Notices

Newbie with ???'s

Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niceguy
Thanks a million guys for the responces.... this is so much fun. I think I have made my decision and gonna stay in the 25-27' range with a single.

Rangerrick.... I actually have this boat saved and was looking at it. My wife loves it too!!! I may take you up on your offer. Still waiting for my cash to get here.... (sold my racecar), so i wont actually be calling anyone till I have cash in hand. LOL

Niceguy aka Ernie
Ernie,
Just let me know, my bro-in-law lives up there & I'm always looking for an excuse to drop in on him so he can buy the beer....
It really sounds like a good boat, & if the deal on the Sonic didn't come around, I would've definetly taken a closer look at it.
I too considered something in the 30' range, ie AT, but I was finding it hard to justify the additional cost to own something with twins, not to say I won't make the jump down the road, just right now, it didn't make sense....
I also had a Sunsation 288 on my list, it is down in S. FL, there was just something about the boat that worried me, so I decided to continue my search & I stumbled on the Sonic....I feel it worked out for the best.
Rick
Old 03-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is almost identical to my boat! It looks good for a Baja. The colors are classic and will stay in style for a while. You can't buy a stock one and do all that for that price. Since you are a motorhead you'll love it.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with ???'s-img_0484.jpg   Newbie with ???'s-img_0259.jpg  
Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered
Gold Member

24 Superboat
500hp will get you to 80 great riding boat
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Schweitz58

a) where was I [mostly] going to use the boat?
b) my Durango's towing capacity;
c) my experience level;
d) fuel, maintenance costs & reliability
Holely smokes - is that the Harbor Inn and Hook Line and Drinkers in your aviator? Loved going to those places when I lived up there!!

Do you take your performance boat to Portage Lakes??? That is one small puddle of water.

Great list!

Last edited by five cent worth; 03-06-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a word about Baja in general. Do your research. Nothing against them, they are good boats and pretty fast for the $ and HP. Depands on where you boat and how, Bajas tend to have a "flatter" bottom, (thus the speed) but have some rough water issues. JMO
Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Just a word about Baja in general. Do your research. Nothing against them, they are good boats and pretty fast for the $ and HP. Depands on where you boat and how, Bajas tend to have a "flatter" bottom, (thus the speed) but have some rough water issues. JMO

When you say rough water issues, do you mean no air time? or are you referencing running hard in big water such as the ocean or say lake michigan? Just curious as to the limitations...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered

Great discussion guys.... lets keep this going.

As for usage: Mostly lakes, some river usage, maybe a run to the bay?

towing: F250 Superduty Powerstroke... no problems towing.

Experience: Very skilled mechanic and fab skills. Boating... driven a few 20' ski boats and ridden in a 48' Apache with triple 588's.

Fuel, maintenance, reliability: I have a great set of tools. LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niceguy
ridden in a 48' Apache with triple 588's.

That must have been a 47' Apache they didn't make a 48'. BTW welcome to OSO
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Samurai87
When you say rough water issues, do you mean no air time? or are you referencing running hard in big water such as the ocean or say lake michigan? Just curious as to the limitations...
I would not call them limitatins. Just FYI. I used to run on lake Mich. it could be worse then any Ocean. No rolling waves on the lake, Towering white caps, Washing macine stuff. YOu get stuck in a storm, better have something good under you. Biger is better in rough water. I was on the lake with the 26' Infinity when 45' yachts came back in a Diversy. I miss those days and Navy Pier. LOL best place to see skiiny deeping by the boat babes.
YOu need to decide what's more important for you. speed,?rough water handling?, creature comfort? price? etc.
Example, a 26' baja will outrun a 27' Formula with the same power, in normal waters. Then when you get into 4' chit the Formula can take the pounding faster then the Baja.
Baja, lighter, faster, smaller deadrise, slower in rough water, it will bounce to much,
Formula, heavier 24 deg. (I think) deadrise. slower but will take the beating better.
Any boat buying is a compromise. I compromised about 6-7times so far, but the best boat is your first boat.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered

well I'm not surea bout niceguy but my price range is substantially lower then the average guy in this as is my age!!!! I am trying to keep it under 30k and preferably under 25k.......in between 24-29' prolly single engine....and as far as use, I would like to run fast, but also get some airtime "if" that is possible with the boat in my price range.

Quick Reply: Newbie with ???'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.