If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    1999 Chris Craft,
    Saint Petersburg Fl

removed carpet from ski locker.....advice on surface finish

I removed the glued in carpet that lined my ski locker. I dunno why they ever put carpet in a boat, especially in a place with poor ventilation. Anyhow, I bought a can of gel coat and was going to gel-coat the area, but to my surprise when i ripped the carpet up it is gel-coated, not a beautiful finish, but gel coat never the less. I have 3M adhesive (yellow snooty stuff) remaining over some of it. I used acetone and scrapper and got some of it but the process is slow and painful. Any ideas types for removing the rest of the adhesive? After a couple hours and lots of acetone fumes I am about ready to say "good enough for a ski locker". At this point I think if I painted over it with new Gel-coat it would magnify the surface imperfections and look worst.

Next question, I also want to add some type of rubber pad/liner to protect things when they bang around in there. I see West Marine sells Dri Dek, but it is ~7/sq ft there and I need quite a bit. I can buy it direct for ~4.50/sq ft. and I might go with that. Before I buy it, does anyone have any other options I should consider.

Thanks in advance.

'05 Concept SF23 VIP Member
    My Boats:
    1997 Blackthunder SC430
    Franklin, Tn.
    I use Drideck under the back seat of my Black Thunder and in the console of my Concept. Works great.

Googone works better than acetone for adhesive remover.