pair built into the beams of my trailer, and they will get your attention if I am taking over your lane.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

I added them about 2 yrs ago and LOVE 'em. I did side markers down the sides and LED all across the back. Every joint is solder/shrink wrapped and I ran separate ground wire from each light to the plug to eliminate any grounding thru the trailer issues. Knock on wood has worked perfectly ever since.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHUCK
Can anyone give me an opinion about LED's on the trailer? I hear they last really long on trailer applications. Where can I get a good set for my 45' Nextrail trailer?

Thanks guys,
Chuck
They look great! I put them in my Myco after a complete restoration of the trailer this winter......couldn't find a kit....bought all lights individually from a semi-truck dealership and ran all new wiring myself.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only way to go
Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I am a true believer of LEDs now. I have had them on the last two trailers and have never had one go out to date. Here are some of the advantages of LEDs over conventional bulbs.

1. The LED lights have no filament to break. This is great on a trailer because of the beating, banging and vibration they are subjected to, especially when running empty. This translates to substantially fewer burned out lights.

2. LED lights put a much lighter load on your electrical system.

3. LED lights do not generate heat like a standard bulb.

4. Most LED lights are waterproof.

5. Led lights are said to have a faster reaction time meaning that they light up quicker when you hit the brakes. It might only be a split second, but in an accident every second counts.

I am sure that there are more benefits to the LEDs, but this is what I have been able to find out about them over the past few years. I have them on most of my trailers (boat and others) now and they work great.

If you do a new lighting setup, consider a mid mount turn signal like Sydwayz mentioned. I had them put on the Apache trailer when it was built and it does seem to help. When you get somebody beside you that is just sitting there looking at the boat, it lets them know that you want to move over.