Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Cobalt 302 w/496HO's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183072-new-cobalt-302-w-496hos.html)

CPIGUY 03-26-2008 11:23 PM

New Cobalt 302 w/496HO's

I'm brand new to this board and was excited to see the fantastic content. I've been looking for a boating board for quite some time. I just ordered a Cobalt 302 loaded with 496 HO's with Captain Call exhaust. I couldn't be more excited to get her. It looks like a May delivery.

Does anybody have any idea of what she'll run at WOT. Cobalt's cliaming around 65mph. What do you guys think?

pasquesi 03-27-2008 12:08 AM

Welcome to the board, and if this is your first Cobalt, welcome to the club. You will not be disappointed in the amazing quality your new Cobalt offers. 65 MPH is going to be a bit of a stretch though. Did you order Bravo drives, or B3 drives? Big difference in top end. Either way, you'll see 60 on any given day. Keep in mind, that is a heavy boat. Good luck and post pictures when you take delivery!

tony stamis 03-27-2008 07:06 AM

there was a cobalt at the nyc brunch run last year and it moved out real good i was very impressed with how fast the boat was , good luck enjoy

CPIGUY 03-27-2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by pasquesi (Post 2501602)
Welcome to the board, and if this is your first Cobalt, welcome to the club. You will not be disappointed in the amazing quality your new Cobalt offers. 65 MPH is going to be a bit of a stretch though. Did you order Bravo drives, or B3 drives? Big difference in top end. Either way, you'll see 60 on any given day. Keep in mind, that is a heavy boat. Good luck and post pictures when you take delivery!

Thanks Man. I havn't stern drives for over 10 years. What's the difference between Bravo and B3 drives?

Skullkrusher 03-27-2008 05:22 PM

Bravo 3's are heavier & have dual props for faster planing but less top end

CPIGUY 03-27-2008 05:41 PM

Yeah, I did a little research and spoke to the Merc engine guys. They recommend the B3 for my boat due to it's weight and size, but support both the 1's and the 3's. I've asked Colbalt for test numbers with both drives. We'll see what they come up with. I hate these kinds of decisions.

pasquesi 03-27-2008 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by CPIGUY (Post 2502566)
Yeah, I did a little research and spoke to the Merc engine guys. They recommend the B3 for my boat due to it's weight and size, but support both the 1's and the 3's. I've asked Colbalt for test numbers with both drives. We'll see what they come up with. I hate these kinds of decisions.

If it was me, I would order the boat with B1's. If it was a single engine, then I would go with the B3, to help eliminate torque steer. But since you will have counter rotating drives if your order B1's, problem solved. B3's are heavy monsters, and you're going to give up some serious top end with them. And if you every add some performance mods later to the engines, prop sets for B3's get a little pricey.

BUIZILLA 03-27-2008 06:31 PM

depending on what kind of boating you do, you will probably like the B3's better, the weight difference is mere pounds, about the same as a case of beer... but for midrange cruise, handling, and overall operation you'll be happier with B3's, you wouldn't have bought that boat if you were only concerned with top speed.... they do make an XR B3 now...