Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter >

496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter

Notices

496 Mag and HO in line fuel filter

Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK ..... some older built boats......say before 2005 the rigging of fuel lines standard has been changed due to E85.....they used to use cheaper fuel lines from the tank to the sep filt made in China ...... E85 in the gas breaks them down into a sand like substance that clocks the fuel pumps and burns them out.....Last year I posted pics of what this stuff looks like...we get our filter from Jeggs I think....my guys are on the road BUT.......for the last time .... you need to contact MERC with your motor ID number PERIOD......the flow rate and micron level of filtrations varies from year to year and gen of motor......... sorry you need to take the time and do that.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
They initially did not have the automotive style inline filter on them between the tank and booster pump. It is my understanding that booster pumps started failing due to junk from new fuel tanks being sucked up into the pumps so they added the additional filter. I then read were there were problems with the inline filter plugging up and starving the booster pump which caused a whole new set of problems. On my 2004 boat, we eliminated the inline filter for this reason. I'm running solely off the water/fuel separating filter. No problems so far in 170 + hours. Hopefully someone more educated on this topic will chime in as to if it is a good idea to leave the inline filter off or not.
That is what happened to me, the screen in the filter clogged with stuff out of the tank, at 3 hours on the ticker I had to replace the pump.....
Old 03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

I run Racor 025-RAC-09 inline filters for years on my 6.2 L [ 377 cu ] engines no problem . Smartcraft shows 25 Gal/hr at WOT . However the RAC-09 filter is rated to flow 35 Gal/hour that could be a problem for the 496 that may use 40-45 Gal/hour at WOT during poker runs .
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Be careful guys. The system operates around 40lbs. You can also find the inline filters with flare fittings and will be safer and easier to change in the future.
True. The parts I used were for automotive fuel injection. Actually made for when you damage your lines/fittings removing an old rusted out filter. My boat was originally rigged with double clamped barbed NPT fittings, so I felt it was a lateral repair to switch to double clamped barbed flare fittings. I can get filters at any autoparts store for $4-5 for cheap ones, $20 for good ones. $48 for Mercs filters made my as* throb.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Registered

We use these.......the 2.0" diameter x 9.25" long ( MIDDLE SET) with barb ends with fantastic results...not cheap but you get what you pay for.

LINK
Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

They look nice. I like the cleanable element.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reckless32
So what is the micron screening level for the 496 inline filter? I'm sure there's a post in the archives, i just don't have the time to search.
I am quite sure this is the OEM that Merc is buying. The factory replacement even has the Raycor stamp on it.

If you follow the link to the cut sheet in the first post it has all the specs on the filter.

Can anyone confirm this is the same exact filter that Merc is selling?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 496mag
I am quite sure this is the OEM that Merc is buying. The factory replacement even has the Raycor stamp on it.

If you follow the link to the cut sheet in the first post it has all the specs on the filter.

Can anyone confirm this is the same exact filter that Merc is selling?
That filter does not have ability to clean the fuel and keep the flow rates like the ones I posted a link for. We spent a lot of time researching this issue in the past year or so.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Registered

I just got my filter from Racor and when I opened it up i was suprised to find that it had the Mercruiser stamp on it with the Merc part number. it just goes to show what kind of markup these manufacturers have on these parts.