NPBA HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES:
The following have achieved the required votes to be inducted on June 13th, 2008 at the NEW YORK CITY POWERBOAT POKER RUN. More Candidates may follow. Dated: March 26, 2008
1. Pete Aitkin: BLACK DUCK RACING; 30 Shadow Cat w/twin Merc O/B’s then triples…became a legend!
2. Jim McIntyre: MAD MAC RACING, 32 Scorpion, triple Merc O/B’s…this was just the beginning, he is still in the “game” today in a big way.
3. Ron Barrette: OVERDOSE, SUPERDOSE, MAXED OUT RACING,
30 Superboat w/O/B’s, 40 Skater Cat. …names say it all!!!
4. Rich Luhrs: SHADOW RACING, Image 21 O/B and the 1st 30 Shadow
Cat…Designer, Builder, Commentator Extraordinaire…he knows everything
about the “game”.
5. Joe Sgro: FEVER RACING, 28 Manta w/Small Blocks …ran over 80 mph back in the 80’s, realized you go faster by chine-walking since you only use half the “coefficient of drag”…currently a star on the OUTERLIMITS/LUCAS Race Team… Tester of the new Racing neck/helmet support brace.
6. Guy LaMotta: DRY MARTINI, 27 Magnum w/Holman & Moody’s, 40 Cigarette, 53 Magnum…a great competitor, innovator, and connoisseur to our sport!
7. Sal Sciandra: AWESOME RACING, 32 Scorpion, 36 Eliminator Cat, 40 Skater Cat…1986 NPBA CHAMPION and still one of the fastest guys on the water!
8. Chris Lavin and Mark Lavin (Deceased): JESSE JAMES RACING, 28 Cigarette in 1984, 30 Chris Cat, 35 Conquest Cat…Courageous is a term that fits the Lavin Bros and their memorable style!!! “Hats-off” to their dedication & contributions to the sport…forever!
9. Larry Smith: OUTRAGEOUS RACING, 30 Sutphen in 1979, 33 Sutphen, initially powered by Jim Ross Engines in the 30 and later powered by Bill Flynn’s small-blocks in the 33, throttleman Billy “HOT SHOT” Frenz would bend the tachometer’s needles past 9,000 rpms(no rev-limiters) to make 92+ mph…!
10. Steve Berk: GREAT ADVENTURE, WINGS RACING, 30 Sutphen, 28 Cigarette,…numerous fast boats since then…he loves the rough water where real
11. Pete Mazzo: DYNAMITE RACING, NO DISCIPLINE; presently runs a
46 Outerlimits and is a “legend” on the Poker Run circuit.
12. John Bochis: CRAZY GREEK; the name says it all, racing on Barnegat Bay
since 1974, rose to “fame” on the NPBA Circuit and still goes faaaast!
13. Michael Georgio (Deceased): S and S Propellers’ Patriarch and an asset to all
teams that wanted to go faster. Michael ran with the EXTRACTOR RACE
TEAM on the NPBA Circuit.
14, Tom Akouri, HIGH ROLLER, BLACK DUCK RACING; Throttleman
extrordinaire, started on the NPBA Circuit and conquered APBA also.
15. Joey Detore, (Deceased), M-77 SUPERBOAT, started in 1976 at Billy’s
Gateway Powerboat Regatta and achieved “fame” while racing with Reggie and
beating those “Movie Stars” on Lake Ponchetrain.
16. Joey Impresscia, EAST COAST MARINE PERFORMANCE; started racing
with Joey Detore in 1976 at the Gateway Powerboat Regatta and has made a
“World Class” profession of it.
17. Charlie McCarthy, BANANA BOAT; Showed up in Greenwich to race with his
24 Banana Boat, “Fast Lady” (Cigarette)and never looked back
18. Peter Myer, LADY L, INSTIGATOR; From a 28 Signature to his 38 Fountain,
Peter has become a World Champion
19. Rolf Papke, STILETTO, PROROC RACING; Another success story in the
industry of Hi-Performance Boating headquartered in Brick, NJ.
20. John Coen, SUPERBOAT , Builder of the Superboats of Long Island and my
first nemesis in Class “A” Club Racing. He has sustained the test of time and
become a legend in the industry.
21. Tony Caligure, OCEAN OUTBOARD; Tony’s 24 Checkmate made his mark
on the NPBA Circuit and founded Ocean Outboard, Inc of Freeport, NY.
22. Roger Munn, JOLLY ROGER; Famous for winnimg races in his 27 Magnum
where ever he entered. He dominated the fleet!
23. George Linder, designed our Shadows, Conquests, plus the Chris Cats including
all of the Jesse James Cats.
Racers still in contention:
Stu Hayim(Recovery), John D’Elia(Special Edition), Reggie Fountain & Sky Gillespie(Executioner Tunnel), Rick Felson(Hawk Racing Team), Billy Martin(Bounty Hunter), Tom Caruso, Kurt Burger(Smokey and the Bandit), Fred Talarico(Big Shot), Jim Laznovsky(Extractor), Mark Tangas(Profit Taker), John Demeno(Armed and Dangerous; B-52 Bomber(not the red boat), Tim Sharkey(Apollo), Fillipone Bros(Double Vision)., Werner Kuenzle(Borderline), J.D. D’Elia(Breadaway), Matt Leuci, Aldo Aleszczuck, Gino Montrone(Instant Air), Joe Calabro, Bob Idoni, Steve Schoderer and Lindsy Pirie( Indigo Racing), Mike Alesse(Phantom), Jeff Gerardi(Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Freeze Frame), Rudy DiPietro(Scarab), Frank Buckley(HMS Dea Won), Richie Zul(Zul Racing), Rich Danscicin (Town and Country) are all still in the running.
Cast your vote for any of the above or “write-in” your favorite racer to [email protected].
Go to www.nationalpowerboat.com for further info.
Alum Metal Fab
Custom Marine Sales
Dave's Custom Boats
Diamond Performance Parts
Double R Performance
Elton Porter Insurance
Fastboats Marine Group
GGB Exhaust Technologies
Grand Sports Center
Ilmor High Performance Marine
Lake Cumberland Marine
Lake Havasu Boat Show
Marine Technology Inc
McLeod Design Group
Performance Boat Center
Performance Marine Trading
Potter Performance Engines
Ron Sporl Performance
Speed and Custom Marine
Total Dollar Insurance
Teague Custom Marine
Wake Zone Marine Insurance
Young Performance Marine