Notices

Coast Guard registration

Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philtj
The lake patrol on Lake Travis would problem stop you 20 times a day with out the hull numbers on the side.
A documented boat is not required to have hull numbers on the side, they are in the bilge. Only thing a non-commercial documented boat has to have is the port it hails from on the rear of the boat. I bought a documented boat from a guy in Texas and am in the process of changing it with USCG now. Different states have different rules, as the boat did have a Texas sticker but no numbers on the hull.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by philtj
Thanks for the info. The lake patrol on Lake Travis would problem stop you 20 times a day with out the hull numbers on the side. They made a friend of mine take his remote controlled boat off the lake because it was not registered. Omerta One the boat look great hopefully soon you will be referring to the Donzi as your old boat.
The WP at LOTO did the same thing to me all of last year while I was waiting for my Doc papers to get processed...I had a current registration sticker and name on the back but they would pull me over at least once a weekend just to check... They would claim they couldn't see the registration sticker but I think it was just a ruse to pull me over... It will probably start all over again once the boats painted and they think it's a different one...LOL....

Never did get the Doc's done by the people who were supposed to do and its a long story...So I decided to try and do it myself, within two days of sending in all of the paperwork it was listed on the PSIX site, now I'm just waiting for the backlog to catch up to it so it can be processed.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Registered

LZH, in California you can document your boat any time you want, but you're still going to pay unscured property tax to the state. You won't have any CF numbers, and you most likely will get stopped once in a while, and checked for your doc papers.
If you finance a boat, and your talking about some big $$$
the finance company will most lilkely require you to document the boat. The reason is, at least this is what I've been told, if the vessel gets taken and ends up in a different county (Mexico), the US goverment can recover the vessel. If its got a registration number on it, you can forget it.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A documented boat is not required to have hull numbers on the side, they are in the bilge. Only thing a non-commercial documented boat has to have is the port it hails from on the rear of the boat. Different states have different rules. You still pay Taxes.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAP071
A documented boat is not required to have hull numbers on the side, they are in the bilge. Only thing a non-commercial documented boat has to have is the port it hails from on the rear of the boat. Different states have different rules. You still pay Taxes.
I called State of SC today and told them I had bought a documented vessel and was transferring documentation. Asked what I needed to do with them and they said nothing as long as it was documented with Coast Guard. I'm sure a tax man will appear from somewhere before it's all said and done.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last boat purchase the lender took care of everything for me from the loan, taxes, to the CG documentation, she was awesome to deal with.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
i still havent registered my boat since i bought it last year. Would there be any savings registering it the USCG over the state?
You are in OK right? As long as the boat is older than a 1999, then you will pay no sales tax by registering it in OK. They made me pay a fine ($5) for not titleing it in 30 days. They also have an "excise tax" which was only $8.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by CAP071
My last boat purchase the lender took care of everything for me from the loan, taxes, to the CG documentation, she was awesome to deal with.
Melanie Jolles at Beacon marine credit...she is absolutely the best in the biz.

1300 SE 17th St suite D
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
866-523-2266 office x202
954-522-7106 fax
954-614-6640 cell
Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by heavyhauler
I called State of SC today and told them I had bought a documented vessel and was transferring documentation. Asked what I needed to do with them and they said nothing as long as it was documented with Coast Guard. I'm sure a tax man will appear from somewhere before it's all said and done.
I am in NC and was told the same exact thing. The worst part is, they will likely find me in 3 yrs and I will get 3 yrs worth of tax bill all at once...will probably need a loan
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out
I am in NC and was told the same exact thing. The worst part is, they will likely find me in 3 yrs and I will get 3 yrs worth of tax bill all at once...will probably need a loan
Thought you lived in Midlothian

CG Documented only in Va, here is the quote off Va Game and Inland Fishery
"Documented Vessels"
"Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard cannot be titled in Virginia. Though there is no requirement that documented vessels be registered, owners may register them if desired. The registration decals may be useful if traveling to another state that requires display of registration decals. Contact the Department for an application or use the application provided at this site and prominently write "Documented Vessel" at the top."

I guess they would let you pay Personal Property taxes if you really wanted to.
Also, hope you know to get back your road tax on gas each year, got a check last year for almost $400, not going to run through that much gas this year.

Quick Reply: Coast Guard registration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.