Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183692-eddie-marine-forcing-dealers-raise-prices.html)

scarabmk5 04-03-2008 07:55 PM

Eddie Marine forcing dealers to raise prices!!!!!!!

just a note to anyone who is looking to buy any emi products.
buy it now dont wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just bought my exhaust from douglas marine supply and he told me today that eddie marine just implemented a map pricing program for there dealers meaning they can't sell emi products for less than retail prices. the guys over at d.m.s are willing to honor their old prices for a few more days. I dont know if any of the other dealers are gonna do the same.
if you are thinking of buying dont wait.

scarabmk5

kr1276 04-03-2008 09:57 PM

MAP= Minimum advertised price. This is a broadly used pricing guideline with many manufacturers and not exclusive to the marine business. This is only for advertising, not the actual price that the consumer will pay. Price fixing can bring down some visitors from the government.

mrhorsepower1 04-04-2008 06:38 AM

The reason s MAP price has to be in effect is do to "WHORES" out there like we have seen where Trick went with pricing......right down the toilet. Dealers should all give a fair market price which is already far below retail. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word profit. Most people do not realize "we" as dealers which I am for just about everyone out there, DO NOT make hardly anything for profit. The other thing consumers must realize is not only are you purchasing a product, but many times depending on who your dealing with, your gaining valuable information. If someone buys components from me there usually ask me about 3-10 other questions engine related , which I assist them on. The pricing does need to be even across the board to benefit everyone- consumer,dealer, and manufacturer. Otherwise everyone gets hurt.

kennyo 04-04-2008 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1 (Post 2512550)
The reason s MAP price has to be in effect is do to "WHORES" out there like we have seen where Trick went with pricing......right down the toilet. Dealers should all give a fair market price which is already far below retail. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word profit. Most people do not realize "we" as dealers which I am for just about everyone out there, DO NOT make hardly anything for profit. The other thing consumers must realize is not only are you purchasing a product, but many times depending on who your dealing with, your gaining valuable information. If someone buys components from me there usually ask me about 3-10 other questions engine related , which I assist them on. The pricing does need to be even across the board to benefit everyone- consumer,dealer, and manufacturer. Otherwise everyone gets hurt.

Looks like your membership dues came up also.

Chris Sunkin 04-04-2008 06:47 AM

I think it's a common misperception that there's money to be made in marine parts. Many people think the markup is 50 percent. Half that at list is more likely the case. Once you add in freight, cost of inventory and the sales/support time in hand-holding the customer through the purchase process, than the inevitable cost of returns, etc., there's very little net margin left.

Manufacturers in all industries are tiring of skimmers- people who are not inventorying a product, but selling and drop-shipping. Without the support, most likely the product has issues and that never reflects on the seller, but usually on the manufacturer.

I'm glad to see manufacturers of premium products doing more to reinforce their brands and supporting their legitimate dealers. If you run off all the knowledge, who's going to bail you out when it doesn't work?

mrhorsepower1 04-04-2008 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by kennyo (Post 2512554)
Looks like your membership dues came up also.

no room for smart azz remarks Kenny. :grinser010: I am just stating facts. So think before you start crying.:offtopic:

Audiofn 04-04-2008 07:47 AM

They can set Min. Advertised prices but they can not set minimum sell price. Big difference. Bose plays this game in my industry. They walk a VERY Fine line. In my estimation they cross way over it but hey what do I know. :D It is great that they are trying to show that the product that they sell has value above a good deal. If all the dealers got on board to make profit then this would be great for dealers. We have had some issues with car audio guys coming into our industry and lowering prices. They get a reputation for that and are never made dealers of the quality stuff. Maybe Marine guys need to real in their distribution.

Blizzard 04-04-2008 09:20 AM

A manufacturer can not tell you what you can sell something for. Can set advertising price as was already stated. In my industry also customers think your getting rich owning your own business and having large mark ups making huge profits. Not the case if I was I would have the boat I want and have no payments.

Chris Sunkin 04-04-2008 09:30 AM

They can stop selling to you.