Notices

Coast Guard registration

Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodTymn
Thought you lived in Midlothian
I do however, I documented the boat with my hailing port in NC as this is where our lake house is and where the boat live (both on the water and on the trailer). Another advantage is if I did need to pay pp tax, it would only be $0.91/$100 in my NC county as opposed to $3.60/$100 in my VA county. Interestingly enough, when I documented the boat, we pulled the laws from both VA and NC and they were both the same. It just seems odd that documenting allows us to avoid pp tax whereas if we registered, the county would send us a bill promptly - seems too good to be true.

Tell me more about the road tax. I have read about it however, overall it isn't clear to me....

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 03-04-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out
Tell me more about the road tax. I have read about it however, overall it isn't clear to me....

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/fuel_tax.asp
I just save all my receipts and keep a running log in excel, then fill out the form and send it in.

btw - that is one sweet lookn boat, looked at them at the Norfolk show last fall, Dean has promised me a ride on his new one.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GoodTymn
btw - that is one sweet lookn boat, looked at them at the Norfolk show last fall, Dean has promised me a ride on his new one.
Thanks...I really appreciate the compliment. In fact, I met Dean last year at SML - I think seeing mine pushed him over the edge and he pulled the trigger . The ride is awesome as well...she really flies!

Doing any Poker Runs this year? I am sure we will see each other. So far, I am doing SML in May and Richmond in July...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Doug E.
LZH, in California you can document your boat any time you want, but you're still going to pay unscured property tax to the state. You won't have any CF numbers, and you most likely will get stopped once in a while, and checked for your doc papers.
From own experience and off memory from last June. I was stopped on Lake Shasta. Reason Washington State registration on boat and he wanted to ensure I was a out of state resident. Being close to Oregon they get a lot of tax avoiders.

looked up CA DMV:
What Vessels Must be Registered?
Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.

Vessels previously registered in other states must be registered in California within 120 days of being brought into the state, if it will be used upon California waterways the majority of the time.

The term vessel applies to every description of water-craft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except the following:

A seaplane on the water.
A watercraft specifically designed to operate on a permanently fixed course and guided by a mechanical device that restricts the watercraft's movement to the fixed course.
A floating structure that is designed and built to be used as a stationary waterborne residential dwelling, which, (a) does not have and is not designed to have a mode of power of its own, (b) is dependent for utilities upon a continuous utility linkage to a source originating on shore, and (c) has a permanent, continuous hookup to a shoreside sewage system.
The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
A ship's lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).
NOTE: Commercial vessels of five net tons or more, or 30 feet or more in length must be registered (documented) by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

In Cali you cannot Coast Gaurd doc and state title, unles it's changed in the last 3 years. I see no advantage to Coast Gaurd doc. I've been through this alot in the last 3 years with 4 new boats. Most all boat loan Cos. espacially 100k and more will ask to Coast Guard doc, but you can get out of it trust me. (New Coast Financial). If you buy a boat and doc it and pay no tax, eventually it will catch up with you or the next owner. I state title simply because that lake you frequent most, one day that boat patrol you see alot will pull you over if you have no reg #s and a sticker on the side of your boat. A beer or 2 and your off to the pokie.

You want to get out of sales tax, research the states that have no sales tax. Buy property @ that state, title there, and boom your done.

Last edited by blingbling; 03-04-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Registered

my boat is cg documented and it is a pain in the a$$ a lot of water patrol officer's have no idea what it is and give me crap all the time. They literally yell "wheres your CF number"! then i have to explain my situation. The ones that dont know anything about it think im BSing them and it doesnt help that im a young dude in my 20's usually with a bunch of other young people. They always keep an eye on us. Its kindve annoying. Anybody know how often we have to renew it? its gonna be a year for me in may that ive owned the boat. I was told I could complain to Bank of America that i always get hassled for not having CF numbers and they will allow me to register with the state, I havent tried it yet.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by blingbling
In Cali you cannot Coast Gaurd doc and state title, unles it's changed in the last 3 years. I see no advantage to Coast Gaurd doc. I've been through this alot in the last 3 years with 4 new boats. Most all boat loan Cos. espacially 100k and more will ask to Coast Guard doc, but you can get out of it trust me. (New Coast Financial). If you buy a boat and doc it and pay no tax, eventually it will catch up with you or the next owner. I state title simply because that lake you frequent most, one day that boat patrol you see alot will pull you over if you have no reg #s and a sticker on the side of your boat. A beer or 2 and your off to the pokie.

You want to get out of sales tax, research the states that have no sales tax. Buy property @ that state, title there, and boom your done.
i understand what you guys are saying, but when the boat is documented, you must carry the documentation papers with it, that serves as your registration. It is a federal document and should not be questioned. every police officer I have met on the water would rather see the documentation because it shows that I have taken the steps to have it done right.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be dealing with uneducated water cops then Fox. But then again I had my run in with a few also.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out
Thanks...I really appreciate the compliment. In fact, I met Dean last year at SML - I think seeing mine pushed him over the edge and he pulled the trigger . The ride is awesome as well...she really flies!

Doing any Poker Runs this year? I am sure we will see each other. So far, I am doing SML in May and Richmond in July...
Got the go ahead, so looks likes I will be there, locking in a 2bed condo at Bernards,
most likely not going to do the Jammin run, we are doing the week of July 4th at Smithfield and RiversRest, fireworks on the water 2 nights.

I too have been pulled twice by CG boats that should know their own laws, heck I even have their sticker on the port side of the boat saying I passed inspection, the second time was weird, they had a guy up on the 50cal when they pulled me, let me tell ya, even if totally innocent, the nerves start jumpn,
Had one CG group at a dock one time ask if they could borrow the boat for an hour, I said sure if its a trade and I could go play on theirs, haha,

Last edited by GoodTymn; 03-05-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spell