Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Docking alone (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181564-docking-alone.html)

40FlatDeck 03-07-2008 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2475487)
In the Mercedes boat I have crash boxes. Normally what I do is crash into the dock run to the bow as fast as i can before I bounce off and jump on the dock. Then I tie it up and call my paint guy. If you ever wondered why they call them crash boxes, just watch my docking technique on that boat and you will understand!

That's the best one yet!!!:D I hate my fricken blower motors when we dock....:angry-smiley-038:

fountain4play 03-07-2008 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2475487)
In the Mercedes boat I have crash boxes. Normally what I do is crash into the dock run to the bow as fast as i can before I bounce off and jump on the dock. Then I tie it up and call my paint guy. If you ever wondered why they call them crash boxes, just watch my docking technique on that boat and you will understand!

LOL....you wonder who named them didn't already have ample experiences in 'Crashing" into things...:evilb:

orthos1 03-07-2008 10:12 PM

Backing into a slip or dock is only the thing to do if the water depth is known.
You can bury some expensive props, impellers, out drives, clog your blocks, fill up the strainer, and run aground in reverse. Backing in is an option, if you can dock bow to and still exit the boat do it, usually the props will be in the deeper water that way.

JMHO

24skaterVA 03-07-2008 10:24 PM

If any part of the motor has "racing" on it just be prepared for the motors to cut off & run like **** any time you get near a dock. They especially like to do this if there is a crowd of people on the dock & they are all watching you.

Fortius 03-08-2008 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by orthos1 (Post 2476175)
Backing into a slip or dock is only the thing to do if the water depth is known.
You can bury some expensive props, impellers, out drives, clog your blocks, fill up the strainer, and run aground in reverse. Backing in is an option, if you can dock bow to and still exit the boat do it, usually the props will be in the deeper water that way.

JMHO

But the frontdeck is quite slippery and often difficult to reach especially for children and wife,and especially if you have connected windshield.

fatdaddy 03-08-2008 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne (Post 2474767)
Even when I have people on board I prefer they just sit there and stay out of my way. I would rather do it all myself then to explain to some how to do it my way.
Same with launching, I won't let anyone help me.
I find that I have to throw less people overboard this way:angry-smiley-038:

Agreed.

GLH 03-09-2008 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Fortius (Post 2474740)
Hi
How do you manage docking when boating alone for example in 35-42" boat?Do you boat alone often?

Approach the dock as fast as you want to hit it.

And like B4M says setup your lines before you get there.

Why go alone??? You don't have to wait or talk to anyone and there's plenty of beer.

satisfactionII 03-09-2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 2475384)
Rule #1: Never approach a dock faster that you can afford to hit it.

Rule #2: Fenders at least 1 inch in diameter for every 4 feet of boat length. (Yes - I have 10" diameter fenders.)

Rule #3: L-O-N-G docklines; at least 90% of the length of your boat. ...and a good throwing arm.

Rule #4: See Rule #1. Neutral is your best friend.

the best advice in this thread, especially "neutral is your freind" and Rule #1. :cool-smiley-011:

Fortius 03-09-2008 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2477366)
Approach the dock as fast as you want to hit it.

And like B4M says setup your lines before you get there.

Why go alone??? You don't have to wait or talk to anyone and there's plenty of beer.

You have very good arguments.That is boating without stress.You can renew your and your neighbours boats as often as you want.And you can be sure,that they talk to you anyway and maybe they want to use your lines too.

LapseofReason 03-09-2008 01:52 PM

I have done it a bunch on my 42 Sonic and my 50 Nortech, during the day at a busy dock can be a a little tricky but most of the time somebody wants to see the boat so they get roped( lined) into helping. Most of the time it's at night when it's calm and nobody is there. I put 3 fenders out put 2 lines on work it in slow till I am about 2 feet away shut down and jump for the dock with both lines in my hand, been doing it for 8 years in a 40 plus foot boat and no problems yet.

Some of the places we have around here are not big boat friendly they were all built for the 22 foot bow rider and I have had to count the dock boards as a way of measure to see if I would fit.