Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

Old 03-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin or Sticky this thread!

Without this type of racing and interest in our sport, none of us would have the boats we now own!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Registered

What do you think is reasonable seas to expect in June on a "regular" day, 2-3's?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................
First offshore-race I ever saw. Didn't even own a boat!

But got the bug something terrible.

Now if Nykamp will step-up with Allez Vite . . . assuming it has motors this year . . . he can learn first-hand what it's all about!

Hell, maybe even ol' ApacheCarl can rouse himself for one last chance to come out ahead for the first time ever!

Last edited by ApachePete; 03-21-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rtaylor
What do you think is reasonable seas to expect in June on a "regular" day, 2-3's?
June is a quiet month.....your estimate is pretty good, maybe a little more in the middle of the Stream.

In the "Old Days" if the wind wasn't blowing at least 10 MPH at 7AM on race day, the race was canceled.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Registered

Do we at least get a gold participation ribbon that our moms can pin on us?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

Can I do the wild Bill Cooper length alteration with a bolt on swim platform to my 18.5 foot Baron? I promise I will drive from inside the cockpit and not from the platform.

I just can't put a beak on it because when I win this race I don't want Fountain taking the credit But the platform should be accepted as it is part of the boat overall length,right.

I have a hot little 0 hour Roger Munn small block with some CMI's and a brand new Mercruiser Transom assembly and outdrive.I do not have external steering though.If i get the go ahead I will set it up for some bolsters in where the back seat used to be, been wanting to do this anyways.

I have never officially raced but I used to beat up on some pretty big guys in 2-3s back in the day.

I have been across the Stream and back on the same day numerous times in a 22 foot Sea Cat as we sneak over to Cay Sal Bank to dive a couple times a summer with my girlfriend and another friend - no big deal in the summer.

Also my girlfriend writes for the Naples Daily News and she is also is in charge of a spinoff website geared towards the younger crowd called Coastal Beat , anyways she spoke with her editor and they are all about it.Maybe a lead up story and after race follow up.

Could have pm this to you guys in charge but i thought I might try to drum up some interest and maybe get some people off the fence who were thinking about it.

Think about it and let me know.

Last edited by tommymonza; 03-22-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Planetwarmer
Do we at least get a gold participation ribbon that our moms can pin on us?
yes,yes you do...but call us if your mom needs to be nailed
Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

I think this could be the MOST significant race in the last 20 years...

somebody want to loan me a pair of 500 EFI's for my Cary??
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is going to be good
Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Can I do the wild Bill Cooper length alteration with a bolt on swim platform to my 18.5 foot Baron? I promise I will drive from inside the cockpit and not from the platform.

I just can't put a beak on it because when I win this race I don't want Fountain taking the credit But the platform should be accepted as it is part of the boat overall length,right.

I have a hot little 0 hour Roger Munn small block with some CMI's and a brand new Mercruiser Transom assembly and outdrive.I do not have external steering though.If i get the go ahead I will set it up for some bolsters in where the back seat used to be, been wanting to do this anyways.

I have never officially raced but I used to beat up on some pretty big guys in 2-3s back in the day.

I have been across the Stream and back on the same day numerous times in a 22 foot Sea Cat as we sneak over to Cay Sal Bank to dive a couple times a summer with my girlfriend and another friend - no big deal in the summer.

Also my girlfriend writes for the Naples Daily News and she is also is in charge of a spinoff website geared towards the younger crowd called Coastal Beat , anyways she spoke with her editor and they are all about it.Maybe a lead up story and after race follow up.

Could have pm this to you guys in charge but i thought I might try to drum up some interest and maybe get some people off the fence who were thinking about it.

Think about it and let me know.
Tommy...We are meeting in Miami on Monday and Tuesday to go over the final details and finish the rules packet. I will bring this up...BUT ..we are first and foremost concerned with SAFETY.

We have a lot of interest from poker run guys who have never raced before and we are doing everything we can to make their boats acceptable, while keeping the highest level of SAFETY for everyone.

Any publication we welcome, just have them contact HORBA, www.historicraceboats.com or me and we will provide them with a lot of historical photos and storylines both old and new.

As part of the new racers package we ask them to give us a lot of personal background info. This is a new era for racing and the old names have gone....the stage is set for the next generation of offshore heroes to be introduced to the world....and I mean WORLD, as we have a lot of inquiries from Europe and ...yes, China too.

Somewhere out there is a..... "Former builder from New Jersey, who retired to Florida and heard about an open ocean powerboat race that was to be held, he entered a boat to try it and found out he was very good at this kind of thing."

That byline was used to describe Don Aronow's entry in to the sport back in the 60's. Who is the new Don Aronow of today or tomorrow?

Important point!!!!...This is a CHARITY EVENT. HORBA will be donating to a South Florida Charity in Don's name. So make plans to come and be part of this historic event and have an adventure that you can tell your grandkids about.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race-copy-donald-aronow0006a.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race-aronowfile0021a.jpg   Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race-aronowfile0013a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 03-22-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.