Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Aluminum Tanks For Methanol (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/182337-aluminum-tanks-methanol.html)

Ichiban 02-10-2011 12:22 PM

definately ground!!

we build fuel tanks. We ALWAYS weld on a ground strap. When we make a tank that will be using methanol, we weld in a "stripper". It's a pick-up to the very bottom, to get the residual water out.

Wally 02-10-2011 12:32 PM

I deal with guys pumping this stuff quite a bit in the bio-diesel arena. The key will be the temps of the fluid. Methenol (Methyl Alcohol) is good with Aluminum up to 140*F
The polyethylene has the same rating. Polypropylene fairs slightly better up to @180*F
If you wanted a plastic tank that can stand up to it best, i would try and find one made from PVDF (Polyvinylidene Fluoride or Kynar) Plastic as it can handle it up to @ 260*F this according to my Corrosion Resistance Table i have here on my desk ;)

SHAWN DAVIS 02-10-2011 01:34 PM

The methanol will corrode bare aluminum. We drain tanks if going to sit more than a couple weeks.
Same goes for anything in the fuel system thats aluminum.
Anodizing helps, but you could get a couple years by draining and cleaning.
the ground straps are on drag cars to keep static sparks out when refilling the tank- required by sanctioning bodies even with plastic tanks.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-10-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS (Post 3320966)
The methanol will corrode bare aluminum. We drain tanks if going to sit more than a couple weeks.
Same goes for anything in the fuel system thats aluminum.
Anodizing helps, but you could get a couple years by draining and cleaning.
the ground straps are on drag cars to keep static sparks out when refilling the tank- required by sanctioning bodies even with plastic tanks.

Shawn as you know the Polyethylene tanks work awesom ad not a stich of problems ,there full with 40 gallons of meth and she's hibernating for the winter mos & and we dont ever drain them ...:drink:

FuelinAround 02-10-2011 08:00 PM

Our racers havent seen a huge issue with switching motors over to meth and not changing tanks on their race cars. There were some that they had to replace some fittings etc that were not right for the application

SHAWN DAVIS 02-10-2011 08:59 PM

I prefer the poly tanks also. Run one in the pro mod,has a aluminum outlet tube thru the bottom that will corrode every so often. Some say fuel additives like top end lube help, but never run them myself

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-10-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS (Post 3321364)
I prefer the poly tanks also. Run one in the pro mod,has a aluminum outlet tube thru the bottom that will corrode every so often. Some say fuel additives like top end lube help, but never run them myself

same
run the Poly in the chevelles,mustang & Skater with great sucess ... when we ran the Alum we drained every Sunday or it gelled no such problem with the Poly:coolcowboy:

FuelinAround 02-10-2011 10:03 PM

The toplube will prevent a lot of the gel unless you have huge temp changes. Cold weather causes a lot of top lubes to gel also.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-10-2011 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by FuelinAround (Post 3321415)
The toplube will prevent a lot of the gel unless you have huge temp changes. Cold weather causes a lot of top lubes to gel also.

dont know many race cars, and or boats spraying meth running in Cold weather :eek::lolhit:

Meth will gel in a Aluminum cell in warm weather ,thats why racers drain them sunday eve .... with the Poly there is no gel and meth can sit for a year with no problems.. have tested on the bench for over a year with different materials and str 8 Meth & 50/50 mixs .

LubeJobs42 02-11-2011 08:18 AM

I was reading through this thread without realizing it was 3 years old. I saw Chris Sunkin made a comment. I thought it was recent, i almost fell over.