Notices

Diesels for boats

Old 01-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Some blind luck and good foresight!

Thankfully we stopped and put it on the back burner when re realized the costs were approaching "most users can't afford status" and just before the bottom fell out of the economy and the resulting boating economy!

Hope someday there are better affordable diesel options out there!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the deisal's are not that much money when compared to gas motor's the problem lie's with in the drive set up on a pre rigged gas motor with a bravo style drive . if you are buying a brand new boat and get the surface drive's from the beginning i don't think there will be that much off a cost difference .
i have been looking into buying a used boat and replacing gas motor's with deisal's ,the motor's are not that much money it's the dam drive's that cost almost as much as the deisal motor's

example .
FPT 560 hp 1300+ lbs tQ = $ 33,000 and change x 2 == $ 66k

# 8 surface drive's and transmission's x 2 = $ 65k

plus the re rig .

now some 525's will cost the same amount new the differences is u don't have to replace the drive's .

so when buying a brand new 38 to say 45 footer and your spending $250+k the $ 10 k to $20 + for the unbreakable drive's is not that big of a deal but to sink say $ 130 k into a used boat is a lot of $$$ .

just my thought's
mike
Old 01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink $$ per power and speed??

MickeyFin:;

That new Volkswagen 350 TDI diesel is a really nice and well engineered compact package as offered and its 800lb weight, 520 lb/ft of torque and 350 horsepower will nicely equal a HP small block or mild production big block. The 4200 rpm re-limit will be a speed limiter based on torque numbers when its hooked to a 1.5 to 1.65 ratio outdrive though. The real $64K question is what is the actual customer cost for this engine package less drive. If it is the $30Kto $40K I suspect then the question of this engines real potential and excitement begins to wain?

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 01-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Registered

here's another boat story i was looking at " on ebay now "

1995 42 sonic with brand new yanmar " man " 320 deisal's and bravo drive's " all brand new not even in boat yet . here's the problem the drive will probably be ok as long as your careful with it but the speed is so slow for a performance boat . top speed is estimated @ 62 mph ,cruise speed @ 50 to 55 mph .
so this is a good example of the drive problem and having to replace them when putting any type of high hp deisal's in a boat .
they did not want to replace the drive's with upgrade drive's because it would cost to much money so they opted for small hp deisal's and that is fine and will probably get great fuel mpg but it's going to be slow for someone that has had a performance boat before .
the funny thing is this type of boat need'd to cruise at 60 mph or so just to handle the water better in any type of wave's , if you go to slow you will be bouncing all over . need some speed to skip over the top .

mike
Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I saw a 50' Nortech V with triple Yanmar 315s and Bravo drives in the Classifieds. I wonder how fast that boat would run because the seller didn't say lol.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
the deisal's are not that much money when compared to gas motor's the problem lie's with in the drive set up on a pre rigged gas motor with a bravo style drive . if you are buying a brand new boat and get the surface drive's from the beginning i don't think there will be that much off a cost difference .
i have been looking into buying a used boat and replacing gas motor's with deisal's ,the motor's are not that much money it's the dam drive's that cost almost as much as the deisal motor's

example .
FPT 560 hp 1300+ lbs tQ = $ 33,000 and change x 2 == $ 66k

# 8 surface drive's and transmission's x 2 = $ 65k

plus the re rig .

now some 525's will cost the same amount new the differences is u don't have to replace the drive's .

so when buying a brand new 38 to say 45 footer and your spending $250+k the $ 10 k to $20 + for the unbreakable drive's is not that big of a deal but to sink say $ 130 k into a used boat is a lot of $$$ .

just my thought's
mike
Your power train #'s don't jive. The FPT 560's are about 30K each and the ASD8's with gears are 45K for the pair or $95K for the power package.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
Your power train #'s don't jive. The FPT 560's are about 30K each and the ASD8's with gears are 45K for the pair or $95K for the power package.
i only got one quote and as you can see the guy was trying to charge to much , as time get's closer i will call a few more vender's . that is a big differences in price .
so your saying that the asd 8's for a pair with tran's would cost me around $ 45 k ? doe's this include the steering ram's and any thing else i would need for a fresh setup ?

rik when the time come's i will get in touch with u and if i can buy from u that would be great but if not can u refer someone to me

thank's
mike
Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
i only got one quote and as you can see the guy was trying to charge to much , as time get's closer i will call a few more vender's . that is a big differences in price .
so your saying that the asd 8's for a pair with tran's would cost me around $ 45 k ? doe's this include the steering ram's and any thing else i would need for a fresh setup ?

rik when the time come's i will get in touch with u and if i can buy from u that would be great but if not can u refer someone to me

thank's
mike
I can handle your needs direct and yes the current pricing on the gears and the ASD8's is in the ballpark of 45K. Note: All Arneson Surface Drives come complete with trim and steering cylinders. There is no extra charges for these items.

Are you coming to the Miami Boat Show? See me at booth # 4255..
Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
I can handle your needs direct and yes the current pricing on the gears and the ASD8's is in the ballpark of 45K. Note: All Arneson Surface Drives come complete with trim and steering cylinders. There is no extra charges for these items.

Are you coming to the Miami Boat Show? See me at booth # 4255..
thank's , see ya there
mike
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look out for a new Yanmar with high pressure direct injection packaged with a drive rumoured to be 350hp and a solid drive that will stand the HP!

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!

Quick Reply: Diesels for boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.