Very rare Don Aronow racing video >

Very rare Don Aronow racing video

Notices

Very rare Don Aronow racing video

Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have the words Charlie!!!!
I have been working on my DA "step child" the 28 Arrow tonight until now. I just came home and its close to 02.00 in the morning here in Stockholm now when I saw this thread at OSO! Wow, this short big history offshore vid clip
will make a very good start for this friday. I really gona try to go see the DA Memorial Race in june.
Charlie, BIG THANKS!

Mange

Ps. What drives did they use at the 32 Cary? ds.

Last edited by Mange; 04-03-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

absoulte great you and Mike did a great job, when will i receive my dvd???
Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Charlie,
Few month's back you said you had a special boat you were building for the boat show? Did this get unvailed at Miami?

If so it would be great to see your pictures.

Thanks
Jon
Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Charlie,
Few month's back you said you had a special boat you were building for the boat show? Did this get unvailed at Miami?

If so it would be great to see your pictures.

Thanks
Jon
It will be unveiled at the race in June.....The DON ARONOW MEMORIAL RACE.

Here is a shot of it before we put it in the interior shop. It will carry the same color scheme and livery as the 32 Cary....except it will say ....The BANANA on the side.

This will kick off our line of 24 footers that we will build in both outboard and sterndrive models.
Attached Thumbnails Very rare Don Aronow racing video-tribute-24-feb-08-001-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Very Nice !

So in looking at your website / product's do you also have the mold for the old 41/apache?

Nice website by the way!

Thanks
Jon
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Very Nice !

So in looking at your website / product's do you also have the mold for the old 41/apache?

Nice website by the way!

Thanks
Jon
Thanks Jon.

Actually the molds are not old 41 molds, but a new design with a stepped bottom 42 foot mold, that I will make 41's out of.

My 39 foot mold is an Apache mold, that was blocked and a plug was made from it before I bought it..... and that plug became the 36 Concept center console.

It is like my old 38 foot banana mold became the Coyote and now it is the Sonic 42 with a swim platform added on. These molds just go round and round.

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet. I wonder if thats where Reggie got the idea for left handed throttles?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Top Banana
It is like my old 38 foot banana mold became the Coyote and now it is the Sonic 42 with a swim platform added on. These molds just go round and round.

Funny Story friend of mine has a 36 Sonic, for years it never performed as they thought it should mathmatically. Various engines etc. didn't seem to matter.

One day he put the garage door down between the truck and the nose of the boat and pulled the boat foward until the nose was touching. Measured from the door to the transom and if memory serve's me it measure 39' 9" ????

Called Jay Ross at sonic and he was baffled cause it's titled a 36' and stated if it measured as Richard stated, that it is there 42' with a swim plate form. ?

Also found out this is one of a very few limited Sonic's built with the divinycell core through out the boat.

But it was also funny cause prior to finding all this out there was another gentleman in South Haven with a 42' sonic #6's and over 700 Cubic Inch naturally aspirated engines. Run like 104 mph at the time.

Anyways Richard would Dock next to him or vise versa for the weekend and mentioned How come our boats are the same length??? You could tell it bothered him bad. But Richard had no idea at the time his was longer than 36' either.

Great boats though!!

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Very rare Don Aronow racing video-sonic_1.jpg  
Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

wow, thats some great footage.
Any idea what speed they are running in that water? 35-40mph?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Everyone has seen the famous photo of Don Aronow racing his 32 foot Cary race boat as shown here. Much ado was made about the fact that he took off his helmet and threw it overboard as he found it too uncomfortable to wear after racing so many years without one.

Well, we have the full length film in blazing color, of the actual race. It shows Don starting the race with the helmet on and later you can clearly see he has it off.

Michael Aronow and I have planned a new DVD that will have the film, plus some rare photos that Michael didn't use in his book.."King of Thunderboat Row".

But to help celebrate the revamping of our banana boat company web site, I put a small clip of the movie up.

It can be found on page "Should I buy a banana?"

www.bananaboatco.com
Funny, I watched the clip, it`s a prime example of why the throttleman evolved into the sport of offshore, also good example for the need for trim tabs or the lack of.
Remember the first trim tabs were all hand fabricated, and used outboard trim pumps and cylinders. Knocky and Barry used to tell stories about their rides with Don, and the more they drank the bigger the stories got. Knocky and Barry had balls of steel riding with Don, not many people would have ridden, they had to because they worked for him. While on the subject, Knocky and Barry were another couple of forgotten hero/legends of Offshore, Isn`t it amazing that we only remember the greats when we start threads like these.

Quick Reply: Very rare Don Aronow racing video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.