Notices

Copeland

Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any of you ever go to a race party at his house? Aretha Franklin, Fats Domino, etc.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Any of you ever go to a race party at his house? Aretha Franklin, Fats Domino, etc.
Checkerboard flooring, Cougar Cub floating in the indoor pool, hundreds of balloons........ and great food and drink.... the hi lite of the annual race in New Orleans.

T2x
Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered

Brownie,

My invitation musta got lost in the mail

Sounds like some great times

That era is responsable for the abuse of my money on offshore boating for so many years
Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Phil M
Peter Hledin narrated for me once - so did George Linder, Bill Click and Kathy Latham - depends on which event - of Course TtrippleX did it as well -

Allan - when filming that event in Sarasota - it was difficult to leave it - think we spent 20 minutes on those two boats - one of the Still shots we took was on Al's Yacht - a 50 footer airborne like a 21 footer ! Great fun - great people -

PHIL
[email protected]
It never mattered to Phil who announced....... He edited with the sound off anyway............(inside joke).

The funniest moments we ever shared usually started when Phil began a conversation with " Richie......at the risk of annoying you...........". In truth we argued at times ( a lot), but it was always about making the product better and we are both passionate people. In the end I hope that passion came across in the tapes. I can assure you that we threw everything we had into them and, in some cases, risked our lives, to raise the bar to a point that had never before....nor since... been reached. Phil and I have tremendous respect for each other because we both went through some amazing adventures and , in truth, neither of us ever really blinked.

That amazing footage in Sarasota was one of those times where we all agreed to stay on those two boats, regardless of how many other boats might not have been covered that day. We were all about the story and that was one for the ages. We didn't compromise to make "numbers". In truth, at most races, you had to earn your way onto NNRT by being competitive and exciting. That's why we caught so much history and why a lot of also rans had limited clips. Something had to give.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 03-26-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered

i have just finished and submitted a nice Al story to HB. They need a pic to go with the story. I don't really have anything worthy. If you have a pic that you think is worthy, scan it and send it to me at: [email protected] . we will credit you for it.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

i have just finished and submitted a nice Al story to HB. They need a pic to go with the story. I don't really have anything worthy. If you have a pic that you think is worthy, scan it and send it to me at: [email protected] . we will credit you for it.
Here's one
Attached Thumbnails Copeland-darren_al.jpg  
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Al Copeland story time...........

Early 90's and the level of excitement at the Key West World's had definitely faded from the "glory days"..... The bars were quiet and the streets half empty. A favorite hangout of the true racers was always the beach bar in the Pier House..... We were sitting there one evening with about a half dozen people lamenting the fact that in past years there was always so many more people at the place, when Copeland and his entourage showed up...... at about Midnight. Al yelled "Where's the PARTY?" and proceeded to settle in and join the B.S. Within maybe 15 minutes the place was crowded almost to the old levels. Al was eyeing a baseball hat with a blond ponytail sticking out the back that I had found in some dive on Duvall Street. He wanted to buy it for $100 and I declined the offer. Later he spotted a young couple who had been sitting off by themselves. After a few questions, he found out that they were newlyweds enjoying their honeymoon. Now let me state that these were a couple of clean cut midwest kids who had nothing to do with Al, the races or anything beyond being in a place they had dreamed of probably for years. After a few more questions it became clear that these were very simple people who were more than a little overwhelmed by Al and his approach. Al turns to the rest of us and says "How much you wanna bet , I can get her ( the young bride) to dance topless on a table within 15 minutes?".........

Within what seemed seconds the betting had swelled to about $15,000.....and my hat. Anyone sitting there could not possibly have pictured this simple homegrown young bride doing anything but slapping him in the face.

After all the bets were in, I can't recall who held the pot
............maybe Dave Gilmore........ Al proceeded to have a quiet conversation with the young couple. As we watched, both the bride and the groom looked at times angry, shocked, confused, upset, desperate.......and then, suddenly, they seemed to change. The husband began to talk in a plaintive way to his wife, she giggled a little, and responded hesitantly but then with some enthusiasm.

Bottom line the next thing we know....she's up on the table......topless and dancing to beat the band....(stereo actually).

After this display Al walks over to them has a quick word and they walk away...."Thanking" us all.....???????

Al came back and took the cash...and my hat..... and explained. .......

He split the pot with them and they wound up with $10,000 for a deposit on a house they were saving for..... The 10 grand put them over the top.

Like Barnum....Copeland had a grasp of the human condition and was the supreme hustler.....

That is one of dozens of Al Copeland adventures that I got to witness and participate in first hand.......and certainly they were only a tiny percentage of the fun Al had during his life.

Someday we can talk about his wife's birthday party cum press conference on another thread.

God Bless you Mr. Copeland.
Not to hyjack but, thats what makes this place so special. Nobody involved in any sport would a) think to do that and b) make it happen. God bless all the maniacs here I call friends Keep on rockin.....
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default They were wonderful times

Originally Posted by boatme
Phil,, Yep it was Peter Hledin

cant miss the voice

once i saw it I had to rib him

those were the days

It wasnt long after that that i got rid of my 21 scarab and I bought my 38 scarab KV

i do miss those days
We never had a Script - they (the narrators) said what they saw - called it live - I miss those days - the people - friends, the fun - am glad we did, what we did - and when we did it - We were at the right place at the right time - and met some really nice people along the way - so many that I wont even start to mention names - but they know who they are !

PHIL -
[email protected]
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Registered

Phil,

Are you near me ??? your screen says SL

do I know you ??
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

who has the pic of the rooster tail showering the bridge ..

Quick Reply: Copeland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.