Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is one for sale on OSO...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=181452
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Waterboy I have the exact unit you are considering, it works great I have camped out numerous times and had plenty of juice left in the morning.

I had a Xantrex 1750w inverter and 4 batteries with about 415AH of capacity.

PM me if you want more info.

I recently sold the boat and kept the AC and other items which I was planning on putting up for sale in the spring.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I like to spend the nite on the boat..well, actually, the lake patrol prefers i spend the nite on the boat instead of tryin to get it on the trailer after at nite at edock.. but in any case, ive been tryin to find an a/c unit that will fit in the boat and not have a huge modification or extensive wiring..

i came across this system and it claims:

DIGITAL PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT WITH 20' OF CABLE, REMOTE MOUNT ELECTRIC BOX, 5 YEAR WARRANTY (USA) AND RUBBER MOUNTING PAD INCLUDED.

Designed for boats up to 26 feet, or to cool sleeping compartments on larger boats.
Approximately 450 cubic feet
COOL ONLY UNIT: L-15" W-11.5" H-11.5
REVERSE CYCLE UNIT: L-18" W-12" H-11.5"

Smallest footprint on the market and weighs in at 31.5 lbs. for the unit, and 4.7 lbs for the electrical box! This unit has a rotatable blower and tapers down to a "V" shape for those odd angle discharge installations. We use 4” ducting and recommend a minimum of 2, 4” round supply grills with this installation. This unit will run off the new Honda eu1000i 1,000 watt portable generator, while in cool mode. Another option is to use a Statpower 1,000 Watt Inverter and 400 amp hours of battery power and you can anchor out (one average) for one night. Due to the construction of this unit, electric heat is not an option with this unit. This unit is ideal for the "tight fit" installations and is a welcomed addition to larger vessels for individual climate controlled cabins.

Running amperage: Cool = 4.4amps, R/C = 5.5amps. Add one amp for the standard seawater pump. Start up amperage is calculated by running amperage multiplied by 1.8.

How close do you think they really are on claiming it can run on batteries? I plan on installing the 1000 honda generator connected to my battery charger to keep things hummin when anchored out at the party coves and courtesy slips.

When i got the boat, i took out the vberth toilet because, welll, we all know what because that is.. the measurements show it would fit in that compartment perfectly and only weighing 31# shouldnt affect having the weight that far forward.

Any ideas are appreciated..

Waterboy, you may try getting ahold of PWRBOTR. He has a 353 with that same unit. He might be able to give you some insight.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Mermaid 6500 AC with reverse air in my 32. Love it and it does the job with no issues. The Mermaid manual specifically states mine will run off the 1000W Honda gen. so the 5000 will be no problem.
I'm not following why it says the 1000 will run the ac in cool mode when in heat mode, nothing changes other than the flow of the freon.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-06-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More pressure, makes the compressor run harder. more amps
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

Has anyone tried taking apart a portable airconditioner. The free standing type with an exhaust hose. It seems like this would work without having to use the water. All you would have to do is route the exhaust out side the cabin.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered

The Mermaid M5 is a good unit, but I wouldn't try to run it on batteries alone.

I would recommend that you get a Honda EU 2000i to power the Air Conditioner at night.

I would wire the A/C unit to my 110v shore power system and connect the generator to the shore power outlet. This way you can run the A/C without messing with the batteries.

Good luck!

Last edited by Clay Washington; 03-07-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember: 4.4 amps at 120 vac = 44 amps at 12 vdc. It takes a lot of battery to run any AC unit more than an hour or so. Make sure your house bank is separated from your cranking battery!!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
I would wire the A/C unit to my 110v shore power system and connect the generator to the shore power outlet. This way you can run the A/C without messing with the batteries.

Good luck!
this is pretty much what i was considering doing.. 4 batteries (total of six if you include cranking), and a gen with chargers to keep batteries going. T off the fuel line for the starboard motor and run it to the honda gen. keep the blower runnin so it doesnt choke out the genny...

then ill have a/c and plenty of juice to run the stereo system and my cranking batteries are ready to go..

thanks for everyones help
Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pstorti
Waterboy I have the exact unit you are considering, it works great I have camped out numerous times and had plenty of juice left in the morning.

I had a Xantrex 1750w inverter and 4 batteries with about 415AH of capacity.

PM me if you want more info.

I recently sold the boat and kept the AC and other items which I was planning on putting up for sale in the spring.
PM sent

Quick Reply: advice on installing aftermarket A/C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.