Notices

Poker Run Boat Size

Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker Run Boat Size

How small is to small of a boat to run in a poker run? Also how slow is to slow?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoboardcore
How small is to small of a boat to run in a poker run? Also how slow is to slow?
That's a loaded question!

Where is the Poker Run? River, small lake, big lake, open water?

What organization is putting the PR on? The FPBC runs typically have the boats broken down into speed brackets so that most everyone in that bracket can run together.

Typically, if the body of water and the weather conditions allow, you can "run watcha brung". And, as long as you are back at the dock in time to turn in your cards, it doesn't matter how fast you run.

Remember, a Poker Run is not a race!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Alright, I'll bite even though it is a loaded question.
I have run poker runs now for 8 years. I started in a 22' Donzi Classic and ran that for 3 years and had a blast. There were a few runs where I got beat up and there was no ocean running for me. My next boat was a 29' Kryptonite and that was a great single engine poker run boat and size. I still took a beating once in a while but could hang with the 70-80mph group with no problem. Of course like everyone on here I had dreams of stepping up to a true offshore runner and last year bought a 38' Donzi Comp. It is awesome.
To answer your question though, the beauty of our sport is that you can run watcha brung. If you have a small boat pick and choose your poker runs carefully so you avoid some of the big open water. As far as speed, you will want something that can comfortably cruise over 50mph otherwise you won't have many "friends" to run with. I know they say speed doesn't matter but, we all have speed boats! The best thing to do is hook up with a couple of boats that run similar speeds and plan to run together. That is what I try to do on these runs.
Most of all have fun and don't push the boat past its limits or as importantly, the limits of your crew members.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Alright, I'll bite even though it is a loaded question.
I have run poker runs now for 8 years. I started in a 22' Donzi Classic and ran that for 3 years and had a blast. There were a few runs where I got beat up and there was no ocean running for me. My next boat was a 29' Kryptonite and that was a great single engine poker run boat and size. I still took a beating once in a while but could hang with the 70-80mph group with no problem. Of course like everyone on here I had dreams of stepping up to a true offshore runner and last year bought a 38' Donzi Comp. It is awesome.
To answer your question though, the beauty of our sport is that you can run watcha brung. If you have a small boat pick and choose your poker runs carefully so you avoid some of the big open water. As far as speed, you will want something that can comfortably cruise over 50mph otherwise you won't have many "friends" to run with. I know they say speed doesn't matter but, we all have speed boats! The best thing to do is hook up with a couple of boats that run similar speeds and plan to run together. That is what I try to do on these runs.
Most of all have fun and don't push the boat past its limits or as importantly, the limits of your crew members.
Like Tom I started in a 22ZX, we have had some guys start in as small as a 13ft bullet, like Tom said you pick a group that fits your need and run with them.
Now all Poker Run Clubs are not the same, The NJPPC has a group for almost anyone to run, If I remember Poker Runs America is 27ft up and I don't know what Florida Powerboat is.
Rock the Bay had (2) 24 ft Bajas running.
I ran my 22ZX for 2 years and I was Poker run Hooked.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
The best thing to do is hook up with a couple of boats that run similar speeds and plan to run together. That is what I try to do on these runs.
Best advice right here!!! When you get a group together that you are going to run with, decide on a cruise speed that's comfortable for all and STICK TO IT! Nothing gives me the red ass worse than when people start inching the speeds up and then you wind up running the guts outta your boat all day.

Additionally, things happen fast at speed. As Tom said, don't outrun the capability of your boat or yourself & crew!!! For evidence, see the video of the Sunsation @ the Emerald Coast PR last year.

Be safe and have fun!!!

Tom, the 22 Donzi comment reminded me of running some of our local poker runs years ago in my old Hydrostream and my old STVs. Good old times - a lot cheaper too!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran my 22 Scarab the last 2 years. Stepped up to a 28 Active Thunder for this coming season. I have run with boats as small as 16 Donzi's.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Registered

im looking to do local poker runs around NH and Mass. The boat that i would be using is a completely stock 02 27 fountain fever with 500 efi. Runs about 75-76 max.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Registered

im looking to do local poker runs around NH and Mass. The boat that i would be using is a completely stock 02 27 fountain fever with 500 efi. Runs about 75-76 max.
you should be fine with that boat
Old 03-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues with that boat in those areas. I did the Donzi PR on Lake Winni with Jon (AudioFN on the board here) and the wives a few summers ago and it was a seriously rough day that day!! We were both in 18' Classics and honestly - I have NEVER seen an 18' Classic run like that - all it takes it ballz and skillz and you can run with the big dogs.

(yeah, that was a compliment brotha'!)
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

You will do fine with that boat. Just remember it's not a race. Run with boats that are similar in size and capabilities and let the big guys do their thing. I had a 32' Sunsation, my buddy has a 29' Superboat, and had no problems. Many of the boats that ran with us are that size or smaller. We just moved out of the wake zones of the bigger- faster boats and did our own thing. We always had a great time. I wouldn't run in the ocean or big water without being real careful of the weather and conditions. Learn how to drive the boat to use it as efficiently as possible, learn how to use the tabs, they will be your best friends. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Poker Run Boat Size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.