Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Newbie with ???'s (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181513-newbie-s.html)

Samurai87 03-06-2008 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nsreeve (Post 2473883)
checkmate also makes a 24, 26, and 27 which i can vouch for as a good boat, ironically is owned by baja now

I've looked at a couple checkmates. They seem to be slightly more expensive then baja across the board. With Baja as an owner would this be considered an "upscale" brand compared directly with the same type/style boat produced by Baja?

nsreeve 03-06-2008 01:14 PM

They just recently took over checkmate, so that may be what they are doing, but i think maybe if you look at the older 25's they will probably be in about the same price range as the 25 outlaw, there are much fewer checkmates out there in this style than baja's so that could make a difference

Samurai87 03-06-2008 01:16 PM

Good stuff. I'll look into those. I have been looking through some mid 90's 24-26' outlaws right now, just wondering if I can broaden my horizen on that particular budget.

Furthermore, Newguy hopefully you dont mind me tagging some questions in your post. If so I'm sorry for jacking the thread.

Regards,

Seth

NKissau 03-06-2008 01:22 PM

sunsation 288

bootdaddy 03-06-2008 01:51 PM

good first thread. you will learn a great deal from this site.

I think most can agree that a single screw makes more sense out of the gate - maintenance and gas and kids tubing etc.

eventually, it will come down to your personal preference. I have a friend who says bajahahaha everytime he sees one...I have nothing against the boats but his opinion has worn off on my perception of their quality. (my bad)

I think Kimmers Scarab looks very sweet (just based on personal preference) and I would be investigating that boat.

The old adage that goes something like..."every mile an hour over 70 gets expensive" is very true.

In my opinion this feels like a buyers market with a bunch of boats available and more coming to sale and I think you would do well to take your time and enjoy the research...after all, shopping for boats is whole lotta fun!!!

R Addiction 03-06-2008 02:00 PM

Welcome to OSO. A 25 Outlaw is a great boat. Big cabin, decent speed with stock power. Good luck. Now get a membership here so you can get the full effect of OSO:D

bootdaddy 03-06-2008 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by R Addiction (Post 2473973)
Now get a membership here so you can get the full effect of OSO:D

couldn't agree more! I lurked for several months before stepping up and I was like...WTF was I waiting for...now I can see the light!:D

PARADOX 03-06-2008 02:23 PM

Welcome to SOS. Looks like every one wants to sel you guys a boat.. So Do I.

For the first boat, absolutley a single. Like mine. :) 26' Infinity with 454 Merc. Mag. Bravo 1.. 69.3 MPH, Good on fuel and easy to trailer.

Take all the post and learn as much as you can. Like Schweitz58 said, review your personal issues. THere will always be time to move up and go faster.

kennyo 03-06-2008 02:29 PM

Baja's are good boats for the money. I just looked at Kimmers boat and it seems very reasonable. You can do everything you asked in a 25-27 baja. Mine runs solid mid 80's and I pull tubes every year(maybe a little faster than they want to go). The 272 will have a full cabin with a door. The 25 will not. If you need a lot of room an older 260 is huge. Baja's only major draw backs are the crack smokers who pick out some of the color combo's! There are a few blown 272's around $40K. You are NOT going to be running 80's for any less IMO.
Good luck, spend a little more to get what you want because it takes no time to get tired of something you settled for( this includes women too!).

niceguy 03-06-2008 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by rangerrick63 (Post 2473802)
Welcome to the site, you will be amazed with the amount of information & good quality advice that is available here, no matter what brand of boat you decide to go with.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19100-en.html

This was a boat I was considering before I found my Sonic. I spoke with the owner, real nice gentleman, & was very specific as to what he's done to the boat. You mentioned Baja, with a 502 & future Procharger, this has it for ya....I'm not sure how flexible he can be with the asking price, but it may be worth a phone call.
I'm only a couple of hours away from him, if this is something you may be intrested in, I'd be happy to run up & take a peek at if for ya. I'm always into looking at boats.....:D

Good luck with your search.....

Thanks a million guys for the responces.... this is so much fun. I think I have made my decision and gonna stay in the 25-27' range with a single.

Rangerrick.... I actually have this boat saved and was looking at it. My wife loves it too!!! I may take you up on your offer. Still waiting for my cash to get here.... (sold my racecar), so i wont actually be calling anyone till I have cash in hand. LOL

Apppendigree..... I'd love to have a Fountain!!! But I doubt it fits in my budget. I'm trying to stay in the low 40's. I also dont know much about Fountains other than their legacy for extremely well built boats. I associate them with only the best.... but I dont really know that much about them other than their name association.

Oh and I will be getting a membership.... thanks again guys for all your help. You'll be seeing alot more of me throughout the next couple of years.

Niceguy aka Ernie