Copeland

Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, what a blueprint for living --
Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You Had To Know Him , A Very Giving Person..
Old 03-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Wow.....
Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Al

I met Al on the dock in Key West in 1987. He had just walked off the Cajun Princess. He and his girl at the time (she was HOT) were dressed in those streaky bleached blue jeans with matching jackets that were the style back then, just as the linen jacket and t-shirt he had on the following day. I said hello to Al and he stopped and talked to me. Here I was a kid with no boat, no company, only in Key West because of the kindness of a friend who let me and my girlfriend ride to the KW races on his new Top Gun. Al talked to me like we had known each other for years; no pretense, no stuffiness, just a guy who liked racing and liked people. We talked for a while and I wished him luck in the following days race.

I've always remembered how approachable Al was and how generous he was to take his time to talk to someone he didn't know. Sort of Offshore Racing's version of John Force; a little unconventional, but definetely the guy you'd bet on (or as in T2X's story, bet WITH).

I am truly saddened he left us so early.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delleto
seemed like the only columnist I found to write an article on the MAN himself. I thought it was tastefully done from his perspective and glad you all agree. Personally, although having never had the pleasure to meet Al in person, I vividly recall seeing he and the Popeye's Team when they were here stopping over in Cape Coral. All the teams would tie up at the Yacht Club for the weekend and do the parade here on the Parkway as well. Mr. Copelands yacht seemed massive in comparrison to anything else at the marina. I recal my father pointing it out to me stating, "that thing belongs to the gentleman that owns Popeyes Chicken. He's a hell of a racer, too." Turned out to be one of those moments not forgotten.
I remember back then, too. Everything would come to a standstill on Cape Coral Parkway while they would parade the boats by. Having the offshore races here was the highlight of our spring for us gearheads. Al's boat was so impressive to see on it's trailer, it was HUGE. I loved the SOUND of it, too. Ah, the good old days.......

Last edited by fabricator; 03-28-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Al was our Elvis"

Great line. I think he'd like that one.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I really liked about Al Copeland was no matter what race class you were running he always talked to you as if you were running in the big classes with him. If you were at a race site with your uniform on and it was obvious you were a racer, you were never snubbed because you were running sportsman class. If you were a racer, you were all right with Al Copeland. He was a real gentleman.