Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sterling Engines.. you get what you pay for! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/182621-sterling-engines-you-get-what-you-pay.html)

RedDog382 03-23-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ratickle (Post 2495860)
I agree, do a search on Gino then post you're mishaps!:evilb:

Won't get into listing multiple personal tragedies. My comment was specifically in regard to the topic of this thread.

Ratickle 03-23-2008 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382 (Post 2496130)
My comment was specifically in regard to the topic of this thread.

You had problems at Sterling? Sure hope not.

LubeJobs42 03-23-2008 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2496114)
They're 1550's, not 454's. They are ran at or near max power on long distance runs, so things wear quicker. It's a good idea to do what Gino did to start the season with piece of mind if you can make it happen.

Some racers rebuild after every race.

Actually, They have very little time over 4000 RPM, The rev limiter is 6800. The lower end iself is like new and built to run 100 hrs without a rebuild. I wanted to have the timing checked, all of the sensors checked, a tune up and just incase, leak down and compression check. Everything came back perfect! A few adjustments and we are ready for the season.

mrhorsepower1 03-23-2008 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by shoregasm (Post 2494046)
My thoughts also....? why should you have to take motors in after only 25hours ?

Just a thought

We do valve lash adjustments every 25 hours on 1250's on up. Oil change every 10 I like. With the new technology in valve train it's easy to get 100 plus hours even on fast ramp camshafts. The biggest improvements aiding this are lifter, valve spring, and push rod design.

mrhorsepower1 03-23-2008 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2496529)
Actually, They have very little time over 4000 RPM, The rev limiter is 6800. The lower end iself is like new and built to run 100 hrs without a rebuild. I wanted to have the timing checked, all of the sensors checked, a tune up and just incase, leak down and compression check. Everything came back perfect! A few adjustments and we are ready for the season.

You know your good to go partner! :cool-smiley-027:

drpete3 03-24-2008 07:01 PM

Can you post a link to get ahold of sterling? Is it In sterling heights MI? Is it sterling performance?

flight club 03-24-2008 07:19 PM

www.sterlingperformance.org MILFORD,MICHIGAN

drpete3 03-25-2008 11:50 AM

Thanks

shoregasm 03-28-2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2496114)
They're 1550's, not 454's. They are ran at or near max power on long distance runs, so things wear quicker. It's a good idea to do what Gino did to start the season with piece of mind if you can make it happen.

Some racers rebuild after every race.

I understand that.....I raced for 5 years, two national champ, and APBA team of the year.....trust me, i do understand.....And P.M. I also understand that, but it is unreal to me that some engine builders have brainwashed the general public to believe that engines SHOULD be rebuilt or gone thru after a few hours....and have convienced us that they are shot after less hours running then we spend at work for two weeks. Think about that...??!! Engines SHOULD instead be built to withstand the hours that are expected in any product that we pay for...my point being, we all agree that performance boating is expensive, yes. And we all agree that we put our equipment thru punishment, but if we are paying $40K each or more for a product, shouldn't that manufacture be held to high standards to produce a product that last more then 50 or 60 hours ? Even at high HP ? I feel they should, and some are starting to develop high HP equipment that can infact do just that. I feel strongly that we will see in the near future the "refresh" mith dissapear as more customers start to be aware of newer tech and demand what we have been in fact paying for all these years...

regards...