Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Docking alone (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181564-docking-alone.html)

Panther 03-07-2008 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2475113)
The other must have for docking alone is a telescoping boat hook. With 3' to 8' reach it can easily save the day.

Can either be used to hold position on a tall dock or place a line on a bollard or cleat.

No offense but when I see a guy pulling in with the boat hook I run for my life!!! :grinser010:

cowisl 03-07-2008 01:28 PM

Best advice i was given - go as fast as you want to hit the dock.

1. use the wind to your advantage
2. Dont be afraid to retry if you get all out of shape in relation to the dock
3. Get all of the lines and bumpers out prior to docking. Its just easier.
4. Practice on a calm day so you can get used to how the boat reacts in reverse etc

jordy 03-07-2008 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 2475384)
Rule #2: Fenders at least 1 inch in diameter for every 4 feet of boat length. (Yes - I have 10" diameter fenders.)

C'mon now, I consider it a warning device when I see a big boat with baby fenders... Stay clear of that boat at all costs. :D :D :D

BZ 03-07-2008 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 2475384)
Rule #1: Never approach a dock faster that you can afford to hit it.

Rule #2: Fenders at least 1 inch in diameter for every 4 feet of boat length. (Yes - I have 10" diameter fenders.)

Rule #3: L-O-N-G docklines; at least 90% of the length of your boat. ...and a good throwing arm.

Rule #4: See Rule #1. Neutral is your best friend.

these are words to live by, even if you have help

Clay Washington 03-07-2008 01:39 PM

HA HA! Even with a boatload of bikini-clad Claymates, I usually dock the Cig by myself. :p

Like everyone said...

1) Go slow! :eek:
2) Keep the steering wheel in the "straight ahead" position and use the gear shifter to guide the boat.
3) BACK INTO THE SLIP! The pros always back in. You will notice that the shore cleats are positioned for backing into the slip. Newby's "drive" in. :rolleyes:
4) Attach your fenders and long docklines BEFORE you enter the slip.
5) Stay at the helm as long as possible! If there is a problem, it is much easier to use the engine and props to get you out of trouble.
6) Make sure the the boat has stopped it's backward motion, and grab both the forward and aft docklines and jump onto the dock.
7) Tie off the rear cleat tight first. Tie off the forward cleat second.
8) Then get back into the boat and shutdown the engines.
9) And finally... use patience and practice, practice, practice.

I love it when I pull into Carlos'n Charlie's to pick up my crew. I back in the Cig like it's nothing. Sometimes the people in the bar cheer and clap! :D

handfulz28 03-07-2008 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2475425)
Sometimes the people in the bar cheer and clap! :D

They're not clapping for your docking skills Clay. :evilb: :D

Clay Washington 03-07-2008 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by handfulz28 (Post 2475440)
They're not clapping for your docking skills Clay. :evilb: :D

DOH! You're right! :p

BZ 03-07-2008 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2475425)
HA HA! Even with a boatload of bikini-clad Claymates, I usually dock the Cig by myself. :p

Like everyone said...

2) Keep the steering wheel in the "straight ahead" position and use the gear shifter to guide the boat.
3) BACK INTO THE SLIP! The pros always back in. You will notice that the shore cleats are positioned for backing into the slip. Newby's "drive" in. :rolleyes:
5) Stay at the helm as long as possible! If there is a problem, it is much easier to use the engine and props to get you out of trouble.
6) Make sure the the boat has stopped it's backward motion, and grab both the forward and aft docklines and jump onto the dock.

I love it when I pull into Carlos'n Charlie's to pick up my crew. I back in the Cig like it's nothing. Sometimes the people in the bar cheer and clap! :D

I want to go to Carlos'n Charile's

PARADOX 03-07-2008 02:23 PM

Like everyone said...

I love it when I pull into Carlos'n Charlie's to pick up my crew. I back in the Cig like it's nothing. Sometimes the people in the bar cheer and clap! :D[/QUOTE]

Damn !! Docks or slips?? I though he wanted to dock to get on his trailer.. Hmm.
I have yet to back up to my trailer at the DOCK.... :cool-smiley-011:
Peace.. Clay :ernaehrung004:

LubeJobs42 03-07-2008 02:30 PM

In the Mercedes boat I have crash boxes. Normally what I do is crash into the dock run to the bow as fast as i can before I bounce off and jump on the dock. Then I tie it up and call my paint guy. If you ever wondered why they call them crash boxes, just watch my docking technique on that boat and you will understand!