Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? >

The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Notices

The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are right about the blow boaters. They think they rule the waters just because the are on a tack... Damn annoying. How the hell can they take going that slow in the heat of the summer? I know for myself, that I feel like I am melting just idling through the "No Wake" zones. Their whole life is a " No Wake" zone. I dont get it. Ever say to yourself, now heres a good time to slap a torpedo into the belly of that P.O.S.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

I dare say the problem most of you have with fishermen is the same that you have with sailboaters: You don't much understand what they are doing, so you don't appreciate what you are doing to annoy them. Rest assured that many of them find you just as rude and insensitive as you find them.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Njawb
I dare say the problem most of you have with fishermen is the same that you have with sailboaters: You don't much understand what they are doing
I know exactly what they are doing, blocking a navigable waterway with their boats and fishing lines. I get nervous snaking between them thinking I'll snag a line and trash the seal on my drive, but they couldn't care less. I...MUST...CATCH...FISHY!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stecz20
i can say that this thread does not apply to me in the least bit.. i always go out of my way to help others and have no problem answering any questions somoen may have for me... i remember when i was a kid at the shore and i ask a million questions when someon came to the fuel dock...

the rudest people i have ever come accross on the water are the sail boaters... they are rude, and think they own the water.. yes they always have rights over me while under way, but are just rude in general....

this thread goes with life itself.. most of the guys i know are great and would do anything for ya people... if your a dic k your a dic k.... money, boats, planes, nothing is gonna change that.... be treated how you want to be treated....
You are so right.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
My father in law uses the term misanthrope for himself. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Wants to be friendly to everyone, but is just over dealing with all the d'heads of the world. I feel his pain. But I still wave to every boater I pass no matter whether it is shooting a stream of water in the air our using the air for propulsion. It's just second nature to me having grown up on the water.

Great thread BTW.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm also the guy that waves at every boat as I pass.
And I would never leave a fellow boater (no matter what type of boat) stranded.
That is just a law on the water.
But, there are alot of guys with the "big" "fast" offshore boats that have an arrogance that I'd rather not associate with - I've met several hear just this winter.
I'd still tow them in if their chit breaks though.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Njawb
I dare say the problem most of you have with fishermen is the same that you have with sailboaters: You don't much understand what they are doing, so you don't appreciate what you are doing to annoy them. Rest assured that many of them find you just as rude and insensitive as you find them.
njawb,
I have several friends who are avid fishermen and two of them have brought me out to drop a line a few times. These are otherwise really likeable people; there is something very unlikeable however about some of the attitudes that circulate in those circles. One buddy says unapologetically that fishing is the only right use of both the water and boats in general. His rationale is that they are doing something productive regarding bringing home food and being self-reliant. OK, I take his point; but if they are so self-satisfied and at peace with themselves and nature why give other boaters who are being respectful, slowing down to an idle and giving them wide berth and a big smile such animosity? Like I mentioned in my previous post, some folks are just d***kheads, I'm just gonna let'em live in their own miserable (sometimes envious) skins and enjoy the day. - jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered

When I pass fishermen I back down to what I consider is my mildest wake(40+/-) and givem as much room as I can. Bout 50/50 on those that wave back.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Registered

LOL! After thinking! The most people I meet itchin ta give my boat a try are the bass boats with the 225's or 250's hangin off em!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If they're sitting in the middle of the channel they should expect to be rocked. That's what coves are for. If one throws a lead sinker at me they can expect to get their ass kicked! I wave at everyone. The fishermen never wave back. I also like to spank a bass boat every chance I get. You get an even meaner look when you walk on by their Their 300 merc!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Funny how this has become a fishermans fault thread.
ed

Quick Reply: The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.