Notices

Dean Ferry?? Updates

Old 02-18-2002, 12:30 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dean Ferry?? Updates

Dean,

A while back you were talking about a Judge that was making a decision and you have also posted about your local goverment voting on some of the STM issues.
I might have missed it but never saw any of their decisions posted or is it still too early?
Thanks Scott
Old 02-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey Scott,
Thanks for asking,
1. The judge is set to hand down his decision in our lawsuit the end of this month. Sooo, any day we should know!

2. The Fl. state legislature Enviromental Committee PASSED the NEW ANTI-STM Club bill last week, 8 for, 5 against. Now it goes to another Committee, (Infrastructure Committee) this week and the STM Club as a FULL COURT PRESS ON over this committee vote. If it passes this committee, then it will go to the House floor for vote, and that MAKES the STM Club REALLY NERVOUS.
Wish us luck,
MD
Old 02-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the answer
After all the STM crap it's good to see that people might be listening to some logic
Old 02-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoa, whoa...back up there just a darn minute.....

"Anti-STM Club legislation???

Dean, give me the scoop. I haven't heard about this one yet...

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 01:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

BD,
That's what I call it. Here is a copy of Rep. Harrington letter on what this bill does. IMHO, it makes the FFWCC and the DEP TAKE INPUT from local committees on how, where, when, Manatee zones are to go. Instead of a wish list from the STM Club, which is what has been happening all these years!

To: To Whom It May Concern
Date: February 7, 2002
Subject: Response to Email on HB-1473, Local Advisory Committee For
Manatee Protection.

Thank you for your letter regarding manatee protection legislation that I have filed.

Florida has been blessed with a tremendous environment with hundreds of miles of beaches and waterways. Over the years, these have attracted a great many people who take to the water for a variety of reasons. An added blessing in recent years has been the increased herd population, understanding and concern for the unique marine mammals who frequent these same warm waters – the Florida manatee.

With the increasing number of boaters and manatees occupying the same waters, it has become apparent that heightened protection of the manatee has become necessary. This can and should be achieved through a scientifically sound and balanced rule-making process overseen by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWCC).

In short, that is what our bill seeks to provide: reinforced science and consensus-based balance:

1. In each coastal county affected by manatee protection plans, this measure establishes advisory committees of local citizens that represent a balance of local interests such as recreational, boating, commercial, manatee and wildlife clubs/organizations. The committees will review, discuss, and debate any proposed rule or rule modification by the FWCC. The advisory committee will submit non-binding majority and, if necessary, minority reports as advice to the Commission for use in its evaluation of the proposed rule prior to adoption.

2. The bill calls for a scheduled review process of established rules by the FWCC and the advisory committees beginning in early 2004.

3. The bill sets the date of February 15, 2003 by which the FWCC, in cooperation with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, will develop a measurable biological goal to define manatee recovery. This is a very important section of the bill.

House Bill 1473 has had 14 hours of unprecedented workshops. There were four public and one House committee workshops on this bill with participation from all interested parties. Representatives from environmental, boating, commercial, and recreation interests were present including the Save the Manatee Club and the Sierra Club.

I sincerely believe that this formalized conduit for local perspective can only serve to improve the Commission’s effort to implement fair and balanced rules, and lessen the likelihood of protracted challenges from either side in the debate.

Such a profound dialogue is unique in the political process. However, I felt that such an engaging subject required a forum where the details could be discussed, debated, and modified to maximize consensus.

I appreciate the participation of so many groups and citizens. Though some continue to express concerns, I am sure that all will acknowledge that their suggestions and concerns were heard and, in many cases, incoporated in the product before the Legislature today.

There you go bro',
MD
Old 02-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Dean,
Appreciate the info!