Notices

Coast Guard registration

Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
i still havent registered my boat since i bought it last year. Would there be any savings registering it the USCG over the state?
you still have to register it with the state, the CG documntation is just that, they are documneting the boat and stating that it meets the criteria for said records. It has nothing to do with state laws, it is essentially a CG record keeping system for HIN numbers and such, and they will assign it a number, same as we have a SS number.Some states require state reg numbers with it some dont. this number then has to be put in the bilge and made to where it cant be tampered or removed with our showing it.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh.. gotcha.. always wondered why i saw so many boats from florida with the number in the bilge.. thanks for the info
Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how this applies to boats in California and Nevada ? Do they also have to be registered with the state ? If that is the case in CA, then I can use another address in NV if NV does not also require registration. Basically, I'd prefer not to give CA anymore of my hard earned $$$...

Anyone ever use these guys ?

http://www.marinetitle.com/vessel_do..._Ownership_Kit

Last edited by LZH; 03-04-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LZH
Anyone know how this applies to boats in California and Nevada ? Do they also have to be registered with the state ? If that is the case in CA, then I can use another address in NV if NV does not also require registration. Basically, I'd prefer not to give CA anymore of my hard earned $$$...

Anyone ever use these guys ?

http://www.marinetitle.com/vessel_do..._Ownership_Kit
I'm not sure what the CA regulations are, I'm from Nebraska but have a lake house and boat in Missouri. I could document my boat in either location, Missouri requires that you do it in their state if the boat is resident for 60 days or more a year. I'm not sure if it's 60 successive or just a overall total amount.

Each state seem to have a little different requirements on what you have to do with a documented boat but the states website should be able to answer some simple questions.

Right now I'm in the process of documenting my boat myself, it's a pretty easy process if you have all of the forms and bill of sale and title.

I just checked on mine, I started the process back on Jan 8th and they are backed up right now about 3 months so it's not something that gets done overnight.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
LZH
Registered

Just found this:

"Before you can sail the California waterways in your new boat, you'll need to register it through the California Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV law requires that all sailboats more than eight feet long and powerboats of any length be registered, unless they are already documented through the U.S. Coast Guard."

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/boat-registration.php
Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No title needed for a USCG documented boat. FOR SURE!!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LZH
Just found this:

"Before you can sail the California waterways in your new boat, you'll need to register it through the California Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV law requires that all sailboats more than eight feet long and powerboats of any length be registered, unless they are already documented through the U.S. Coast Guard."

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/boat-registration.php
To me that sounds like you should Document it first which would meet the criteria of "already documented" and then register it with the state.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
LZH
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain4play
To me that sounds like you should Document it first which would meet the criteria of "already documented" and then register it with the state.
I dunno....to me that says all boats must be registered with the state UNLESS they are already documented.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by sellsman11
No title needed for a USCG documented boat. FOR SURE!!
I have one here in MD, it varies by state...

also check this site...has good info

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/
go to the search by name and type in names of boats you know, you can get all the info on the boat.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 03-04-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. The lake patrol on Lake Travis would problem stop you 20 times a day with out the hull numbers on the side. They made a friend of mine take his remote controlled boat off the lake because it was not registered. Omerta One the boat look great hopefully soon you will be referring to the Donzi as your old boat.

Quick Reply: Coast Guard registration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.