Notices

Fender Racks

Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do u mount under engine hatch? u ant just screw into the side of the boat... do u have to glass in a backing plate for a proffesional "real" install?
In the engine hatch there's two walls in most boats, if you look at the bottom of the engine hatch it comes down at an angle, if you mount on the right or left wall you use short screws and it will only go through your inside wall and not your exterior wall. No glassing is needed..
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

It would definitely be better if you didnt have to SCREW into anything but with the amount of speed we run with our performance boats and bouncing around I dont see any other way of keeping them secure unless you do mount them with screws...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckd1025
Would it be a better design to keep it enclosed? Instead of like this one in the picture have it shaped for a fender and put a drain at the bottom? The one below as you see has a cleat on the outside where you can rope up your rope so it doesnt get close to your belts and drives. I think the design is good, its open to where water can get out, it has a cleat there for the rope to go around..We are just off on price? Others agree? im open for feedback?
This is the Billet Proof Design product.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Would it be a better design to keep it enclosed? Instead of like this one in the picture have it shaped for a fender and put a drain at the bottom? The one below as you see has a cleat on the outside where you can rope up your rope so it doesnt get close to your belts and drives. I think the design is good, its open to where water can get out, it has a cleat there for the rope to go around..We are just off on price? Others agree? im open for feedback?
I like the open design. I think anything enclosed might collect dirt/grime which is a PITA to clean and you don't want that to get on your fender and then possible scratch your boat. I like the open design with the cleat...simple yet effective. I also like the idea of a dual rack for two fenders.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered

It would definitely be better if you didnt have to SCREW into anything but with the amount of speed we run with our performance boats and bouncing around I dont see any other way of keeping them secure unless you do mount them with screws...
Good point. I agree. I am planning to mount (permanent adhesive) a block of wood with "T" nuts mounted on the blind side (1/4-20 thread) so the fender holder rack bracket can be bolted to these designed/fabricated blocks, to the interior hull sides of the engine compartment.

Hey Big Time, I like your avatar pic.

Last edited by ROTAX454; 03-13-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ROTAX454

Hey Big Time, I like your avatar pic.
Thanks, it's the old man's race boat. Hopefully will have a picture of my own boat this summer!!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered

On those mounting plates i dont see why you couldnt just silicone them to the inside, If you got tired of it take a razor blade and cut around the cilicone and then there off. That would definitely secure them onto the boat without having to actually screw into it, or even a clear liquid nail. I think it would hold it. I'm still looking into getting these made with the figures im getting to get material and such it is way off from what i said but ive only checked one supplier. so keep your fingers crossed.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Registered

I have used aluminum tubing (the kind used as dryer vent tube or AC tube) from HD. cut to length and screw to the front bildge wall. Works and looks great and hold the fender tight. Boat is shrinked, but will post pics in a week.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Griswald
I plan on making a set out of 1/4" chrome moly tubing and then powder coating for the finish...
Why not just use stainless steel?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I the only one that uses 10" bumpers?

Quick Reply: Fender Racks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.