Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gas Price At your marina (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181900-gas-price-your-marina.html)

BLee 03-17-2008 11:19 AM

I'd be skeptical buying a boat from someone selling due to not being able to afford the fuel for it. Who know's what else they skimped on maintenance-wise before it got to that point.:eek:

seafordguy 03-17-2008 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by EVILWAYS (Post 2481201)
If you guys have to cry about the price of gas then just sell yours boats and sit on the beach.

Agreed. If fuel goes from $3.00/gal to $4.00/gal, and you burn 1500 gallons this summer that is only a 1500 dollar difference. I only burned about 850 last year but I plan to do much better this year. Yes - that is a lot of money - BUT I don't want to look back at the end of my life and recognize that I didn't enjoy my summers to the fullest because of what is a somewhat nominal cost in the face of boat ownership.

This is our form of recreation, it is why we are all here. The sunk costs are spent; purchasing the boat, purchasing the trailer, maintenance, insurance, buying a damn dually - use the boat as much as you can and worry about how to pay for it later. My ill conceived justification is that you can't put a price on time spent with family and friends so fill her up.

Rippem 03-17-2008 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2487644)
I'd be skeptical buying a boat from someone selling due to not being able to afford the fuel for it. Who know's what else they skimped on maintenance-wise before it got to that point.:eek:

That offends me.

Go to the Formula Forum and research my MO in terms of care with my 353 as well as the 5 prior to it...

For me, I have considered selling simply because everything keeps going up! and there does reach a breaking point!
I am a pauper here obviously based upon your theory. Just a single middle class working stiff with no second income in the house, no tax shelter of consequence, no inheritance or family riches, ect., ect...
I want to buy a house on the water or build. I have everything I need innterms of credit, friendly bankers, good job in the medical sector, but...
Quite frankly to reach my home goal I may have to part with the 353 at some point to free up the monthly $ I need to accomplish my dream ...
a dream which quite frankly is much more responsible to myself and my financial future than owning a big twin engine powerboat!

Not own a boat? Absolutely not...but down-size in $ and re-arrange my priorities?
YES, it's possible...
70K a year only goes so far!

let me guess, you pay your gardener that right? :rolleyes:

I can't be the only one of the "paupers" here considering tough choices for each reasons of thier own...

kids (or more of them)
kids in college
want to build a house
want to get out while the gettin's good in case the oil bubble doesn't burst.
there are those who will get out before you can't get rid of anything that's hard on oil products, or the market of those who can afford it is so small it takes forever, or you take a rediculous beating...

and for the last post about fuel prices...
I don't buy the convenient bury your head in the sand justification.

when I bought this boat fuel was $2 a gallon.
will be $4 soon
the price of fuel has DOUBLED since I bought this one and amazingly enough my wages haven't...
that my friend is called loosing ground fast.

jhiguy377 03-17-2008 05:17 PM

Rippem,
I admire that fact that you are looking at the big picture. I too am looking at fuel prices that are already listed at $4 + on the water and considering all the things you referred to. I plan to put the boat in the water just as often but will likely run slower and anchor more. Best of luck to you and your family. -Jeff

Joe 03-17-2008 05:30 PM

B--------- Well... I knew it had to end at some point ------- So much for the whole, "I'm laying low with my opinions now that I'm an OSO moderator!!!!" LOL...

I guess the new OSO ownership changes everything!!! hehe... See you weekend-after-next, bro!

P.S. For the record, if you get poofed I will NEVER let you live it down!

P.S. #2 Tell Michael, Bubba, Scott and everyone else that they each still owe a round of drinks ON THEM this time! :D

Joe

ninetym 03-17-2008 05:55 PM

trailer, insurance, dockage, routine maintenance, are all factors that relatively stay the same. Double all those costs and see how you feel. Insurance goes up 150.00 and people are looking around for something different. All those other variabls have some other options fuel doesn't. I don't care how much money you have or dont have, nobody I know likes to overspend if they dont have to. Gas prices hurt everyone in some way or the other. Mark

Rippem 03-17-2008 06:29 PM

I didn't mean come off so... well...defensive.

but to lump sum people's reasoning for looking at getting out or downsizing or
to presume that choosing not to pay out the azz for fuel in $500-600 hits speaks of poor boat care and maintenence history...
is just plain wrong.

It's not about not being able to afford the fuel, but choosing not to...
I mean the extra $ has to come out of some other interest...
because as I pointed out my wages haven't doubled!

I have done more drifting, anchoring, moderate running in the interest of compensating for ever rising fuel prices

but when you live somewhere with a 3-4 month season,
and you're a driver and your greatest enjoyment comes from being behind the wheel underway...
at what point are the compromises resulting in not getting what you want out of the experience and the money?

FeverMike 03-17-2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 2487473)
Where did you find the 3.89? It's like 4.49 at my marina.

O'Neills right around the corner from you. I have been getting fuel there for 4 years now, never a problem.

FeverMike 03-17-2008 08:52 PM

Before you make that assumption I have all the service records in line for my boat. I wash it every week even if it does not hit the water and it is polished and waxed every 2 months. Actually I am always down at my down cleaning the thing. Don't assume that if someone chooses not to go boating due to fuel costs that they skimp on maintenance. Especially someone like me.

CigDaze 03-18-2008 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2488496)
O'Neills right around the corner from you. I have been getting fuel there for 4 years now, never a problem.

Should have known...O'Neils is the best. Thanks.