Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   beware (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183034-beware.html)

tony stamis 03-26-2008 02:58 PM

beware

there is a scam going around with the classifieds a guy emails me about a motor i have listed then ask me all questions in another email says he will take care of the freight his friend owns a company where is the physical location of the motor and who should the cashiers check be written out to. so i give the info he says check will be out soon he lives in AZ a week later check shows up overnight from ups from brooklyn and a business check inside from a company in CALI with overpayment of about $3,000 then he emails me you got the check gives me the tracking # and a set of instructions ,1. take out money for item 2. keep $100 for you trouble and send the rest today to some guy in paterson who is supposed to be a trucking company they give his name no company and has to be sent western union. What a sport he wants you to float him the money to his buddy and your supposed to hope the check clears .

I'll keep you guys posted let you now when the check bounces but i am a little aggravated about the whole waste of my time with the jerk job . so
anyone with stuff in the classifieds beware will post names and email addresses after check bounces.

tony

Sea-Dated 03-26-2008 03:02 PM

DO NOT FORWARD ANY OF YOUR OWN MONEY!!!!!

This is a well known scam and the cashiers check will not clear then you are stuck covering the check you sent to the "Shipper".

Run away and stay clear.

tony stamis 03-26-2008 03:13 PM

i am not sending any money the guy told me it has to be done today so i told him i live 5 min away why don't you give me the address so i can meet the guy i would love to make him swallow all his teeth.

1fastskater 03-27-2008 10:59 PM

Tony,
Having the same problem with this guy. Interested in buying a pair of Bravo Drives and gave me the same story. Overnighted a check with two different amounts on it and said a new check would be sent out. Been waiting two months and then asked me if I was interested in getting involved with a business venture with him. Check also came from some other company and wants the excess money sent to him via Western Union. Very shady character.

SKRAMER 03-28-2008 07:03 AM

Amazing they keep trying this.

tony stamis 03-28-2008 07:13 AM

the checks will clear what is the guys name after they clear 30 days later the bank finds out it was a counter fit check and your stuff is gone and you owe the money its the same guy they must be hitting oso classifieds. the guy gave me the name of mike folia if you go to yahoo the acct. was just opened with no infohey skramer they are from your neck of the woods i forced the guy to call me yesterday and he called from a pay phone area code 234 was told it was ohio funny accent can't make out nationality

niceguy 03-28-2008 07:42 AM

I hope this guy gets what he deserves!! He is a waste of space.... scammers are worse than theives.

SKRAMER 03-28-2008 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by tony stamis (Post 2503060)
the checks will clear what is the guys name after they clear 30 days later the bank finds out it was a counter fit check and your stuff is gone and you owe the money its the same guy they must be hitting oso classifieds. the guy gave me the name of mike folia if you go to yahoo the acct. was just opened with no infohey skramer they are from your neck of the woods i forced the guy to call me yesterday and he called from a pay phone area code 234 was told it was ohio funny accent can't make out nationality

234 is about 50min south of me, funny he called from a payphone. won't the banks try to catch this guy if you give them all the info????

Panther 03-28-2008 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by SKRAMER (Post 2503119)
234 is about 50min south of me, funny he called from a payphone. won't the banks try to catch this guy if you give them all the info????

FYI, it could be an IP phone and the person is located overseas...

tony stamis 03-28-2008 11:22 AM

nobody wants to do anything about it i called yesterday the guy still swares he is legit but why did he call from a payphone he can buy a motor but can not afford a phone