Notices

Diesels for boats

Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

lol ok I will give you that. sorry for asking, but who is Kitami?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Super Hero boats/racing, later Super Hawaii and Intrepid - Yoshiro Kitami the president, I was a minority owner.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

gotcha. After working for Spectre power boats for a while, I did a very short stint at intrepid before starting at Mastry
Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obrien
gotcha. After working for Spectre power boats for a while, I did a very short stint at intrepid before starting at Mastry
Were you at Intrepid when they built them high speed patrol boats with the Cummins 6 BT engines?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Registered

I built the original 34 & 40 patrol boats with the 6b's, they were SH hulls. I am unaware of any built off the Intrepid hulls?

The 34 was here in NJ for over a year it was one of the test boats that ran 5 days a week for 6-8 hours a day to simulate patrol duty - 50 mph cruise 70 plus top end with 7,000 lbs of load and a full stand up cockpit enclosure.

I have a pic of a 34 on here somewhere and can find more if you like?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intrepid built a couple for the Japanese Coast Guard. They are carried by High Speed Cutters that baby sit cargo ships carrying nuclear fuel. Time to launch the cutter doesn't even slow down the davit swings out and they drop the boat about 30 feet to the water.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Out in the 3d world go fast boats Big Block Chevys get stomped regularly by junkyard dog L-6 Nissans. You need a Chevy Big Block 8.9L or bigger to get 500 hp. Or 56 hp per liter. A used Nissan RB-26 long block with a better turbo and fuel delivery set up will give you an easy 500 hp. Thats 192 hp per liter. If you have money the old boys down in Omori will sell you one blueprinted and tuned to a 1000 hp. Thats 384 hp per liter. An 8.9L BBC would have to put out over 3000 hp to match that. The V-8 was pushed onto the American public because it sounded more marketable.
out in the 3rd world they ain´t got any RB26DETT Nissans or CBB´s for the Matter but over here we do..
I have a good friend who did fiddle with those Nissan Skylines which are copies of Mercedes early 60´s L-6. ALmost identical in every dimension too.
And they do have a fragile point being the Crank and rods. Always have Always will.
back in the days one Rauno Aaltonen drove A Nissan in the Rallies I´ve talked with him too and not that great an engine and certainly not one that was drawn from blank to be a race engine like the Chevy MkIV.
so talking that a CBB can´t take close to 200hp per liter turbocharged is plain bull.
There´s people dioing it over here with Streetcars and Racecars running E85.
One is in fact going in a 28 foot Arrow in Sweden.

But the future will be IMO Volkswagen Marines... look for them with V-6/10/12 TDi´s and own drives soon...
Can´t talk anymore about the matter but a boatbrand named MasMar in Finland is in the project.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-19-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
obrien,

I think your taking things out of context here about multispeeds & Arnesons at least from my comments?

The multispeed trans makes it easier to run the diesels, I probably have more actual experience here than anyone other than RIK running, building diesels and having had the budget to just play at it for years.

Had we had even a true 2 speed back in the day instead of slippers our life would have been much easier!!!! We made half-assed attempts to make a trans think it had 2 speeds and it worked good, so I know it does work and better than 1 speed.

Arneson drives - I have no misconceptions about them, (I've had 3 test boats with them) I think they are great if you know how to maneuver a boat around with the engines at the dock - they spin great - better than stern drives!!!

My point was a sterndrive is easier to handle, you turn the wheel and drive it more like a car - a dummy can dock the boat!

Trim wise, sterndrives seem to me to be able to pry a bad running hull up easier. You can't trim an Arneson up as high to have postive trim angles without the prop loosing bite in my experiences.

If you have a good boat with rocker you don't need pry, I think the sterndrive compenstates for bad hull design better than an Arneson does?
Agree on almost all counts but the one that you have maybe quite a selective memory...
SuperTermioli(sic) knows a thing or two about fast diesels.
I have been playing a bit and see no problem with operatin surface drives.
Currently I´m involved with a boat that is 47 foot long has twin Cats and Surface drives weight about 25Klbs and runs 62mph as we speak. Fuel consumption is 1.2 mpg at cruise @ 48 mph.
Sofar we´ve managed without a 2 speed.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Agree on almost all counts but the one that you have maybe quite a selective memory...
SuperTermioli(sic) knows a thing or two about fast diesels.
I have been playing a bit and see no problem with operatin surface drives.
Currently I´m involved with a boat that is 47 foot long has twin Cats and Surface drives weight about 25Klbs and runs 62mph as we speak. Fuel consumption is 1.2 mpg at cruise @ 48 mph.
Sofar we´ve managed without a 2 speed.
Tell me more...
Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

MikeyFin,

Who is SuperTermioli(sic) ?

Quick Reply: Diesels for boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.