Notices

Newbie with ???'s

Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything on the Great Lakes in above 4' is going to be rough in the size range you are looking at. I came from them and you will get pounded in no matter what you buy - period.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by five cent worth
Holely smokes - is that the Harbor Inn and Hook Line and Drinkers in your aviator? Loved going to those places when I lived up there!!

Do you take your performance boat to Portage Lakes??? That is one small puddle of water.

Great list!
.05 CENT: Yeah - that's the Harbor. Hook, Line and Drinkers is in the building next door and it is awesome. Guy needs to franchise the concept.

Since the boat is new to me, and the biggest I have had, I am keeping it there for a while, until I get comfortable with it. Yeah...you can only open it up on Turkeyfoot Lake and East Reservoir, but it's so easy to roll over there on a summer evening and cruise the lakes and bars...it beats having it in my driveway on the trailer waiting to go up to Lake Erie. Which I will certainly do a few times. I'd like to take it up to MI (Grand Traverse area) too, if I can. Great vacation spot.

But we digress. Sorry to get off topic...

Last edited by BlackJack58; 03-07-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Schweitz58
.05 CENT: Yeah - that's the Harbor. Hook, Line and Drinkers is in the building next door and it is awesome. Guy needs to franchise the concept.

Since the boat is new to me, and the biggest I have had, I am keeping it there for a while, until I get comfortable with it. Yeah...you can only open it up on Turkeyfoot Lake and East Reservoir, but it's so easy to roll over there on a summer evening and cruise the lakes and bars...it beats having it in my driveway on the trailer waiting to go up to Lake Erie. Which I will certainly do a few times. I'd like to take it up to MI (Grand Traverse area) too, if I can. Great vacation spot.

But we digress. Sorry to get off topic...

Don't appologzie about the tangent.....Rather appologize for evoking jealousy from me hahaha. I have been bitten by the boating bug and I'm having a hard time coping with this new addiction.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

If you're seriouly looking, have your money ready and be patient. Just browsing this site I found more than 10 easily thet were between 20K and 40K. Personally, I would take a Scarab, Formula or Fountain over a Baja of Checkmate. Newer Baja's are fairly well built, but in your price range, you're probably looking for one older than 10 years and I'm not that confident of build quality back then. Also remember this is a buyer's market, and most ad prices can probably be cut between 5 and 20%.

For an example, check this one out:
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...b166_0-en.html

Of course, this Apache has twins, but there are few boats out there that are built better than an Apache, period.

I would also not buy a boat without a survey, so plan on a few hundred for that. If you find a boat you plan to buy that's not in your area, post it here and ask if someone can take a look for you and maybe suggest a surveyor before you personally go to look at it. You'll find sincere people here for the most part that would be willing to take a few hours to help a fellow boater.

It goes against most advice you've got (including mine normally) but I REALLY like the looks of that Apache and it's certainly a wave crusher! It probably has something to do with that bigger, better, faster syndrome that seems to affect alot of boaters
Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Registered

I have had my 25 Baja Outlaw going on 5 years now. If you need any info or have any questions you can ask away. That way you have the facts and not what everyone has heard. I was looking at going bigger but just bought a new house so I will be keeping my boat (of course if the right offer came along it would be gone). Anyway let me know if you hvae any questions
Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well, I've owned 2 Bajas and currently have a Baja ski boat (older model) with a 115 OB that's for boarding and tubing. I enjoy it and have had that boat for about 5 years. I have friends with newer Bajas including one outlaw that I know very well. Again, I'll say a 10-20 year old Baja is not built as well as the boats I mentioned above.

BTW, I've personally ridden in or driven ALL of the boats I mentioned above except an Apache. I wasn't trying to start a ruckus, but I've had owned a boat of some sort since I was 16 and thats over 25 years ago.

I'm just trying to help a guy and add my 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

BTW, I've got a question for Niceguy (and Samurai).

What kind of water do you plan to boat in (don't know where League City TX is)? If it's smaller lakes and rivers, then pretty much any boat that's been listed here will do as long as it can handle the HP. If you plan to go into larger bodies of water or the ocean, then you'll need to look harder at the construction of the boat and how well it will hold up.

Also, do you plan to overnight on it? Is a head an important feature for the wife and kids? How important is cabin comfort? For the most part, cockpits will have similar space and layouts.

Also, if you look at Fountains, some of them may not be as good for pulling people because of the time it takes to plane. This is mostly true only on newer ones that are rigged for the highest speed possible and will probably be out of your price range anyway.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hollowpoint
BTW, I've got a question for Niceguy (and Samurai).

What kind of water do you plan to boat in (don't know where League City TX is)? If it's smaller lakes and rivers, then pretty much any boat that's been listed here will do as long as it can handle the HP. If you plan to go into larger bodies of water or the ocean, then you'll need to look harder at the construction of the boat and how well it will hold up.

Also, do you plan to overnight on it? Is a head an important feature for the wife and kids? How important is cabin comfort? For the most part, cockpits will have similar space and layouts.

Also, if you look at Fountains, some of them may not be as good for pulling people because of the time it takes to plane. This is mostly true only on newer ones that are rigged for the highest speed possible and will probably be out of your price range anyway.
Thanks for your input. To answer your questions:

1. Mostly lakes and rivers, but would like to be able to maybe go into the bay or ride to Galveston.
2. Hadnt really thought about any overnights? Maybe if me and the wife can get a babysitter.... LOL.
3. The cabin space underneath is not too terrible important, as I really just wanted something for the kids to be able to get out fo the sun if they need to. Other than that, it could just be for more private issues
4. I am looking at all brands of boats... Baja, Sonic, etc. trying to stay in the 25-27' range and mid30's to mid 40's on price. For this price range, I cannot find boats newer than say 2000 models. Although I did find a 2002 Velocity that looks REALLY nice.

I would definitely have someone look a boat over, because I have no idea what I am looking for when doing this type thing. I could do the motor stuff and obvious interior stuff, but other than that.... I have no clue what to look for or at. So a surveyor is definitely a good idea? You said a couple hundred to have that done? Are these type people available all over the country?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hollowpoint
Well, I've owned 2 Bajas and currently have a Baja ski boat (older model) with a 115 OB that's for boarding and tubing. I enjoy it and have had that boat for about 5 years. I have friends with newer Bajas including one outlaw that I know very well. Again, I'll say a 10-20 year old Baja is not built as well as the boats I mentioned above.

BTW, I've personally ridden in or driven ALL of the boats I mentioned above except an Apache. I wasn't trying to start a ruckus, but I've had owned a boat of some sort since I was 16 and thats over 25 years ago.

I'm just trying to help a guy and add my 2 cents.
I re read my post and I guess it could have been taken wrong. I wasn't slamming anyone or anything. Usually when the word Baja comes up all you hear is what junk they are. I was just trying to let him know that I had one and I would tell him the real deal with mine.
Did not mean to offend anyone.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I think a surveyor may be more like $300-400, but it can save you thousands! There are surveyors pretty much anywhere. When you find a boat, post for some help and you'll get some surveyor's names. I know a guy with a 35' Cigarette that spent like $5000 to redo the entire transom. IMHO, engines are number two on worries about buying a boat. The hull condition can cost more to fix than engines or drives (unless they are big dollar motors). Engines problems don't scare me like the unknowns of what's going on under the fiberglass!

Age shouldn't really turn you away on better built boats. Most hold their value well. I have less than $40K in mine with B&M blowers on a Cig and personally, I would have picked it over a 10 year newer boat of a different brand, but that's me. Look for the styles and brands you like

I lived in Houston for a while around 1990 and had a Chris Craft Stinger at the time. Galveston Bay can get a little rough. Just pick your days to run so you don't upset the wife unless you pick a heavier, larger offshore boat. My wife doesn't really like to run in water like my Avatar, so she stays home for the poker runs

I had plans to run from Houston to Mardi Gras one year, but the plans fell thru. That would have been a fun run, and back then the gas wouldn't have killed me like today.

Quick Reply: Newbie with ???'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.