Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia boaters LOOK! >

Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia boaters LOOK!

Notices

Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia boaters LOOK!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia boaters LOOK!

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but here it is:

March 19, 2008
Dear BoatUS Member,
We need your help now to pass NEW federal legislation in the Senate that would provide a permanent exemption for recreational boats from the upcoming EPA discharge permit requirement. Remember that if we don't get legislation passed, we all need to get EPA permits to operate our boats effective 9/30/08!

We appreciate the time that many of you have already taken to let your Senators or Representatives know your support of S. 2067 or HR 2550 "The Recreational Boating Act of 2007." Now there is a new Senate Bill #2766 "The Clean Boating Act of 2008", which is more politically viable, and our best chance to eliminate the permit requirement before it comes in effect on September 30, 2008.

Please pick up the phone or email today and ask your Senators to sponsor and vote YES for S 2766. Although Congress is on recess this week and next, we need their staff to hear from us so that this bill can move as soon as the Senators are back in Washington.

Remember to contact both of your Senators:
(Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia)

State Phone Email
Georiga
Senator Saxby Chambliss (R) (202) 224-3521 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Johnny Isakson (R) (202) 224-3643 Visit BoatBlue.org
Maryland
Senator Ben Cardin (D) (202) 224-4524 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Barbara Mikulksi (D) (202) 224-4654 Visit BoatBlue.org
Ohio
Senator George Voinovich (R) (202) 224-3353 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Sherrod Brown (D) (202) 224-2315 Visit BoatBlue.org
Tennessee
Senator Lamar Alexander (R) (202) 224-4944 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Bob Corker (R) (202) 224-3344 Visit BoatBlue.org
Virginia
Senator John Warner (R) (202) 224-2023 Visit BoatBlue.org
Senator Jim Webb (D) (202) 224-4024 Visit BoatBlue.org

Your Senator that is in bold print is especially important to contact because they are a member of the Environment and Public Works Committee.

For more information:

Background
What's the timing?
Why a new bill?
What are the differences in the bills?
What does S 2766 include?
View a copy of the bill
Speaking points
To contact your Senators electronically

Thanks for your ongoing help with this issue.

Margaret Podlich
Vice President, Government Affairs
BoatUS
[email protected]
703-461-2878 x8355
Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Is this for all recreational boats are they going to grandfather older boats???
Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Only the Best Will Do!

I think this is what you're talking about....everyone should send off a note to their representatives about this issue:

US Senators introduce "Clean Boating Act"

Contact your local state senator and email them that you support the "Clean Boating Act." Your local Senators can be found on the following link:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

We Don't Need Another Useless Annual Tax On Recreational Boating!

US Senators Barbara Boxer and Bill Nelson have introduced legislation called the Clean Boating Act of 2008. The legislation, prompted by the National Marine Manufacturers' concerns over an EPA permitting scheme, was applauded by the association. If passed by Congress and signed by President Bush, the Clean Boating Act would permanently restore a longstanding regulation that excludes recreational boaters and anglers from discharge permitting requirements under the Clean Water Act.
"This issue has been a cloud hanging over our industry and, as promised, Senators Boxer and Nelson have worked to address it," said Scott Gudes, vice president of government relations for NMMA, in a statement. "We call on Congress to swiftly adopt this bill well in advance of the September 2008 permitting deadline."

In September 2006, a US District Court in California ordered that the EPA regulate ballast water discharges because of the danger of transporting invasive species. The judge told the EPA to have a permitting system in place within two years. The proposed legislation would restore a 35-year-old EPA exemption for non-polluting incidental discharges like weather deck run-off and engine coolant water.

"Unfortunately, the court's decision to overturn the entire exemption unintentionally tossed recreational boats into the same category as commercial ships," said Thom Dammrich, president of the NMMA, in the statement. "While minimizing the exchange of ballast water from one international port to another is very important in reducing the spread of aquatic invasive species, it is equally important not to sweep small recreational boats into the same regulatory scheme."

The NMMA is worried that millions of boaters may suddenly have to be permitted, and even the EPA has said that they have never instituted a permitting scheme of this magnitude.

Gudes said that recreational boats are already "heavily regulated" under the Clean Water Act, the Clean Vessel Act, the Oil Pollution Act, and other federal and state laws.

"Without legislative relief soon, everyday boaters would be required by federal law to apply for the same expensive permits as ocean-going commercial vessels and land-based industrial facilities," Gudes said.

Gudes said that NMMA has been working with other organizations like BoatU.S. as well as a bipartisan group of Senators and Congressmen to push the legislation through. "Congress must now enact this legislation before the clock runs out on America's recreational boaters," Gudes said in the statement.

Contact your local state senator and email them that you support the "Clean Boating Act." Your local Senators can be found on the following link:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm
Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

I emailed the two VA reps. It only takes a few minutes, and their are form letters you sign your name to, and push send.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I sent mine. This is a very important issue and as Sydwayz said, its easy.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Just sent mine in.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Registered

Sent mine in...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did mine also. Hope they pay more attention to this than the last one I sent!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent one in mine and my wifes name.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
RL
Registered

Found the email and sent mine this morning. Been following this for a while, and it's my understanding it applies to all recreational boats. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Georgia, Maryland, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia boaters LOOK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.