STM club comes to the Daytona 500! >

STM club comes to the Daytona 500!

Notices

STM club comes to the Daytona 500!

Old 02-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default STM club comes to the Daytona 500!

Shor,
This info. is for you buddy, as to what their LATEST Recommendations are for Volusia Co.

SMC Recommendations for Volusia County

Since record keeping began in 1974, Volusia County has the fifth highest number of watercraft-related manatee mortality (56 total). Forty of those deaths (71 percent) have occurred since 1990, and thirty have occurred since 1996 (53 percent).

There are two primary areas where Save the Manatee Club is recommending that the manatee protection recommendations need to be strengthened.

Hot Spot

1. Halifax River (Ponce Inlet to north of Dunlawton Bridge) – Aerial survey data indicate that manatee use of the Halifax River through out the year (every month except Feb), although heaviest use is documented in warmer months. It is an important travel corridor between central Florida and northern Florida and Georgia. There have been at least 16 dead manatees recovered in this area, including 12 since 1996. This area is high boating traffic area and includes the ICW and Ponce Inlet. Save the Manatee Club recommends the following:

a. Ponce Inlet - 25 MPH (existing 30mph zone), numerous speed zone types exist in the area with speed limits varied between 25 and 30 mph. Consolidating high speed numerical limits to 25 mph will reduce confusion and the complexity of speed zones boaters encounter on the water).

b. Halifax River north of Ponce Inlet to ½ mile north of Dunlawton Bridge- 25 MPH in channel, Slow Speed outside channel (where not more stringently regulated)

Safe Haven

2. DeLeon Springs and Spring Garden Creek – Since Deleon Springs State Park staff first started collecting data in 1992, manatees have been documented in DeLeon Spring and Spring Garden Creek in every month of the year. DeLeon Springs is believed to provide manatees with a secondary warm water refuge. Spring Garden Creek is a manatee travel corridor and feeding area. Both areas are currently unregulated. One watercraft related manatee mortality was recovered in Lake Woodruff at the entrance to Spring Garden Creek. Save the Manatee Club recommends the following:

DeLeon Springs (southern shoreline of lagoon): No Entry Nov 15 – Mar 31, Slow Speed Remainder of year.
Spring Garden Creek – Slow Speed year round.

No mention of Sliver Glen Springs, BUT I think SG Springs is actually located in Marion Co. I think. I'll research it and let you know.
MD
Old 02-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We slay deer up here year-round with cars but no-one is dumb enough to recomend "idle zones" for cars!!!{So Far anyway} The smart ones learn real quick @ the dumb ones die!! sometimes taking people with them,We learn real quick also to look for them or we die to. This is natures way of weeding out the stupid!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and how I wish they had that kinda brain........

Deer are very hard to see at a good speed in the dark....but then again it's not the first one that gets you .......its' not the second one either.........

Twice I have hit the third one while sliding to a stop........Go figure.......

Oh and Ponce Inlet and Dunlawton are the areas where I have seena all the manatee activity........they are all over that place in the summer........I don't mind 25-30MPH....it's the idle zones that kill me..........
Old 02-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Yea,I don't know how you guys can stand it! Seems like it takes hours from some places to get to open water. Idle Plane Idle Plane....
Old 02-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Actually man.....it's not real bad having idle zones......they let you calm down for a second and let others catch up.......think about it.........

Kinda like a smoke break if ya do that.......Plus it's kinda fun rolling up side of a big old scarab in the idle zones and having the pipes in the water.....Nice and quiet.......

Then the zone is over and the bow pops up...and see ya later man....... The look on some of these guys faces is priceless......WTF .....A Bayliner with thru-hulls......

Then just about the time they catchup to pass ya........Oops...idle zone again....... You lose........
Old 02-18-2002, 01:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

9 MILES OF CONTINOUS IDLE SUCKS!!! IT will take me 1.5-2 Hours before I can EVEN TRY TO GET ON PLANE!
Besides Terry, this what they want this year, next yea, STM club will be back for more and the year after and the year after!!! They will NEVER BE SATISFIED until ALL POWER BOATS are off the inland waterways of FL!
MD
The bottom line is Manatee Zones DON'T WORK!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Registered

I guess It depends on where you live down there! Up here the only the only things we hit in the water are catfish{Who Cares} and logs{I CARE!} Good luck with the Manatee Deal!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here's the latest from CFW, the powerboater rights club that I belong to.

The House committee passed bill HB1473
(Info as of February 17, 2002)
The House committee passed bill HB1473 but only by 8 out of 13 votes. The bill is now going before the COUNCIL FOR READY INFRASTRUCTURE committee for a vote. It is imperative that the COUNCIL FOR READY INFRASTRUCTURE hear your support for this bill so that this proposed legislation is approved. This very important bill has only 1 more stop before it goes to the House floor. The time to act is now.

This bill levels the playing field for everyone. All reasonable people should support this bill since it does not remove protection for the manatee but provides a vehicle to make rules based on scientific facts and allows for a definable goal for delisting the manatee.

This should be the goal of SMC and all environmentalists. Unfortunately, $MC and their like continue to browbeat the people that make the rules and the laws of our state with misinformation in order to protect the empire that they have created for themselves.

Please spread the word throughout the state. All citizens that support this legislation need to contact their representative to support this (see names below). Brevard legislators cannot pass this alone. Be sure to include your address on the correspondence. It will make a difference in our being heard. Please stress to your representative that this is not a pro-boating bill. It is well balanced legislation designed to hear all interested parties. Thank you for your help.

Senate Committee on Natural Resources

Senator Ginny Brown-Waite (Chair)
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5040
[email protected]

Senator Alfred "Al" Lawson, Jr.
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5004
[email protected]

Senator M. Mandy Dawson
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5112
District Office: (954) 467-4317
[email protected]

Senator James E. "Jim" King, Jr.
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5030
[email protected]

Senator Jack Latvala
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5062
[email protected]

Senator John F. Laurent
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5044
[email protected]

Senator Richard Mitchell
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5017
[email protected]

Senator Ken Pruitt
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5088
[email protected]

Senator Rod Smith
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5020
[email protected]

Senator Donald C. Sullivan
Capitol Office: (850) 487-5065
[email protected]

House Committee on Natural Resources & Environmental Protection

Representative Lindsay M. Harrington (Chair)
Capitol Office: (850) 488-9175
[email protected]

Representative Richard A. Machek
Capitol Office: (850) 488-5588
[email protected]

Representative Nancy Argenziano
Capitol Office: (850) 488-0805
[email protected]

Representative Rafael "Ralph" Arza
Capitol Office: (850) 488-1683
[email protected]

Representative Dennis K. Baxley
Capitol Office: (850) 488-0335
[email protected]

Representative Dorothy Bendross-Mindingall
Capitol Office: (850) 488-0625
[email protected]

Representative Frederick C. "Fred" Brummer
Capitol Office: (850) 488-2023
[email protected]

Representative Ron L. Greenstein
Capitol Office: (850) 488-3164
[email protected]

Representative Dick Kravitz
Capitol Office: (850) 488-1304
[email protected]

Representative Frank Peterman, Jr.
Capitol Office: (850) 488-0925
[email protected]

Representative John P. "Jack" Seiler
Capitol Office: (850) 488-0880
[email protected]

Representative Ken Sorensen, Ph.D.
Capitol Office: (850) 488-9965
[email protected]

I think this speaks for itself!
MD
Old 02-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Registered

Dean buddy............don't get me wrong........I DO NOT THINK MANATEE ZONES HELP!!!!!

Actually they probably do more to harm them than good.......you run deeper in the water and would probably do more damage that way....

I can see the priorities of the STM for sure........it's seems to be a business with an agenda.....and the manatee's well-being ain't it.........AT ALL!!!!!!

When a court can prove this..........somebodies gonna be in trouble.......bet on it......if they wanted to protect the manatee they would research ways to stop the larger killers........Those power plants make WEAK manatees..not healthy......they are gonna be the next big killers......Not shuttin them down for nothing....

If you wanna help those guys out then send some of your guys on your payroll to watch and care for them.......

That would be a great way to HELP this group.....but they are not interested in helping......just sueing...........Money Money Money....

That's it........Terry
Old 02-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shor,
I know that you are concerned also, about what the STM CLub is really up to. I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that the STM CLUB will never be satisfied until NO MANATEES DIE @ ALL! Which would be great, BUT that's not going to happen until they do something about the Power Plants and the Tugs/Barges!
MD