Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!! >

Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

Notices

Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
They can stop selling to you.
Actually no they can not if you have a contract. There is a audio dealer in our town that sells on the cheap and a company tried to stop selling to them and they went after them and won!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We run at 40-60% profit margines on product. At the end of the year you are still only at about 10-15% once all is said and done.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What gets me are those that own their own business - I buy from them at their listed price - no complaining - then I work 20 hrs on their boat and they expect when I figure the bill to get the parts at MY cost. I don't mind being fair - splitting the difference if my cost and retail is way apart - but just cause I work a full time job and enjoy turning wrenches when I can - doesn't mean I'm in it for just fun. Most of those who beat me up and want me to work the insurance claim in their favor I don't do business with afterwards. And there's not a ton of mark up in Marine parts - hell Mercedes parts aren't marked up any more than a Ford part.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
What gets me are those that own their own business - I buy from them at their listed price - no complaining - then I work 20 hrs on their boat and they expect when I figure the bill to get the parts at MY cost. I don't mind being fair - splitting the difference if my cost and retail is way apart - but just cause I work a full time job and enjoy turning wrenches when I can - doesn't mean I'm in it for just fun. Most of those who beat me up and want me to work the insurance claim in their favor I don't do business with afterwards. And there's not a ton of mark up in Marine parts - hell Mercedes parts aren't marked up any more than a Ford part.
Ross it's common knowledge on the river that you will work long hours for cold beer and pizza, are you saying you want money too?

Last edited by Wobble; 04-04-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered

Another thing that's eating away at the industry and making it next to impossible for the quality shops to compete is the margins given to mega dealers like CP (aka Hardin and KEPP) and Teague.

I know they are advertisers here so this post might go "poof" but so be it.

Example, a friend who has been a CMI dealer for over 8 years is forced to buy 496 headers from Teague as he has the exclusive distribution rights to that product. The dealer price a whopping 5% lower than they will sell them to you over the phone. On the regular products the "dealer" price to my friend 15% HIGHER than what Teague buys for the same part. On a good day he MIGHT make 5% net profit on the parts. Most days it's break even and if he really counts the time he wastes chasing parts and vendor issues he loses money.

The Marine parts business is the last place anyone who has any sense would try to make money these days UNLESS you are the manufacturer.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
That's my point......... A 20 percent margin is a fair price when you can do it. .........the key word is WHEN .
Get off the computer and get my motors done.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Registered

Default map

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Actually no they can not if you have a contract. There is a audio dealer in our town that sells on the cheap and a company tried to stop selling to them and they went after them and won!
I do not know about all dealers and manufactures contracts but some will put if in the contracts ask a rolex dealer to give you one at just above cost and see what happen when rolex finds out poof he is not a rolex dealer anymore, all company's are different some give you guidelines on discounts certain % for certain products.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tony stamis
I do not know about all dealers and manufactures contracts but some will put if in the contracts ask a rolex dealer to give you one at just above cost and see what happen when rolex finds out poof he is not a rolex dealer anymore, all company's are different some give you guidelines on discounts certain % for certain products.
They do that in the appliance industry also. Most of what we sell is a manufacture set price. We call it UMRP,If you get caught selling below that price some, not all will pull the product from you.

I recall a few years back when the Maytag Neptune was the big thing out. Home depot was selling them below UMRP and several dealers complained and poof,Home depot lost that product for 1 year. If they were willing to pull it from a national chain we knew they would pull it from us.

Luckily for me most of the products i sell you don't see in box stores, and all the dealers around here follow the umrp pretty closely.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tony stamis
Tony, you get that 509 sold yet?

I scraped the big engine for the time being and am building a nasty little 468 with 8lbs of boost and a really BIG cam.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Get off the computer and get my motors done.
I am working on it!!

Quick Reply: Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.