Notices

Outerlimits Powerboats Congratulates Pete Mazzo

Old 03-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outerlimits Powerboats Congratulates Pete Mazzo

PETE MAZZO VOTED TO POKER RUNS AMERICA
POKER RUN HALL OF FAME

Long-time Outerlmits Powerboats customer, Pete Mazzo, and New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club (NJPPC) founder, Dave Patnaude, were recently named to the Poker Runs America Poker Run Hall of Fame at the NJPPC Winter Awards Dinner in Atlantic City. It was the first time that Bill Taylor, president, and his crew from PRA came to the annual NJPPC event, to present the awards that are normally given at the closing Poker Run of the season. “I was honored to come and present these awards to Pete and Dave,” said Taylor, “They and their club have done so much to bring safety to the forefront and they have put so much work into the whole sport!” The award recognizes “dedicated poker runners who promote the ideals of camaraderie and safety in high performance boating.”

A charter member of the club, and resident of Moonachie, New Jersey, Mazzo earned his title with over 20 years in the sport of performance boating and over 10 years on the Club’s Board. He started his boating in home-town waters in a 16’ Crestliner named “For Pete’s Sake,” then graduated to a 18’ Formula, the a 26’ Pantera. A local boater and marine owner, Larry Scibetta, noticed how Mazzo handled his boat and asked him to go racing. “It was a great time and pretty competitive!” Mazzo says of the early “Club Racing” days with Billy Frenz and friends, when 15-18 boats would run for fun. Then Poker Runs started and he just switched gears and never looked back.

With his “go-fast” adrenaline flowing, Mazzo landed a Scarab with 454’s that he thought was it for him, until he saw a powerboat that Paul Fiore built in 1985 named “Johnny’s Dream.” “I would have ripped my right arm off for that boat!” Mazzo exclaims, “It had Arneson drives, a crystal ceiling, fiber optic lights, a teak floor—it was 10 years ahead of what anyone else was doing! I never saw anything like that!” He did buy the boat and he remembers Mike Fiore, then16 years old. “He walked me through the whole deal,” says Mazzo, “We hit it off from day one.”

Mazzo kept that boat for five years and bought another boat from Paul Fiore, naming it “No Discipline.” When Mike started Outerlimits, Mazzo had to take the jump to the next level. “I wasn’t really ready to spend that kind of money on a boat, but Mike again walked me through the deal and saw the value—I was hooked on the brand--and he’s always been a good friend. My Outerlimits have been ‘The Best!’” he adds, speaking of his past four boats—all “No Discipline,” ranging from a 37 to his current 46 Limited.

His history with Outerlimits is a colorful one, starting with Mike Fiore’s first boat, the 37. “Back then, everyone was doing flat decks,” says Mazzo, “Outerlimits had an unusual shape. The Fiore’s really pioneered that taller deck that made powerboats more accommodating for a cabin. Mike also did a lot R&D work on the bottoms, so I wanted to follow him and do something different. The combination of looks and how it ran really made that a spectacular boat!” His 37 Outerlimits was also a first in a new look of paint schemes done by the factory. “I was one of the first to do the checkered, NASCAR look,” Mazza adds, he had that boat for 2 years, then it was on to a “new project,” the 42 Legacy.

“Mike knew I used my boat, so he used to interview me and ask, ‘Look, I know you put 250 hours on your boat--what do you like about it? What would you change?’ He picked my brain and I gave him feedback,” Mazzo laughs, “Then, the vinyl ester resin boats were heavy and needed a lot of power for speed—that also increased the maintenance. That’s when Mike had started a whole new approach—the carbon fiber layup. By making the boats lighter, we could go faster with less power, so I was ready for the change.”

Mazzo was “in” for the new project and purchased the first 39 Quattro for the 2005 season, painting it in silvers and purple with yellow accents. With Mercury Racing 525’s, he was a happy man. “Mike started a whole new trend, lighter, faster boats and power—it was awesome! I never had so much fun in my life—it was like driving a Ferrari. We were doing 100 mph—I would still drive a 39 anytime!” he laughs, “But don’t get me wrong, I love the 46!”

So after 2 years in the 39, it was time for the “next new project.” “When I heard about the 46, I wanted one.” Mazzo enthuses, “Mike was following the same lines as the 39, but the 46 has a new look, a light feel. Business was good, life was good, so I wanted to go for it!” he says. This time, his wife picked the colors, a bright palette of lime greens, yellow and orange. “She said it was her turn!” he laughs, “This was all new technology and when Mercury came out with the new 850’s I got the first ones—they changed the feel of big power. I use my boat all the time,” Mazzo states, “It’s on a lift and we boat all weekend—it’s a big thing with my family and friends. It’s got 140 hours on it now, so this will probably be my last season with it. But the good thing about a limited production boat is that it maintains a high re-sale value.” And what is the “next project” for Mazzo? “We’re just talking!” he laughs.

Mazzo enjoyed the Poker Run circuit since the NJPPC’s first in 1998. The camaraderie, the ability to boat with friends, his wife Debbie and daughter Jillian, and his pure love for the sport all make Mazzo the prototypic poker runner, but his big heart also makes him a Hall of Famer. Mazzo has been a strong supporter of Shore Dreams for Kids, the beneficiary of the NJPPC’s fund and fun-raising efforts.

“We take so much for granted,” Mazzo says, “Seeing the reaction of the disadvantaged kids when they spend a day on the water, is a great way to ‘give back,’” he states. “When the club picked up on this idea about 15 years ago, we had about 200 kids for rides. Now, in the fifth year, we have about 800 kids and you wouldn’t believe the support we have pouring in for food, entertainment and every aspect of the annual event. We’ve really built a rapport with the Special Olympic kids, a great local group.”

Outerlimits is proud of Pete Mazzo and all its customers who not only enjoy their boats, but share the wealth with those less fortunate. “We consider Pete not just a customer, but a friend,” says Mike Fiore.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats Pete!
You deserve it for everything you do for the sport and especially for Shore Dreams for Kids.
It was a great night for you, Dave, and myself.