Camcorder for Boat Videos? >

Camcorder for Boat Videos?

Notices

Camcorder for Boat Videos?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stainless
ordered mine this am i'll let you know how it works !
Get it yet ?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

pm tanturm, hes got some good stuff....
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Get it yet ?
I got it and was going to run it in st pete but ran out of time . it looks pretty simple and the test video i ran with it seemed ok not super impressed with the pic quality, but i've still got to play with it . i'll update you as soon as i run it .. maybe try it on the car this weekend
Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Registered

Default Helmet Camera option

I messed around a little last season with a couple of Hoyttech helmet cameras on "Traffic LIght" in the OPA Offshore racing series.

I had bought the cameras for screwing around with on the snowmobiles but figured I would give them a shot on Ed's Green ride.

The basic system was one Helmet cam (with microphones) into a Sony HC96 camcorder using a LANC remote to turn the recorder on and off remotely in the boat.

After the first couple of races we upgraded to a pair of cameras one facing forward and one facing aft. with a Multiview-2 processor to split the images going into the recorder to create a picture in picture affect on the tape. The images could be configured in multiple formats depending on what you are recording. (half screen horizontally forward/ half screen horizontally aft, full screen forward with quarter picture of throttles or speedo or whatever in any corner etc. etc. etc.)

I also picked up what they call a G-Box that superimposes multi axis G-forces, lap times and other data over the image while it is recorded. Haven't had a chance to use this yet.

I was not happy with the helmet cam mounts available so I adapted a rifle scope mount that worked out well.

The system is pretty durable and the image using the Sony recorder was excellent (better than a DVR hard drive/SD card type recorder). The helmet cam itself is 580 line of resolution.

If you are familiar with "Traffic Lights" mishap in Key West during the worlds this year the camera was on-board at the time she flipped in the harbor at 100mph+. The helmet cams and microphones survived the flip and salt water immersion and I used them all winter snowmobiling with a DVR recorder (no where near the picture quality of the HC96 but less bulky to stick in a pocket). The cameras where mounted to the top of the canopy so they took the full brunt of the flip. The Hoytech housings for the Sony "lipstick" cams are very durable. As for the recorder and the multi-view we didn't have them properly secured in a watertight containment so they did not survive the mishap.

Anyway, the system has worked out pretty well and I am looking to replace the damaged pieces and set the "Traffic Light" up again this year.

If any one is interested in seeing what kind of quality the images are I have footage from the "TL" transfered to DVD from the HC96 as well as some snowmobile footage from the DVR on DVD for comparison.

Don't ask, the tape from the flip in KeyWest was destroyed by the saltwater and not recoverable.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

I got it and was going to run it in st pete but ran out of time . it looks pretty simple and the test video i ran with it seemed ok not super impressed with the pic quality, but i've still got to play with it . i'll update you as soon as i run it .. maybe try it on the car this weekend
Thanks let me know.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

We use the ones made by oregon. You can get them at sharper image and a buddy of mine bought a bunch to get a discount if you need a couple... They are so cheap now it's crazy what you can do.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've used this company's helmet cam since 2000 on my street bike, dirt bike, and mountain bike with no problems. My recording unit is a Sony Digital8 Handicam. Not as hi-tech as some of the other products listed here, but figured I'd add the info.

They didn't have waterproof when I bought mine. They've since added it as well as higher resolution. But man, HD would flippin' sweet.

http://www.helmetcamera.com
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just ordered motorsports hero
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Any more test ?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Registered

ran it in my car... not bad ... good bang for the buck !

Quick Reply: Camcorder for Boat Videos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.