Notices

E85 85% Corn Alcohol (ethanol)

Old 03-02-2008, 05:58 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

As I said earlier.... It's a sh!t fuel.

It's only advantage is that it makes the "Spotted Owl Kisser" liberals feel good.

A gallon of ethanol contains approx. 80,000 BTUs. A gallons of unleaded regular contains about 119,000 BTUs. As a result, a standard barrel (42 gallons) of ethanol is worth about 28 gallons of gasoline. So it takes 50% more Ethanol to replace the energy stored in Gasoline.

And as mentioned above it takes 3 times more energy to get Ethanol in your gas tank than gas. Making it a MONUMENTAL WASTE OF MONEY imposed to us by the Government.

What it is actually is a derived way to provide Farm subsidy, period.

It still is a sh!t fuel both by it's volumetric energy density and it's MONUMENTALLY ENORMOUS carbon footprint for you "bark Chewers"...

And to quote Forrest Gump.... " That's all I have to say about that."
Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

[

Older fiberglass gas tanks use resin that will break down from contact with ethanol. Newer fiberglass tanks use a different resin and are compatible with ethanol. Same story with fuel hoses, if you run E10 (most of us have to now) make sure your fuel hose has the appropriate SAE markings on it, I believe it's SAE J1527, but that's totally off the top of my head so don't quote me on that.

[/QUOTE]

Ethanol will break down newer fiberglass tanks .. been there done that...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Payton, What brand and formulation of fuel have you been using ? Have you taken any maintainance precautions not taken when using straight gasoline ? Do you use fuel/ water separators ? How long does your boat stay in the water?

Sure, I have concern for fiberglass tanks. However,the bigger picture includes safety,marine economic impact and pollution,the same items Hawaii reportedly considered for their reverse mandate.

The guts of the matter appears to be phase separation.
Therefore,pending a solution for phase separation,why not endorse Hawaii's position?
The brands I use are small companys The local
farm Bureau delivers to our yard. I fill ere when my boat is home. They have their own refinery and haul and blend their own ethanol. When my boat is at the marina (75% of the time) I use Family Express, an Indiana chain of stations that also have their own refineries. There is a station 1/4 mile from my marina that also carries E85. My boat is left on my trailer locked up inside a building. My fuel water separators are replaced every year after my initial spring startup. My fuel tanks are left as empty as I dare run the boat and treated with Sea Foam.

I really should stop posting on these Ethanol threads because I am on the other side of the issue than most of you. I raise corn, a lot of corn.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a little on subsidies.

On April 25, 2006, President Bush stated `Record oil prices and large cash flows also mean that Congress has got to understand that these energy companies don't need unnecessary tax breaks like the write-offs of certain geological and geophysical expenditures, or the use of taxpayers' money to subsidize energy companies research into deep water drilling. I'm looking forward to Congress to take about $2 billion of these tax breaks out of the budget over a 10-year period of time. Cash flows are up. Taxpayers don't need to be paying for certain of these expenses on behalf of the energy companies.'

On that timeline, big oil is still getting subsidies AND record profits.

Exxon Mobil Corp. shattered its own record as the world's most profitable publicly traded corporation, as rising oil prices helped the company bring in better-than-ever income and revenue for the fourth quarter and 2007.

I support the american farmer. After all, corn isn't just for taco shells.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Guys, perhaps there is a little light at the end of the tunnel,after all.

Payton,you have never even been considered a nin-compoop,to the contrary. Your posts have brought meaningful contribution to this group,with a little commercial thrown in from time to time.... And thats OK.

I'm well aware of the hardships farmers have endured,over years and generations. Such as,no control over prices,drought,to much rain,blight,insects,disease,machinery costs and ETC. (For those that don't know,the farmer has recently,been said to work for $0.50 an hour. And,during the 30's depression, $0.50/DAY,if one could even get a job.)

Therefore,the farmer is not to be held accountable for any world problems. However,it is discerning that commodity pricing may be a house of cards.

The most pro-active influence the farmer may make is to recognize SAFE applications for their products.In so doing,the farmer can argue for time and support.

This forum is focused, comparatively on a very small number of boats and gallons used. While there is mumbling and grumbling here,this doesn't hold a candle to the little old lady with the Lawn Mower,Ducks Unlimited Fisherman and the Sierra Club activist.

While one goes through life,three points to consider,Have fun,Make contribution to society and Make a little money. I have enough farmer/rancher blood to NOT comfortably blow the whistle.

Therefore,Payton,you,your influence and associates could be Knights in Shining Armour by participating/leading a Reverse Mandate for Ethanol Blend Marine Fuel. And, perhaps small engine fuel.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CcanDo, thank you.

Do some resarch on Biobutanol. That product is why I believe Ethanol is simply the first and short lived step.
I think I'll buy stock in Dupont and BP now while farming is profitable.
I've always felt it made better bussines sence to produce a product that people want to buy rather than are mandated to buy.

Last edited by Payton; 03-02-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered

I saw where weat prices are going through the roof now because everyone is growing corn for ethanol.

I say we just drill for oil in Alaska & build new refineries to keep up w/ demand
Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Payton, As we are leaning across the fence,chewing on the straw and solving the worlds problems,your comment about Dupont brings to mind a, cute, true story.

My wife had a Great Uncle,Mr.Frank Walton. Mr. Walton was a descendant of Mr. Walton that was included in signing The Declaration Of Independence.

Frank Walton was a $1.00/yr. man during World War Two,in charge of all U.S. Government Textile Purchases. Ms.Eleanor Roosevelt chastised Mr. Walton for shortening the soldiers trousers,above the ankle. Ms.Roosevelt argued it was unbecoming. Mr.Walton explained,it was a mandate,there was a shortage of wool and by shortening the trousers,material was available for more wool trousers.

Mr.Walton also took pride in personally funding Dupont $50,000 for R&D and a government contract for a NEW product,later known as NYLON.

Cash talks and Hash walks....I would donate my $1,000.00 towards a charitable entity formed to Reverse Mandate Marine Ethanol Blend Fuel.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Registered

Are other option is Bio-Diesel. I see on a regular basis that diesel pickups with Cummins, Powerstrokes, and Duramax's can make 700-800 reliable horsepower. 1000-1200 foot pound of torque. Hook that up to your speedmaster. Mr. Bob Teague is experimenting with that. I like the test on the diesel powered Nortech in Power Boat.

Lets hear it gentleman.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 AM

For all them people the keep saying it takes more energy to produce the energy in ethanol. Ya'all need to quit drinking that Koolaid. Face the facts everyone is in this for the money. If it wasn't financially sound no one would do it. Look at how long Brazil has been doing it and it's not only Brazil. There is ethanol usage all over the third world. Poor people can't afford petroleum. Here's a site that will link you to a lot of info on both sides of the argument.

http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_energy.html

Quick Reply: E85 85% Corn Alcohol (ethanol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.