Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183828-future-performance-boating-we-our-own-worst-enemy.html)

pullmytrigger 04-06-2008 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Frequency (Post 2515004)
I know I wave at everybody, but then most people wouldn't consider my boat a performance model. :D

I'll probably take some heat for this, and it's not directed at anyone personally, but in the 8 years I have been going to LOTO I would have to say that 90% of the people in Cig's look through me like I'm not even there when I wave at them. :(

and your boat with 625s would probably spank 3/4s of the Cigs on the water.......

1bagger 04-06-2008 03:20 PM

I learned a long time ago . When I was around 10 years old to get along . When me and my friends rode our dirtbikes around the cottage . We would always wave and smile .
We called it " Good PR " . WE would just idle along the cottage road and made sure to wave to all the neighbors .
Then when were out of sight we would just letter rip .
Then come back after our ride all covered in mud and again smiled and waved to everyone . Did that for years and no one ever complained . I know they could hear our loud 2 stroke bikes . We weren't fooling anyone . But they didn't get upset .
Now my boat is loud and to some can be annoying in a Marina setting .
I make sure to take the other boaters for a ride including their children . Kids love it . The parents offer to give me gas money but I never take it . I have even taken neighbors over 68 years old for a ride . These guys have all got great stories of when they were young and the fast boats they had when they were younger . I love listening to them . I figure it's better to make friends than not . And waving , I ride Harleys too so I wave to everyone Harley Jap bike doesn't matter .
Same with boats Go Fast or Cruiser even almost every Blowboater will wave back then scratch their balding heads wondering who the hell was that ? The how fast does it go and bet it uses a lot of gas questions do get tiresome but big deal . Just give them vague answers . Just be nice .
Paul

tony stamis 04-06-2008 03:27 PM

I always take the time to answer any questions any body asks me about the boat and always through a wave. evreybody has to start some where i am sure most of the people on OSO did not start boating in a 40 ft. ride my first boat was a 19 bayliner that i shared with my brother. I believe what comes around goes around so every azzhole has his day.

stecz20 04-06-2008 03:48 PM

i can say that this thread does not apply to me in the least bit.. i always go out of my way to help others and have no problem answering any questions somoen may have for me... i remember when i was a kid at the shore and i ask a million questions when someon came to the fuel dock...

the rudest people i have ever come accross on the water are the sail boaters... they are rude, and think they own the water.. yes they always have rights over me while under way, but are just rude in general....

this thread goes with life itself.. most of the guys i know are great and would do anything for ya people... if your a dic k your a dic k.... money, boats, planes, nothing is gonna change that.... be treated how you want to be treated....

tanner 04-06-2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Frequency (Post 2515004)
I know I wave at everybody, but then most people wouldn't consider my boat a performance model. :D

I'll probably take some heat for this, and it's not directed at anyone personally, but in the 8 years I have been going to LOTO I would have to say that 90% of the people in Cig's look through me like I'm not even there when I wave at them. :(

Unfortunatly you are right, that is why there are very few members of COTAD :D:

jhiguy377 04-06-2008 03:52 PM

This a fantastic thread and with boating season (for most of us) just around the corner very appropriate. This subject came up a few years ago when someone started a thread about "how awful it is when people ask questions about our boats" or words to that effect. First, offshordrillin' is 100% correct that we're never gonna make all the folks happy and that's not our job anyway. Tanner is also right on the money about money being a multiplier - it happens in every arena and activity- gotta be a spiritual law. Its just that we're highly visible and audible so that performance boating d**kheads do a lot of damage to the sport in general; hopefully they're not the same ones complaining about adverse legislation. Having said that, what a great opportunity it is to be able to share our enthusiasm and knowledge with folks who show up at the docks. Sure some of the questions are silly and even have an edge to them at times - but that comes with the territory. What a great opportunity for positive impressions on someone who may move in other larger circles not to mention that its good just to get to know people. If some of us are truly that put out and annoyed that someone would ask them a question (or several) or stop to admire our boats, perhaps taking up a more private hobby is in order.- Jeff

onesickpantera 04-06-2008 03:57 PM

Where I boat there are a ton of nice people, but there isn't a ton of big performance boats either. I have towed people in, helped people load their boat on a trailer, given away some drain plugs and even climbed in quite a few bilges. There's nothing worse than being broke down on the water so if I can fix something I will at least try. And I wave at everyone I pass, no matter what kind of boat they are in.

You can usually spot an azz hole within the first minute of conversation and I usually won't waste more than two minutes total trying to talk with them.

RollWithIt 04-06-2008 04:39 PM

I gotta agree with what everyone else has been saying. Yes, we can and sometimes are our own worst enemies. But we can also control that through a little PR. I try to always be courteous to other boaters, kayakers, jetskiers, etc.. I think it goes along way to promote our sport. And I do like to talk about my boat, what it has for power and what it does performancewise. If you dont want people to care about your hobby, start collecting stamps or something mundane. We run big flashy boats, they get attention. It is up to us to make sure its good attention.

Bullhead 04-06-2008 05:39 PM

We always try to wave to everyone on the water....it trips me out though how many will not wave back or look irritated as hell and throw up a reluctant hand....have to agree that blowboaters are the worst...the guys in the small fishing boats in the channels are a close second

MacGyver 04-06-2008 05:50 PM

Fishing boats are the worst. Here in Wisconsin, fishing boats far outnumber performance boats. They always park in the channels or right under the high span of a bridge. What do you do? I try to be the good boater and give as much room as I can, but I always seem to get the evil eye. Oh well.