HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race >

HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race

Notices

HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race

Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie writes for Extreme Boats Magazine from time to time and here's a story that was published a few months ago. It should give you some pointers on how to do the crossing.

Hope I didn't give away your secrets Charlie...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
historic2.pdf (653.7 KB, 148 views)
Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The Sapona...................... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapona
That is some good work, and neat info. about the old cement ship. I have seen it many times in many of the races I have been a part of, it`s historic.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remembering Don Aronow in Sunny Isles Beach

The next stop on the OSS tour is in South Florida where Sunny Isles Beach will present the Offshore Powerboat Challenge Weekend. This event promises to be a mega event where performance boating groups come together in order to turn Haulover Park and Sunny Isles Beach into a High Performance Boating Paradise.

On June 19 - 22, the Offshore Super Series will welcome the Historic Offshore Boat Racing Association (HORBA) and the Florida Powerboat Club to share the facilities at Haulover Park, and coordinate the weekend's events. OSS is also welcoming the APBA Class Super Light Tunnel class boats that will run several demonstration races throughout the weekend.

What started as a simple boat race has turned into a "cause" that's attracted performance boaters from all segments of the sport. At this race performance boaters will pay tribute to Don Aronow, his memory, his boats and the legacy that he left behind.

In Don's honor, HORBA will be staging a race to Bimini and back, the way Don and his competitors of the time did it out of the same Haulover Inlet. Open ocean all the way out of the sight of land, just man, machine and the ocean.

This race site has also turned into a good excuse for racers from the 60s and 70s to converge on Sunny Isles Beach and hold a reunion party. The whole HORBA club will be in attendance and welcome race fans and swap a few stories and a few beers. Expect to see some of your old heroes in the Race Village at Haulover Park throughout the weekend.

The Florida Powerboat Club is the driving force of performance boating in Florida and has built a reputation of providing first class poker run fun. The very first Poker Run that Stu Jones produced was out of Sunny Isles Marina near Haulover Inlet and Stu feels a personal attraction to this sight and has decided to join the fun and hold a Poker Run on Saturday and then enjoy the OSS racing action on Sunday.

Our race producers, Susan Simpson, Larry Goldman and Brad Schoenwald have spent many months working out all the details and continue to find ways to make this weekend adventure even more exciting and entertaining for all involved.

If you've never attended a boat race before, this will be the one you'll want to experience. If you've been to many boat races, you won't want to miss this mega event.

Offshore Powerboat Challenge Weekend
Thurs - Race Village Opens - Bimini Race Registration
Friday - HORBA -Don Aronow Memorial Offshore Ocean Race
Friday Night - Get together with veteran racers - Race Village Party with Band
Saturday – Thunderboat Rally Poker Run - OSS Testing - SLT Races
Sunday - OSS Racing - SLT Races
Sunday Night - Awards

For more information about these events visit www.offshoresuperseries.com, www.historicraceboats.com and www.flpowerboat.com or call 732-552-0669.
Attached Thumbnails HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race-ossbluelogo1500.jpg   HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race-fpc_logo_cards_pinup.jpg   HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race-horba.jpg  

Last edited by Ron P; 05-09-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Old school boats available for Don Aronow race

Brief news bulletin: I have joined my good friend Randy Sweers @ Fastboats.com and I am available to all OSO friends and family to assist in any way possible for sales of Nortech, Donzi, and Baja, also specialized brokerage. Please come by and say hello. I hope to now be more active in the racing and poker run events, and have some opportunities to meet more people. As far as the Don Aronow race, I have two great old school boats available which would be awsome for the run. The old RDS/Apache kid/Spirit of Houston 1989 45` Apache now twin engine, number six`s etc. all white boat, with trailer $150,000 range, also a 1993 40` Skater, quarter canopies etc, big motors, number six etc. Both boats are ex-race boats, and built for the gulf stream, Skater is under $200,000. Please take a look at our web site Fastboats.com I look forward to seeing you all soon and telling some stories from my 30 years of offshore racing. Thanks Richie Powers AKA 7XCHAMP
Old 05-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Brief news bulletin: I have joined my good friend Randy Sweers @ Fastboats.com and I am available to all OSO friends and family to assist in any way possible for sales of Nortech, Donzi, and Baja, also specialized brokerage. Please come by and say hello. I hope to now be more active in the racing and poker run events, and have some opportunities to meet more people. As far as the Don Aronow race, I have two great old school boats available which would be awsome for the run. The old RDS/Apache kid/Spirit of Houston 1989 45` Apache now twin engine, number six`s etc. all white boat, with trailer $150,000 range, also a 1993 40` Skater, quarter canopies etc, big motors, number six etc. Both boats are ex-race boats, and built for the gulf stream, Skater is under $200,000. Please take a look at our web site Fastboats.com I look forward to seeing you all soon and telling some stories from my 30 years of offshore racing. Thanks Richie Powers AKA 7XCHAMP

Congrats Richie...and good luck over there. If any potential racers want a little expert advice on crossing the Gulfstream, Richie is your guy, having done it more than a few times.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:57 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Good luck Champ....We'll see you at the race...

T2x
Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Charlie, Larry et al, some of our attendees are arriving in motorhomes. Can they park in the pits?
Brownie,

I just spoke with John from OSS. He came up with a plan to provide 20 X 80 spots for motorhomes. This will have to be Space A/first come first serve. They will ask for a small fee to help offset site costs, i.e. Security, ligth generators, etc.

Please ask those wishing set up a rig in the pits to send me an email [email protected]

Thanks,

Brad
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
NO!.

I do not know where this urban legend started.*

We are not making landfall. If you run out of gas or breakdown near Bimini and get towed in well then yes but you can always claim Force Majuer.

The Coast Guard is issuing the permit for the start finish they know we are running toward Bimini and the turn bouy will be set an appropraite place as to not interfere with regular recreational traffic as much as possible.

Just make sure you have enough fuel to run 102 NM and you will be just fine!
* At the Bob Lewis Fishing tournament that I worked at..

Several of our boats got ticketed for being outside federal waters and coming back in without passports. We had CG permits for the tournament, CG permits to run the cut etc.. One boat came to close to a cruise ship (not an issue @ Haulover) and was handed 25K worth of tickets... I'll see if I can round up the name of the CG officer who has helped us with my tournament last month...
Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
Charlie,
That is a cool video from the 1978 Bushmills race.
I won the Modified class in a 24' Pantera. That was the first race that I went to,
(away from the Miami based OPBRA circuit) I will post a pic of the 30 year old plaque later.
It was a lot of fun to race in Cali, If I remember correctly the race was headquartered @ the Balboa Bay club???
Later,
Pp.

PS, Yes we will be in, I would not miss that Bimini race, Looks like it will be the black 35' Pantera.
thinkin you and Jr may need me as a navigator !!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

whats the boat count at now ?

Quick Reply: HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.