Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Low Ratio BBC Rockers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183707-low-ratio-bbc-rockers.html)

littledcsrodshop 04-04-2008 02:06 AM

Low Ratio BBC Rockers

Does anybody have a set of low ratio BBC rockers (1.5 orso) that they would either like to get rid of , or even loan out , or rent , ect... ????

I know Harland Sharp makes a set of 1.5's for a BBC
I am wanting a set for a bit of extra insurance breaking in a flat tappet cam.

Anybody ????

Thanks , Scott

FunHome 04-04-2008 02:22 AM

Scott, I see your burning the midnight oil!!! Aren't boats fun!!!

Chris Sunkin 04-04-2008 05:57 AM

How many different places are you going to post this? I've found three so far.

mrhorsepower1 04-04-2008 06:28 AM

I am a WD for Harland Sharp if youhave to be new. Why are you looking for them?

littledcsrodshop 04-04-2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by FunHome (Post 2512504)
Scott, I see your burning the midnight oil!!! Aren't boats fun!!!

Hey Brad , Looks like you were up late yourself !! Yeah midnight oil is right... It seems thats about the only time I make boat progress... I got the rear hatch completly fitted ready for paint yesterday evening & then went home & finished up putting the bottom end of the motor togather last night....

4 am to bed & then back here at the shop at 8:00
Everybody should own a boat & be self employed !!! lol...
However I wouldn't trade it....

littledcsrodshop 04-04-2008 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1 (Post 2512543)
I am a WD for Harland Sharp if youhave to be new. Why are you looking for them?

Thanks Dean , My thinking was that it would help lower my open spring pressure & inturn helping with break in. I know it would still be the same on the seat but thought that it couldn't hurt ??

Don't hold me to the exact spring pressures b/c I am a bit short on sleep & my #'s are wrote down at home but I think my pressures are around 135-140# on the seat & somewhere around 340-360# orso open.... I will most likely just remove the inner springs & still use EOS in it & either Rotella t , or the special valvoline that still has the goods in it.... I just thought it would be nice if I could keep from removing the inners ???
Its not the time that it takes to remove & reinstall the inners that bothers me it just that I hate removing springs on an assembled motor.

Anyways If for some reason I decide to buy a new set I will let you know & as always I appritiate your help... Talk to you later , Scott

jeff1000man 04-04-2008 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 2512769)
Thanks Dean , My thinking was that it would help lower my open spring pressure & inturn helping with break in. I know it would still be the same on the seat but thought that it couldn't hurt ??

Don't hold me to the exact spring pressures b/c I am a bit short on sleep & my #'s are wrote down at home but I think my pressures are around 135-140# on the seat & somewhere around 340-360# orso open.... I will most likely just remove the inner springs & still use EOS in it & either Rotella t , or the special valvoline that still has the goods in it.... I just thought it would be nice if I could keep from removing the inners ???
Its not the time that it takes to remove & reinstall the inners that bothers me it just that I hate removing springs on an assembled motor.

Anyways If for some reason I decide to buy a new set I will let you know & as always I appritiate your help... Talk to you later , Scott

I use about the same spring pressure on my flat tappet solid cams and the last 3 I did, (all within the last month) I just used regular Rotella and ran the engine ffor 30mins at 2000-2500 rpms at initial start up and havn't had any problems.

I have a set of used 1.6's that you can use. they need to be torn down and re lubricated and then put back together before use. They have been sitting on the shelf for a long time, and are a little sticky.

Good luck. Jeff

littledcsrodshop 04-04-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2512800)
I use about the same spring pressure on my flat tappet solid cams and the last 3 I did, (all within the last month) I just used regular Rotella and ran the engine ffor 30mins at 2000-2500 rpms at initial start up and havn't had any problems.

I have a set of used 1.6's that you can use. they need to be torn down and re lubricated and then put back together before use. They have been sitting on the shelf for a long time, and are a little sticky.

Good luck. Jeff

Thanks Jeff , I appritiate the offer & will definatly keep that in mind... Glad to hear you had good results with yours , I have never had a problem with one but I just want to make sure I cover all my bases... I know there have been alot of flat tappets wiped out in the last few years... Most of them self inflicted & due to the oil issues I know but just thought extra insurance wouldn't hurt...

I know thats the "normal" cam break in procedure but I just hate cranking a fresh motor & holding it at 1800-2500 RPM's for 20-30 min.... Especially without a load on it. (& yes before somebody says it I understand that the lower ratio rockers would not change that situation.)

Like I said Thanks for the offer & I will let you know...

mrhorsepower1 04-04-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 2512769)

There is absolutely no need to change springs or rocker ratio. On all my engines I DO NOT change a thing for break in. One thing you do not want to do is run the engine at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes to break the camshaft in....You will have washed the rings out of the engine due to excessive fuel run through the engine without proper load applied. I would use Pennzoil 25W50 GT Performance for break in and use. The oil has a good amount of zinc.

littledcsrodshop 04-04-2008 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1 (Post 2512820)
There is absolutely no need to change springs or rocker ratio. On all my engines I DO NOT change a thing for break in. One thing you do not want to do is run the engine at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes to break the camshaft in....You will have washed the rings out of the engine due to excessive fuel run through the engine without proper load applied. I would use Pennzoil 25W50 GT Performance for break in and use. The oil has a good amount of zinc.

I agree on the not wanting to run it at that RPM without a load on it causing the washdown...

Please don't think I am disagreeing with you on the spring pressure issue because as you already know I hold your experiance , reputation , opinion & help in high regaurd... But I am curious as to not worrying about the spring pressure issue ? I am not one of those people that believe everything I read or hear & I know that the cam companys like to cover there butts esp. with the issues they have had over the last few years... I just know that I have always heard & followed that aound 120-130# on the seat was the cutoff for break in... Just courious as to your thinking behind that ? & like I said your opinion is held high & thats why I am asking... I am always willing to learn , esp. from good sources !!